How old do you want to live to be?

samhexum

I am struggling with the question and planning retirement. If I knew my life would end at 65, I would walk into the office tomorrow and retire. Financially, I have saved enough to make it there.

However both of my grandmothers live to be 99. If I am going to live that long, I need to work another 15+ years.

While anything can happen, everyone should be aware that cancer aside, modern medicine is pretty good at keeping even fairly unhealthy people from dying. When I hear people saying they don't save for retirement because they won't live that long I tell them about my brother-in-law's mother. 80+, diabetic, had her first heart attack at 55, still kicking. Most heart disease can be managed or avoided if you take cholesterol meds and get checkups, and that's the thing that usually takes people young.

It really depends on what shape I'm in. My sister is disabled and lives in a nursing home. Her roommate is 99 and while she uses a wheelchair, that's only because of balance issues. She can still stand and go to the bathroom etc herself and has her marbles. I'd be happy to live that long as functional as she is. My sister, who is not yet 60, has a catheter, wears a diaper, can't walk, and now her arms are starting to go. And she is fully aware of it. I would not want to live like that. Though I suppose if it happens gradually you learn to put up with it.

Sobering. Does she want to keep living? My heart goes out to her.

Hard for me to get my head around this question. My parents always said if they lived to 80 it would be great (they both did, my dad 80+10days, mom 84). I'll be 67 in a couple of weeks - I can't imagine that I will decline that much in 13 years. How long do I want to live? I'd love to see where the world is in 10 or 20, years but I would also be OK if I went in my sleep tonight. What I don't want is to live beyond my expiration date!:confused::)

I think 75 sounds right. That's about how old my parents were when they died. That's a good long life.

Of course, it's fine to think about it, and I do, as though you control it. But then events can intervene. My mother had a stroke a year before she died, and I am sure she would have preferred to skip that final year.

I have a friend who's turning 98 and she was playing tennis and skiing in her early 90s. Still pretty spry. I'd love to live into my 90s if I could stay active--especially sexually. I think that if I ever have to choose between my prostate and my life, I'll get my Smith & Wesson out of the drawer...

932579_01_smith_wesson_38_special_ctg_re_640.jpg

Don't wanna come off as ageist or anything, but I simply don't want to be old and unable to do the things I enjoy unless I end up deciding to have kids eventually when I enter my 40s. Even then, I probably still wouldn't want to live over 65 lol. I panic sometimes just thinking about the fact I'll be turning 50 in less than 14 yrs :/ 40 in less than 4!!!

Did any of you older gents suddenly start feeling this way when you entered your mid 30's? I used to not think about age much before, and find myself obsessing about it all the time now. I went from always being the baby in relationships, to now being the daddy, something I still haven't gotten used to yet...

Guest DeepSouthDad53
I would like to live as long as I am physically and mentally able to have fun and enjoy life and not be a burden to myself or anyone else.

Agreed, and I'd like to be able to work at least part-time if I choose to do so.

I have an update to my answer.

I hope I dont live to an age when I have so much time on my hands, I make a hobby of useless activities, and promote it.

If you know someone whom you frequently want to advise "get a life", you should take comfort they havent declined to the PressTube (on YouTube) level.

Edited by LaffingBear

...I panic sometimes just thinking about the fact I'll be turning 50 in less than 14 yrs :/ 40 in less than 4!!!...

Here's some good news for you, you ... youngster ...

Sometime after you have passed those intimidating milestones, 4o will seem so young.

And then, before you know it, 50 will.

And then, when you're still feeling just fine, you may want to revise your current exit plan.

... modern medicine is pretty good at keeping even fairly unhealthy people from dying ...

It sure is! So much so that sometimes the aforementioned warranties lapse, and the natural expiration dates pass, and ... still ... life keeps happening ...

Posing the risk that the quantity of it will exceed the quality of it.

It was great to see my mother enjoying herself and being taken for a lively, vital, fun 75-year-old when she was past 90.

But it was not so great to see a woman who had always been an active person get to the point of needing supplemental oxygen 24/7, come damn close to outliving her mobility, and feel just disgusted that (I quote) "doctors are my social life now."

She made it to 96, and she was heroic about the challenges that came with that number. Since I'm sure I couldn't live up to her example, better to check out a little sooner, I think.

