Gay movie you liked

MassageDrew

On 4/20/2023 at 5:35 PM, Unicorn said:

I really enjoyed this movie, and think a lot of guys here, too would like it (incidentally, the scene depicted in this photo with his holding the gun to himself never appears in the movie):

You can watch it for free with ads on Tubi, or for $3 on Amazon or YouTube. Also for free on subscription service dekkoo. 

Terrible script.
Worse acting.
I’m struggling at the 30 min. mark…does it get any better?

Addendum….for the record the gun scene occurs…at least twice. 

Edited by nycman

• 3 months later...
1 minute ago, manforme said:

Latter Days. I liked it more than most gay theme movies I have seen. I also liked Handsome Devil (an Irish movie). There are a few others, but I have to try to recall their titles. 

1 minute ago, manforme said:

Latter Days. I liked it more than most gay theme movies I have seen. I also liked Handsome Devil (an Irish movie). There are a few others, but I have to try to recall their titles. 

'Beautiful Things' is very good too. I like romance  themes. 'Departure' too, is good.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/12/2021 at 10:48 AM, BenjaminNicholas said:

This thread sorta explains why I don't watch a lot of 'gay' films to begin with.

It usually becomes more about how good looking the characters are (or nudity) versus the quality of writing and performance.

Sweetie.  You of all people should know we can be both smart and sexy.  Or, we can have our movie cake and eat our movie eye candy, too.  Or at least imagine what it would be like to eat it.  😉

This is an awesome thread.  I just read it, years after it started.  For the record, if I had to name one LGBTQ masterpiece I'd go for God's Own Country.  But below is my list of films that have not been mentioned once here, that I really enjoyed and I think are worth watching.

There's several articles out now about movies to watch after RWRB, if you want more of the same.  So this can be taken that way.  None will be on a Top 10 list, including my own.  I left out the great LGBTQ documentaries and dramas about serial killers.  These are all either Gay love stories, or moving stories about families that involve a Gay father or son or loved one.  Almost all have one form or another of serious eye candy, usually Straight guys playing Gay men.  Which I named in parentheses.

Akron  (both male leads)

Circuit (both male leads)

Defying Gravity (both male leads)

Eating Out (the whole series)

Giant Little Ones (too bad Darren Mann isn't Gay)

Jonathon (Jannis Niewohner, in anything.  Or nothing.)

Jongens / Boys (both male leads)

Kapoor & Sons (Sidharth Malhotra)

La Partida/ The Last Match (both male leads)

Le Clan/3 Dancing Slaves (the whole male cast, but especially Salim Kechiouche and Thomas Kumerchez in the other even sexier boat house scene compared to Maurice.  Unsolicited advice for RWRB sequel ..... steal this scene (we know TZP has a hairy ass), and the line "Rape me, but don't hurt me.")

Le Fil/ The String (Salim Kechiouche, again, in anything ...  ideally naked)

Longtime Companions  (the first time Dermot Mulroney broke my heart)

Man Of The Year (too bad Dirk Shafer never had an Amazon movie budget to worth with)

Maybe Maybe Not (not .......... but Til Schweiger is still pretty)

Parting Glances  (I still think John Bolger looks like a Ken doll)

Presque rien/Come Undone (both male leads)

Punch (Jordan Oosterhof knocked me out)

Rocket Man (I always thought Bernie Taupin was cute, and Jamie Bell is adorable)

Snails In The Rain (not as good as Yossi & Jagger, but Yoav Reuvani is even prettier)  

Someone Has To Die (which sucks, but they are still gorgeous)

Sommersturm (Kostja Ullmann, who also looked good getting whipped in Punish Me)

The Skinny (most of the cast)

The Thing About Harry (both male leads, and even more brainless and fun than RWRB)

Your Name Engraved Herein (both male leads)

Unless I missed it, none of these were mentioned.  Except for the last one, which was actually mentioned a few times in the thread, as "depressing."  So I included it to say I loved it.  I guess the depressing part is boy meets boy, boy loses boy, and boy never gets boy back.  Or does he?  I think that's left open to interpretation.  It is the most successful LGBTQ movie in Taiwan ever, as well as the most popular Taiwanese film of 2020, period.  I think it could be taken as a societal recognition of what was wrong in a world in which two guys couldn't just meet and get married when they were young, horny, and sexy as hell.  It's a better world now.  And the commercial success of this movie proves it, I think.

I'm guessing almost every one of these movies, especially the older ones, was very difficult to get funding for.  Hopefully this thread is just getting started. 😉

Edited by stevenkesslar

On 12/21/2022 at 3:54 PM, samhexum said:

I saw that whilst on a work trip in NC.  It was on a double feature with 10 Things I Hate About You, which starred Heath Ledger, whom I heard was also once part of a cinematic gay couple.

Two bits of trivia- Scott Wolf is the cousin of comedian Josh Wolf (best-known from CHELSEA LATELY) and Jay Mohr is engaged to the owner of the Lakers.

