Gay movie you liked

MassageDrew

The last scene of Maurice when he and Rupert Graves finally find each other in the boathouse is one of the most erotic and romantic gay scenes ever filmed and has become my happy place! I go there whenever I think romance has died.

"You can't treat me like a dog, you know." :-) Great movie.

I particularly like that fact that he DOESN'T end up with someone of his class. That was very typical of "those" writers--EM Forster, Somerset Maughm, Gide, Genet--and also their "students"--Tenessee Williams, Gore Vidal, Isherwood (Sorry Bachardi, if you're reading this): Heaven forfend any of them should date or fuck within their class and education. Fuck that, they wanted the working class boys, even when they were young boys themselves. Adam Smith you strike me as similar to these men in your tastes; I may be wrong.

It is always hard to decide what is a "gay movie." Putting that aside and hoping not to repeat and in no particular order, I have really liked:

1. Beautiful Thing

2. The Opposite of Sex

3. Happy Endings

4. The Day Trippers

5. My Beautiful Laundrette

6. Beginners

7. Bound

8. Gods and Monsters

9. Prick Up Your Ears

I have to admit that Angels in America is my favorite in general.

I loved this movie! I saw it on cable when I was a teen, and immediately fell in love with British actor Rupert Graves. He was also the straight, cis male love interest in the British queer movie "Different for Girls," about a formerly "gay"guy who, as an adult, transitioned to "straight" female and then reconnects with, and falls for, his former grade school friend. He's still a decent looking guy now, in his 50s, but the young Mr. Graves was quite the crushworthy foreign actor for this then-closeted queen.

I saw a Broadway show, "Closer, with Rupert Graves about a decade ago. Graves was very accessible after the performance and we talk about the play and his performance. It was such an interesting conversation, I saw the play again a few nights later.

I stayed away from "Maurice," but I am not under any illusion that Graves was unaware of the real reasons I talked to him.

1. Beautiful Thing

2. The Opposite of Sex

3. Happy Endings

4. The Day Trippers

6. Beginners

7. Bound

8. Gods and Monsters

9. Prick Up Your Ears

There was a musical version of "The Opposite of Sex" starring David Burtka as the boy toy. It played at the smaller theater at Williamstown, MA.

Burtka was fine, but his husband, Neil Patrick Harris has more talent. Sadly, the musical did not have the humor or the superior acting of the film.

@TruthBTold, great list.

It is always hard to decide what is a "gay movie." Putting that aside and hoping not to repeat and in no particular order, I have really liked:

1. Beautiful Thing

2. The Opposite of Sex

3. Happy Endings

4. The Day Trippers

6. Beginners

7. Bound

8. Gods and Monsters

9. Prick Up Your Ears

I have to admit that Angels in America is my favorite in general.

My Beautiful Laundrette is wonderful. It was the first gay film I ever saw in which the gay people were not stereotypes or objects of derision and that made me cry in the dark. When Daniel Day Lewis pushed the Indian guy (can't remember his name - sorry) up against the wall and started making out with him, I almost fainted. What a moment.

No one has mentioned In and Out. It's a horrible movie with some truly funny bits. Matt Dillon and Joan Cusack are wonderfully funny, and Debbie Reynolds is a precious hoot. Kline and Selleck are fine, I guess, but I just didn't buy either one of them.

Latter Day

The name of the church is singular . . . but the name of the film is plural. ;) Surprised to not see this one mentioned more often. Gotta love that over the top excommunication scene. LOL. (And surprised Steve [now Max] Sandvoss didn't become a bigger star.)

Also, Another Country. (@JayCeeKy: You perhaps don't need me to tell you this but Colin Firth is in this one, too.)

http://i1378.photobucket.com/albums/ah92/MuscleRic1/ANOTHER%20COUNTRY_zpsu5hsjyy8.jpg

One of the great Taiwanese director Ang Lee's (later, the director of Brokeback Mountain, for which he won the Oscar!) first movies in the English language, The Wedding Banquet. This is a much lighter, gentler comedy than so much of Lee's later film work!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDpJv4MkSSc

TruHart1 :cool:

Edited by TruHart1