Gay movie you liked

MassageDrew

I'm continuing my march through the LGBT movies on Amazon Prime.

Today I watched Before the Fall , set in modern day rural Virginia.

The movie is very polished compared to some of the others on Prime. I likened it to a nighttime soap opera, and now that I've read synopsis of the story and reviews of the movie, that kind of makes sense. I won't say any more about that to avoid spoilers, other than Before the Fall is akin to a well done made for TV dramatic movie, perhaps something like what you'd see on the Hallmark Channel. It's a good thing. I liked this movie.

The movie has a well rounded cast, all parts are well acted and the players are nice looking. James Ivory said it helps if your cast is pretty and I'd say Before the Fall has other Prime movies I've watched beat on that category.

There is quite a bit of stunning, panoramic scenery that the director returns to several times. It works.

So if you have Prime and are wondering about all the choices, grab a bowl of popcorn and try this one next time your are staying in. This is one of the better ones.

MV5BNjVkNGZjYTktZjIwMi00MTc5LTkxNzAtNGNmMGNiOGE2M2Q4XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTYxMTg0MDE@._V1_.jpg

I recently saw the original La Cage aux Folles, but because I had seen "The Birdcage" first and a long time ago, it just seemed like the French remake of "The Birdcage". It made me want to watch Robin Williams and Nathan Lane, but I can totally see why the original was such a hit (and why the musical was made).

I just watched "Latter Days" for the first time and enjoyed it. So I decided to look up one of its stars, Steve Sandvoss, who played the very beautiful young Mormon Missionary, Aaron, in the movie, with memorable nude scenes. There are many pictures of Steve on the web, and he was very beautiful, with a magnificent body. He seems to have posed for many pictures , although I am not sure of the purposes.

0001ttcr

Steve was from Westchester, NY, and attended Harvard, where he graduated with honors in 2002, majoring in Literature. Then he and his two brothers went out to L.A. to get into movies. Steve was hired in two weeks to be in "Latter Days." His two brothers became producers in L.A. For seven years, Steve acted in various movies and tv programs, but in 2010, he and his brother Trystan decided they really wanted to be farmers, and they left L.A. Their father had died when they were teenagers, and their mother remarried, a man who had a large dairy farm in upstate New York. Steve, who now changed his name to Max, and his brother Trystan, bought a small farm next to their parents and began raising goats, to make artisanal cheese. They have now been at it for eight years and are very successful, selling their cheese in eight East Coast states. Steve frequently travels and gives talks about cheese making and what can be cooked with their cheeses. I do not know if he is married.

Steve+Sandvoss.bmp

There are a number of shots of Steve with very low slung pants on the web, and there is even an article entitled, "There are no low-slung pants which Steve hasn't tried."

I recently saw the original La Cage aux Folles, but because I had seen "The Birdcage" first and a long time ago, it just seemed like the French remake of "The Birdcage". It made me want to watch Robin Williams and Nathan Lane, but I can totally see why the original was such a hit (and why the musical was made).

I think the first adaptation of the novel was the French film La Cage aux Folles (1978) and that The Birdcage (1996) was either a remake or an American film based on the same novel. It's understandable that the first version one sees would look like the 'original' and other versions irrespective of when they were made appear to be the 'remake' but it ain't necessarily so.

Same deal with Seven Samurai and The Magnificent Seven.

I just watched "Latter Days" for the first time and enjoyed it. So I decided to look up one of its stars, Steve Sandvoss, who played the very beautiful young Mormon Missionary, Aaron, in the movie, with memorable nude scenes.

Love that movie.

Such an old movie but here is a SPOILER warning.

The scene always gets me where Wes Ramsey drops the tray, they hug, and then Jaqueline Bisset tells the older gay couple "he's a very good tipper."

Edited by E.T.Bass

Colin also did A Month in the Country with Rupert Everett. I believe that Rupert. Daniel Day Lewis, Colin Firth all played the lead role at one time in London West End prior to the film.

I finally saw A Month In The Country. Actually it does star Colin Firth in one of his first movie roles but he plays opposite Kenneth Branagh in his very first movie role. It is a very loving, gentle film and both guys are magnificent. It takes place in Edwardian England, just after WWI. Although there is no physical gay relationship between the two leads (actually Firth falls in love with Natasha Richardson in one of her first movie roles) the movie is very explicit that Branagh is gay and has been punished during the war for being so. There is some implication that he has perhaps a developing crush on the Firth character but it is not a developing plot line. The movie is well worth seeing for the three lead performances (along with very strong performances by younger later well known British actors, such as Jim Carter, i.e., Mr. Carson in Downton Abbey). The movie was released in a restored version.

Edited by TruthBTold

Not sure if this counts (and I'll delete the post if it doesn't), but there's a terrific short (20 minute) Mexican film, "Tremulo,"[there should be an accent over the 'e']:

Very sweet and touching. It's in Spanish but you'll be able to follow it if you don't know the language. There was a subtitled version that I can't locate at the moment.

Edited by prof

• 1 year later...

Not sure if this counts (and I'll delete the post if it doesn't), but there's a terrific short (20 minute) Mexican film, "Tremulo,"[there should be an accent over the 'e']:

Very sweet and touching. It's in Spanish but you'll be able to follow it if you don't know the language. There was a subtitled version that I can't locate at the moment.

I'm glad this thread was revived & that I spotted this post. "Trémulo" was terrific - a sweet, simple story with a couple of very good, and hot, young actors. If you search for "Tremulo Julian Hernandez" on YouTube, a version pops up with English subtitles.

Guest Jason317

I love Latter Days. Steve Sandvoss was such a beauty. Sorry If I've said this like ten times before. :oops:

That movie is awesome and gives me goosebumps when he speaks!

It is always hard to decide what is a "gay movie." Putting that aside and hoping not to repeat and in no particular order, I have really liked:

1. Beautiful Thing

2. The Opposite of Sex

3. Happy Endings

4. The Day Trippers

5. My Beautiful Laundrette

6. Beginners

7. Bound

8. Gods and Monsters

9. Prick Up Your Ears

I have to admit that Angels in America is my favorite in general.

your list is almost identical to my top 10 but in a different order

1. le vie en rose

2. My Beautiful Laundrette

3. Prick Up Your Ears

4. Beautiful Thing

5. boys on the side

6. Beginners

7. Bound

8. Gods and Monsters

9. The Opposite of Sex