On 12/21/2022 at 10:14 PM, MikeBiDude said:

I used to think he was cute/handsome. Time marches on…

spacer.png

They've gotten hitched.

On 8/31/2023 at 3:57 PM, stevenkesslar said:

Le Clan/3 Dancing Slaves (the whole male cast, but especially Salim Kechiouche and Thomas Kumerchez in the other even sexier boat house scene compared to Maurice.  Unsolicited advice for RWRB sequel ..... steal this scene (we know TZP has a hairy ass), and the line "Rape me, but don't hurt me.")

Le Fil/ The String (Salim Kechiouche, again, in anything ...  ideally naked)

For your additional (albeit non-gay) entertainment:

"Salim Kechiouche has appeared in full-frontal nude scenes in at least two films. In Francois Ozon's 1999 film, Les Amants Criminels, released as Criminal Lovers in the U.S. A few years later, Kechiouche had a lengthy full-frontal scene in Grande École."   (from his Wikipedia page)

And... gay again!

Le Foto Hot Del Bell Attore Francese Salim Kechiouche Gay It

Edited by Marc in Calif

18 hours ago, Marc in Calif said:

For your additional (albeit non-gay) entertainment:   Criminal Lovers 

Wait.

If I intentionally watched Salim get (you know what) by the boyfriend of the woman he is fucking while he is almost naked in a shower, that does kind of make me Gay.  Doesn't it?

It also proves that us Gay guys are far more gracious when we are being fucked by gorgeous men, I think.  😉

Edited by stevenkesslar

On 9/14/2023 at 7:59 PM, handiacefailure said:

I really liked Any Day Now with Alan Cumming   Based on a true story.   I thought he was great in the part   Really sad movie though

Was that the one with the Kid who has Downs Syndrome?  That movie was very good.

Edited by Rod Hagen

• 2 weeks later...

With my library card I was able to stream Brazilian 2015 film "Seashore" on Kanopy.com

Many of you might compare it to watching paint dry.  I get it.  The film is quiet and the pace is very slow.

But for me Seashore weaves a poignant, coming of age story, with clever direction and spare dialogue, how I like some films.  I will watch it again.

spacer.png

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/21/2022 at 3:54 PM, samhexum said:

I saw that whilst on a work trip in NC.  It was on a double feature with 10 Things I Hate About You, which starred Heath Ledger, whom I heard was also once part of a cinematic gay couple.  Two bits of trivia- Scott Wolf is the cousin of comedian Josh Wolf (best-known from CHELSEA LATELY) and Jay Mohr is engaged to the owner of the Lakers.

Recently I saw the movie Beach Rats. Kinda sexy, kinda sad. Seemed to be an accurate portrayal, IMHO, of the struggle many of us share with gay and bi teenagers. There was one scene of the main character looking at pics online of men looking for sex. He would cover his eyes with his hands, then spread his fingers out and cautiously peer through. It was like he wanted to look at the ads, but couldn't stand himself looking at the ads. KnowwhatImean? His internal struggles looked very real, very familiar. 

On 11/2/2023 at 2:33 PM, Becket said:

Recently I saw the movie Beach Rats. Kinda sexy, kinda sad. Seemed to be an accurate portrayal, IMHO, of the struggle many of us share with gay and bi teenagers. There was one scene of the main character looking at pics online of men looking for sex. He would cover his eyes with his hands, then spread his fingers out and cautiously peer through. It was like he wanted to look at the ads, but couldn't stand himself looking at the ads. KnowwhatImean? His internal struggles looked very real, very familiar. 

The lead is great.  There is some triggering stuff but still a good movie.

spacer.png

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 11/25/2017 at 6:29 AM, longtime lurker said:

Well... if this sounds like your kind of movie, here's a fairly tame teaser:

How did I miss this all those years ago when you posted this clip.  I love Score.  I have Score.  Really fun well made movie.  Kind of like Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolf meets Bob and Carol and Ted and Alice, but with cocks, vaginas, and butts and in Europe.

Edited by Rod Hagen

On 10/3/2023 at 5:39 AM, kingsley88 said:

I recently watched the movie "Always Us Strangers" starring Andrew Scott, Paul Mescal, Claire Foy, and Jamie Bell and recommend it. It's directed by Andrew Haigh and if you liked his previous work (Weekend, Looking) then you'll most likely like this one. 

Apart from Lean on Pete, which was ok, I very much dislike Looking and his movies, but I'm looking forward to this one nevertheless.  It just SEEMS like it has to be good.

Did you go to a screening?

Edited by Rod Hagen

Oh All of Us Strangers was SO good.  SO sad.  My parents are still alive, but I wept.  I never fucking cry at movies.

Very few movies have used A song so perfectly as AUS used this song in the closing.  I recommend this movie highly, but it is sad.

And this is why he used that song, ONLY READ THIS IF YOU'VE Seen the movie.  Major spoilers:

WWW.VULTURE.COM

The director chose to end his new film with Frankie Goes to Hollywood’s “The Power of Love” for personal and political reasons.

Edited by Rod Hagen