Don't wanna come off as ageist or anything, but I simply don't want to be old and unable to do the things I enjoy unless I end up deciding to have kids eventually when I enter my 40s. Even then, I probably still wouldn't want to live over 65 lol. I panic sometimes just thinking about the fact I'll be turning 50 in less than 14 yrs :/ 40 in less than 4!!!

Did any of you older gents suddenly start feeling this way when you entered your mid 30's? I used to not think about age much before, and find myself obsessing about it all the time now. I went from always being the baby in relationships, to now being the daddy, something I still haven't gotten used to yet...

"always the daddy" at 37? Seriously? Are you only hanging out with college kids? I mean if you put "25 and under only" in your profile that's a recipe for feeling ancient. I always find that odd when people angrily put in their profiles that they will only consider ages 18 all the way up to one year younger than they (claim they) are.

I'm wondering if all the 60 year olds you know are heavy smokers or something. I mean don't get me wrong 40something is not the same as 20 something, but the majority of 60 year olds are getting around fine, just not doing jump boxes at CrossFit.

Sobering. Does she want to keep living? My heart goes out to her.

You know, before the MS progressed too far I remember her expressing support for Dr. Kevorkian because she would want the option should it get too bad. But then a few years ago when she came to live with me and we were doing medical directive stuff, she wanted to be kept alive in pretty much every scenario listed. I think she's just adjusted to each new stage, better than I would have certainly. For me personally anything beyond losing the use of my legs would be where I would draw the line. I believe I could deal with being in a wheelchair if I had the use of my arms. I couldn't deal with needing to be fed/changed/etc.

You know, before the MS progressed too far I remember her expressing support for Dr. Kevorkian because she would want the option should it get too bad. But then a few years ago when she came to live with me and we were doing medical directive stuff, she wanted to be kept alive in pretty much every scenario listed. I think she's just adjusted to each new stage, better than I would have certainly. For me personally anything beyond losing the use of my legs would be where I would draw the line. I believe I could deal with being in a wheelchair if I had the use of my arms. I couldn't deal with needing to be fed/changed/etc.

I've always had nightmares about losing my sight, although I have no family history of blindness. It has always been something that terrified me, and if that were ever to happen, I dont think I would be able to cope and would want to die.. Sight is an invaluable GIFT and is the guiding light IMO. I need to be self-sufficient and functional.

I don't have an age that I want to live up to, but I would prefer death if it gets to the point I am not able to do anything for myself. I want to be able to continue using the restroom, bathing and eating all on my own. Along with being able to drive, shop, and converse with people without any trouble.

I don't have an age that I want to live up to, but I would prefer death if it gets to the point I am not able to do anything for myself. I want to be able to continue using the restroom, bathing and eating all on my own. Along with being able to drive, shop, and converse with people without any trouble.

Once I lose my fashion sense, it's OVER. Elastic waist khakis pulled up to my chest, destination t-shirts, and velcro sneakers would put me in my grave.

A good friend of mine has been in home hospice now since June. As she says, her spirit is completely prepared to leave, but her body refuses to let go. My mother went through the same process, except that she was psychologically ready to go in her mid-90s, but didn't enter hospice till she was 102. I hope that I am spared that. I would like to be healthy and independent until the end, and then learn that I have exactly one week left before the breath stops. Fat chance!

"always the daddy" at 37? Seriously? Are you only hanging out with college kids? I mean if you put "25 and under only" in your profile that's a recipe for feeling ancient. I always find that odd when people angrily put in their profiles that they will only consider ages 18 all the way up to one year younger than they (claim they) are.

I'm wondering if all the 60 year olds you know are heavy smokers or something. I mean don't get me wrong 40something is not the same as 20 something, but the majority of 60 year olds are getting around fine, just not doing jump boxes at CrossFit.

No, I actually don't date or hire guys under 25, with a few exceptions here & there, just no one under 23 for sure. Never been attracted to young immature boys, not even back when I was the same age as them. Twinks in particular tend to gross me out. I also said that I was always the baby in relationships before and find myself playing the daddy role more often now, not that I was always the daddy lol. 25-35 has always been my ideal age for guys even back when I was a young boi.

The day I can't wipe my own ass anymore, please put a bullet in my head ...

Thank you.

Even if you have a hot muscle stud to wipe your ass and feed you?

Kidding aside, yeah, I want to be able to drive, walk , travel, eat, wipe my ass on my own.