How old do you want to live to be?

samhexum

As I approach 69, I find the likely hood of assisted living growing on me daily. I just have to accept it as a fact of life. I just need to have a cat with me ... and the occasional younger man.

One advantage of growing as old as I have is that younger men are more plentiful. Willing? Aha, there's the rub!

• 5 months later...

At least until 2101 so I can say I've lived in three different centuries - and judging by how things have gone so far, also be a virgin in three different centuries.... ???

wouldn't being alive by Jan 1, 2100 technically still count, unless we are still looking to get lucky for that entire year ?

It's not how long I live that matters. If someone said to me, "I'll give you just one year left of life, but you can have everything you ever wanted for that entire year", I'd say, "Sign me up."

At the top of that list would be to be a billionaire for my last year on Earth and also to have sex with thousands of gorgeous men.

35 years ago I first heard the song Forever Young sung by a group called Alphaville. My favourite version was later released by Laura Branigan. It had a rather dystopian vision of the world, referring to nuclear annihilation. I was 38 at the time, an age when I thought that might be an attractive notion (living forever, not the nuclear option),

Today I think otherwise and as I see the road ahead is shorter than the one behind me, I don’t feel any remorse or regrets. Sometimes I think with hindsight I might have done some things better, but then I reason that had I made those choices, I wouldn’t have experienced the things that I did. You can’t have everything or do everything but if you can look back and say it was pretty amazing, as I can, then you can face whatever is coming next with serenity.

Here in Canada we have the right to assisted death. I have seen friends choose this in the last two or three years since it was legalized. It’s comforting to know that is out there if things become intolerable.

Jan. 1, 2100, is still the 21st century. The 22nd century doesn't start until Jan. 1, 2101.

While I know that's technically true, the number designating the year was come up with well after "year 1"(and they missed the mark at that) and I think it makes more sense to treat the century designator as cardinal rather than ordinal so the decades slot properly. We don't consider 1990 part of the 80s...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...