How old do you want to live to be?

samhexum

It’s not so much a specific age that I’ve fixed on, but the thought of being largely incapacitated towards the end of my life terrifies me. Hopefully I’ll be given some warning of the approach of this period, so that I can walk out into the ocean. Life is for living, and if you aren’t living it, you may as well get out!

Too fun! Sadly, some warning signs are already here! Hmmm, where is my car parked right now...? :eek:

I have always lost my car. Unless it is parked on a street with a bus line. There's a message there.

Here's some good news for you, you ... youngster ...

The day I start referring to people as "youngster."

But seriously...

My mom always said when it is your time, it is your time. Not a minute sooner or later, so live your life. I want to live until it is my time.

For mom, "time" was two days and six hours before her 76th birthday. Her 75th birthday party was amazing and her post-memorial service party was like every other family event - at my brother's house with family and friends laughing and joking and eating till they were too stuffed to walk. In other words, as she would have wanted it.

As an aside, about halfway through the part, one of the guests slipped up and asked why my mother wasn't there. She was totally embarrassed and my brother and I laughed our heads off. We were sure mom was laughing, too.

• 1 month later...

I hope I dont live to an age when I have so much time on my hands, I make a hobby of useless activities, and promote it.

If you know someone whom you frequently want to advise "get a life", you should take comfort they havent declined to the PressTube (on YouTube) level.

We'll have to disagree on this one. If I could be making cool videos like this one in my retirement years I would consider time well spent. Heck I'd consider it time well spent now. I've just subscribed. :D

The day I start yelling at those damned kids to get off my lawn! (and I don't have a lawn)

I remember us kids playing in the street in the summer. It was the 60's, and not many had AC. Our ball often went onto the neighbor's lawn. He and his wife used to sit on the porch every evening. One evening, Mr. got out of the chair, and came down and scooped up the ball. We didn't know what to do (back then, elders were respected). Since I lived directly across the street, I went up towards his porch and asked if we could have the ball back. Although he and his wife were not all that involved with the kids in the neighborhood, I was surprised how kind he was to toss it back to me.

And, to answer your question: How old do you want to live to be?

Till the money runs out.

Edited by bashful

A good friend of mine has been in home hospice now since June. As she says, her spirit is completely prepared to leave, but her body refuses to let go. My mother went through the same process, except that she was psychologically ready to go

in her mid-90s, but didn't enter hospice till she was 102. I hope that I am spared that. I would like to be healthy and independent until the end, and then learn that I have exactly one week left before the breath stops. Fat chance![/QUOte]

Everyone wishes for an easy end. Many get it. Many dont.

I have an update to my answer.

I hope I dont live to an age when I have so much time on my hands, I make a hobby of useless activities, and promote it.

If you know someone whom you frequently want to advise "get a life", you should take comfort they havent declined to the PressTube (on YouTube) level.

Have you seen the "Will it blend?" videos?

I can't afford financially to break any records. When Beethoven was my age, he had been dead for 11 years. There are things in the not distant future I would not mind missing. Meanwhile I manage to muddle through and occasionally enjoy myself. It pays to be accepting and adaptable. I have a good friend of my late parents who will be 101 in January. Sharp as a tack. We speak on the phone occasionally. She now lives in the medical unit of the assisted living facility she moved into a decade ago in Virginia (otherwise I would visit her.) She says she is frail, but sounds mentally alert. She and her son were very close and dependent on each other. She was widowed, and he divorced. He died of cancer at age 65. I thought she would go completely to pieces, but no. That was more than a decade ago. One never knows.

I am struggling with the question and planning retirement. If I knew my life would end at 65, I would walk into the office tomorrow and retire. Financially, I have saved enough to make it there.

However both of my grandmothers live to be 99. If I am going to live that long, I need to work another 15+ years.

I can totally relate to your dilemma. It is like when to take Social Security. If you take it early, you collect for 2 or 3 extra years, just less. If you wait, you collect more, but it will take you quite a few years to make up for the total you would have collected if you had filed early. If you plan to live to be 99, file late. If you plan to check out at 75, file early. Basically, you are betting on how long you are going to live.

While anything can happen, everyone should be aware that cancer aside, modern medicine is pretty good at keeping even fairly unhealthy people from dying. When I hear people saying they don't save for retirement because they won't live that long I tell them about my brother-in-law's mother. 80+, diabetic, had her first heart attack at 55, still kicking. Most heart disease can be managed or avoided if you take cholesterol meds and get checkups, and that's the thing that usually takes people young.

And Dick Cheney is still alive last I heard, but I think he's made some sort of deal.

There are actually risks to standing all the time too. Basically you need to move as much as you can manage.

Sam, physical therapy has made leaps and bounds in the last 20 years in terms of what they can do. I strongly recommend you check them out, and make sure to get one who spends the whole hour with you versus working on you with five other client. It hasn't eliminated my issues, but after nine months of doing the exercises they gave me I felt better than I had in decades.

Edited by sniper

There are actually risks to standing all the time too. Basically you need to move as much as you can manage.

Sam, physical therapy has made leaps and bounds in the last 20 years in terms of what they can do. I strongly recommend you check them out, and make sure to get one who spends the whole hour with you versus working on you with five other client. IT hasn't eliminated my issues, but after nine months of doing the exercises they gave me I felt better than I had in decades.

+1

Get out and move. It will do a body and mind good.