How old do you want to live to be?

samhexum

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Though wise men at their end know dark is right,
Because their words had forked no lightning they
Do not go gentle into that good night.

Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,

Wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight,
And learn, too late, they grieved it on its way,

Grave men, near death, who see with blinding sight
Blind eyes could blaze like meteors and be gay,

And you, my father, there on the sad height,
Curse, bless, me now with your fierce tears, I pray.

That’s my plan. Of course with credit to Dylan Thomas. 

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

An 18 year old woman got a job as a stenographer for the Dept of Welfare in 1953.  Today she was honored by the mayor for being the longest-active employee of the city.  She now works for the Administration for Children's Services (ACS), still works an 8 hour day in the legal department, and takes the subway to and from work daily.  She goes to sleep at midnight and gets a headache if she gets more than 5-6 hours of sleep.

"The secret for my long career is that the work has to be challenging," Williams-Myrie said. "This job has meant so much to me over so many years and has made a major impact on my life."

Williams graduated from Theodore Roosevelt High School in the Bronx in 1953. That's when she decided to follow in her father's footsteps by applying for a job with the City of New York.

Although her father worked at the New York City Department of Transportation, she accepted her first job at the age of 18 as a stenographer with what was then called the New York City Department of Welfare -- now the New York City Department of Social Services.

"We started with manual typewriters, we had to use carbon and onion skin and if you made a mistake, you had to do it all over again," she said.

Today, Williams works eight-hours days at ACS as a principal administrative associate in the office of the general counsel.

Edited by samhexum
just for the hell of it

On 11/5/2020 at 6:54 PM, Merboy said:

It's not how long I live that matters. If someone said to me, "I'll give you just one year left of life, but you can have everything you ever wanted for that entire year", I'd say, "Sign me up."

At the top of that list would be to be a billionaire for my last year on Earth and also to have sex with thousands of gorgeous men.

I want to follow you around and pick up the crumbs you leave behind. Especially the handsome ones.😉

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

While unable to sleep the other night, I decided to try to predict the age I will live to by taking the age at which each of my parents died, plus the age at which each of my four grandparents died, and dividing by 6. The result made me a bit nervous: according to that formula, I will die within the coming month☹️. Then I tried the outliers formula, in which I split the ages between the one who lived longest and the one who died youngest. According to that formula, I am already dead😲. However, I then considered the fact that my own health background is most similar to that of my mother, who lived longer than the other five by a good many years, so I threw away the averaging formulas and used the comparison test instead.

10 hours ago, Charlie said:

While unable to sleep the other night, I decided to try to predict the age I will live to by taking the age at which each of my parents died, plus the age at which each of my four grandparents died, and dividing by 6. The result made me a bit nervous: according to that formula, I will die within the coming month☹️. Then I tried the outliers formula, in which I split the ages between the one who lived longest and the one who died youngest. According to that formula, I am already dead😲. However, I then considered the fact that my own health background is most similar to that of my mother, who lived longer than the other five by a good many years, so I threw away the averaging formulas and used the comparison test instead.

I have no idea how old any of my grandparents were when they died, nor where my maternal grandfather is buried.  And since both grandfathers died 33 years before I was born (1929 was not a great year in my family), when my parents were 22 & 8, none of those equations would work out all that well for me in all likelihood.

20 minutes ago, samhexum said:

I have no idea how old any of my grandparents were when they died, nor where my maternal grandfather is buried.  And since both grandfathers died 33 years before I was born (1929 was not a great year in my family), when my parents were 22 & 8, none of those equations would work out all that well for me in all likelihood.

I believe you may a sibling, would that help 

Edited by WilliamM

6 minutes ago, WilliamM said:

I believe you may a sibling, would that help 

It would if I cared.  That's not a snarky response.  I know where the other three are & the one I don't wasn't even a part of my mother's life past the age of 8, so I don't really have any curiosity about him.  I'm not a big 'where did I come from' person.

I can remember being at my dad's mom's apartment, or her being at other people's homes when I was there, but don't have any memories of specific interactions with her.

I have happy memories of my mom's mom, making noodles from scratch with her, or eating the delicious hamburgers she made in a table-top oven.  I wish she'd passed down her recipe, but she didn't.  She lived a few blocks from the Yeshiva in which I was imprisoned through December 4th of 5th grade, so I occasionally saw her during the evening furlough.

2 hours ago, Charlie said:

Depending on how old you are now, that it either encouraging or disturbing.

Well, actually neither encouraging nor disturbing, @Charlie, just kind of normal or expected. I am in my mid-sixties, so thinking of late seventies is not a total disaster. And then again, my paternal grandmother died at 100 years old, so there might be hope 🤷🏻🤣

I went to the DMV a couple of weeks ago to renew my driver's license, and the new license came in the mail on Friday. I was appalled by my photo on it: I didn't realize I already looked that old! It looks like a candidate for the "before" photo in a Plexaderm commercial. Maybe it's a reality check on how long I should want to live.

On 2/11/2024 at 12:27 PM, Charlie said:

There have been many medical advances since your grandparents' time. I'd say compare their ages at death to life expectancy for their birth year for that calculation.

My grandfather died at 77 in 1970 of hepatitis from a blood transfusion. But he was working full time as a hotel manager at that age. If not for that event  that current screening methods would prevent, and even if it didn't, is treatable today, he'd probably have made it to 90.

My other grandfather died of complications of diabetes at about 70 in the 1960s, but today with insulin pumps etc. more people are able to successfully manage it.

Pops died at 62 but he was a chainsmoker of unfiltered cigarettes for 50+ years. I'm not going out like he did.

I figure barring random cancer/accidents/brain aneurysm, most not-financially struggling people  who generally take care of themselves can expect to get to 80something. After that it's a crapshoot. There doesn't seem to be dementia in my family tree, but I do worry about mobility.

My parents and grandparents all died natural deaths, but of different kinds. My maternal grandfather died at 55 of an apparently congenital heart condition, which seems to have affected some other family members in every generation--one of my younger cousins died of it at 30--but since I have no sign of it, I consider him really irrelevant to my prediction. My father was in excellent shape until he suddenly developed acute leukemia at 72 and died within four months of diagnosis; I suspect that it was the result of working unprotected for years with certain chemicals, since no one else in the family has ever had it. It is kind of a rogue cause, but of course I could also die of something unexpected like that (I thought about that a lot during the early days of the AIDS epidemic). My grandmothers both died of medical conditions--tuberculosis and diabetes--when they were younger than I am now. My paternal grandfather died of kidney failure, but he was already long past the expected age of death for someone born in 1870. My mother, on the other hand, was successfully cured of both colon cancer and breast cancer in her 70s and 80s, and died simply of old age at 102. I think I am most likely to be like her, though I really do not want to live that long (and neither did she).

Edited by Charlie