Gay movie you liked

MassageDrew

Maurice based on the novel by E.M. Forster. Great movie.

I loved this movie! I saw it on cable when I was a teen, and immediately fell in love with British actor Rupert Graves. He was also the straight, cis male love interest in the British queer movie "Different for Girls," about a formerly "gay"guy who, as an adult, transitioned to "straight" female and then reconnects with, and falls for, his former grade school friend. He's still a decent looking guy now, in his 50s, but the young Mr. Graves was quite the crushworthy foreign actor for this then-closeted queen.

A Single Man (2010). With terrific acting from Colin Firth - and beautiful Nicholas Hoult as every gay man's dream college groupie. Based on a novel by Christopher Isherwood it portrays one day (November 30, 1962) in the life of a college professor (George) who has recently lost his longtime partner and is contemplating suicide. And whenever I'm having one of those crappy days I remind myself of what George tells himself on November 30, 1962: "Just get through the goddamn day."

Anchors Aweigh (1945) may not be an official "gay" movie but the way Frank Sinatra can't take his eyes off of his bro-buddy Gene Kelly (even watching him as he sleeps in one scene and breathing down his neck every time he talks to a woman on the phone) and pint-sized Dean Stockwell oggles them both leaves much to question. Also we have a cartoon Jerry the Mouse chirping "I'm dancing!!!"

Wings (1927) and Midnight Cowboy (1969) were the first "gay" Best Pictures, predating Moonlight. Well... to be specific... the former had Clara Bow as the female "love interest" but she fails to compete with the soldier boys' focus on each other right up to the "dying" kiss scene. Even when caught in her undies, "Buddy" Charles Rogers is too drunk and passed out to get a rise from HER. In the latter, Joe and Rico "Ratzo" toss around the derogatory F-word because they think they aren't gay... and Brenda Vacarro gets Joe to succeed sexually with her by questioning if he is. Yet Joe doesn't turn down teenagers in Time Square or traveling businessmen.

Of course, Midnight Cowboy tested the waters for the same director (John Schlesinger) to tackle Sunday Bloody Sunday (1971), perhaps the most modern "sexually fluid" drama of its era. Sadly Murray Head can't make up his mind between Peter Finch and Glenda Jackson, so he leaves Merry Ol' England.

Victim (1961) shows its age but was still a ground breaking social conscious film out to prove to mass audiences that being discriminated or blackmailed for a gay affair was no different than being attacked for being black or Jewish.

Fassbinder's Fox and His Friends (Faustrecht der Freiheit) (1975) was criticized at the time for presenting the "gay world" of West Germany as shallow, but I don't find anything wrong with it. It is just the story of a simple guy who wins the lottery and thinks he finds love and happily-ever-after with a young "semi-otter", only to later realize he is being used for his money. The story isn't really about "being gay" so much as struggling to fit in. Also plenty of groovy '74 fashions here. Even in Morocco, El Hedi ben Salem sports the bright orange and white as he gives the two leads a wink. (Check out the heterosexual Ali: Fear Eats the Soul to see him buck naked. One of these days a thread should be started for him in "gallery".)

Weekend (2011) may have a little too much talk and the steamy sex scene is too short, but it is a good "test" film to show your strictly heterosexual friends. It is no more hotsy totsy than all of their "heteronormal" chick-flix, so they have no excuse to start squirming.

Le Monde du silence (The Silent World) (1956) features Jacques-Yves Cousteau leading a sizeable crew of shirtless (i.e. almost-but-not-quite naked) dudes on his Calypso and no woman in sight. Even the Dachshund on board is male. The shots of them together in clusters enjoying peaceful slumber sums it up. The two Kon Tiki movies (both the non fiction film with its peekaboo nudity, 1950, and, the dramatization, 2011) are equally good.

The Wizard of Oz (1939)... C'mon. I don't need to explain.

http://images2.fanpop.com/images/photos/8400000/The-Birdcage-the-birdcage-8443179-537-382.jpg

The Birdcage

This shot reminds me of Death in Venice... just the beach setting and clothes. Lol! Now THAT movie is so abstract in its gay attractions that I much favor director Luchino Visconti's much earlier heterosexual black & white Ossessione over it, since at least you see Massimo Girotti shirtless a lot. (Rumor has it the director had his way with the mostly straight star and it is easy to see why.)

I really like the movie Borstal Boys. It's older and really non-sexual but I liked it. It's the first time I really liked Shawn Hatosy.

Maybe 5 years after Borstal released I bumped into Shawn Hatosy getting take out in WeHo and told him what a great job he did in that movie and talked, briefly, about how fun for him to be so young and fly all the way out there to play the lead in that film.

I have SO many good gay movies I recommend. I can't go through them all again. If you click on my name and go through my posts and find those about movies, you'll see I've posted Youtube clips to all of them. (is it "to all of them" or "them all"?)

This shot reminds me of Death in Venice... just the beach setting and clothes. Lol! Now THAT movie is so abstract in its gay attractions that I much favor director Luchino Visconti's much earlier heterosexual black & white Ossessione over it, since at least you see Massimo Girotti shirtless a lot. (Rumor has it the director had his way with the mostly straight star and it is easy to see why.)

ANYTHING by visconti. Good Lord, did you ever see Conversation Piece? So crazy and good.

Of course Rocco and His Brothers drips with homoerotica: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0054248/?ref_=nm_flmg_dr_12