Gay movie you liked

MassageDrew

I noticed that Netflix is going to be showing the most recent Boys In The Band. Also Ewan McGregor (one of my favorites) is going to be play the lead in Halston.

P.S. I apologize because there is another thread about Boys In The Band. I wrote this mainly to note that you can do a save on Netflix which I had not known about.

Edited by TruthBTold

Slightly on topic.

The movie Dear White People was written and directed by a gay man.

One of the main characters, Lionel, is gay. I love the character and how that character is portrayed.

There are also other LGBTQ characters.

And yes, there is a separate thread that discussed this movie, but in a different context.

dear-white-people-2014.jpg?quality=80&w=807

I finally saw A Month In The Country. Actually it does star Colin Firth in one of his first movie roles but he plays opposite Kenneth Branagh in his very first movie role. It is a very loving, gentle film and both guys are magnificent. It takes place in Edwardian England, just after WWI. Although there is no physical gay relationship between the two leads (actually Firth falls in love with Natasha Richardson in one of her first movie roles) the movie is very explicit that Branagh is gay and has been punished during the war for being so. There is some implication that he has perhaps a developing crush on the Firth character but it is not a developing plot line. The movie is well worth seeing for the three lead performances (along with very strong performances by younger later well known British actors, such as Jim Carter, i.e., Mr. Carson in Downton Abbey). The movie was released in a restored version.

CF is great in this film. I always enjoy him.

I found a CF fan site discussing the film including how the movie portrays the two paths taken after war, Moon vs. Birkin.

The DVD includes film critic commentary.

• 4 weeks later...

During my life, I have had passionate affairs, albeit one sided, with William Hurt, Terence Stamp, and Paul Newman. Movies at one time had the magical ability to produce characters we could fall in love with--when real life provided no alternative--and actors to whom we could, at least in our imagination, transfer this infatuation.

Three older movies well worth seeing and scarcely mentioned in this thread:

1. Kiss of the Spider Woman (1985)

2. Billy Budd (1962)

3. Cat on a Hot Tin Roof (1958)

William Hurt won an Academy Award for best actor in playing a gay Latin American political prisoner in Kiss of the Spider Woman. Although marginalized by straight society, his character was admirably honest, seduced his straight cellmate, and demonstrated his heroism in the end.

Terence Stamp was a handsome and innocent Billy Budd in this adaptation of the Herman Melville seagoing novella. Hard to believe this young stud is the same actor who later played one of the three major characters. the older woman, in Priscilla, Queen of the Desert. I fell head over heels for the young Billy Budd/Terence Stamp and readily perceived his treatment at the hands of the evil Claggart was based on the fact that he, too, had fallen in love with Billy Budd. Although there is nothing overtly gay about Billy Budd, the tension of its understated homoeroticism makes it one of my all time favorite gay movies.

Paul Newman (Brick) wouldn't make love to his wife Elizabeth Taylor (Maggie), which, of course, made Maggie like a cat on a hot tin roof. In this movie adaptation of the Tennessee Williams play, which is about way more than their marriage, the reason remains somewhat murky but the play makes it clear he is still carrying a torch for the quarterback he played high school football with who committed suicide by jumping out of a hotel window. Maggie the cat understands what's going on and her jealousy knows no bounds. Although Maggie triumphs in the end, the thought of Paul Newman getting it on with his quarterback--and later brooding about it--was delicious to contemplate.

Billy Budd. Great book. Great movie, nice catch Old Blue.

Any movie by André Téchiné is very good and almost always very gay.

His most famous and best, Wild Reeds.

A damn Good one about a young male French Prostitute:

And his most recent one, also very good. Being 17

Sorry if some of these were already posted.

Edited by Rod Hagen

Billy Budd. Great book. Great movie, nice catch Old Blue.

Any movie by André Téchiné is very good and almost always very gay.

His most famous and best, Wild Reeds.

A damn Good one about a young male French Prostitute:

And his most recent one, also very good. Being 17

Sorry if some of these were already posted.

Billy Budd is also a great opera by Benjamin Britton.

Two years ago I posted links to two very good gay movies in their entirety. Unfortunately, both links are dead, so here are the trailers. I recommend both movies:

This Special Friendship

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0057842/

For A Lost Soldier

Careful, the for a Lost Soldier video has MAJOR spoilers, but any link I posted to either video had pictures of kids on the freeze fram which would get me kicked off the Message Center.

Edited by Rod Hagen