Gay movie you liked

MassageDrew

• 3 weeks later...
Cuatro Lunas (2014). Subtitled, but really, really good stories.

I loved "Cuatro lunas"! The four moons are four gay-themed stories:

1. A young boy's emerging homosexuality and his parents' reaction (very sweet and touching)

2. The romance between two university students, complicated because one is closeted

3. The disintegration of a relationship between two thirty-somethings

4. An old man's crush on a gay-for-pay sauna boy

Not all four stories have a happy ending, yet all are very gay-positive without coming off like a cliched ABC After School Special. The highlight for me personally was a brief full-frontal of my biggest Spanish actor crush, Antonio Velazquez :D

The problem I have with a lot of gay movies, or perhaps I should say straight-to-TLA-Video movies, is that the overall production quality is so poor: cliche-ridden scripts, lousy actors, wooden dialogue. "Mulligans" isn't just a bad gay-themed movie, it's one of the worst movies I've ever seen, period. In contrast, I loved "Burnt Money" (despite its ending) because everything about the film was first-rate: great script, Goya-worthy actors (the Goya is Spain's equivalent to the Oscar), quality production values. "Eyes Wide Open" is another of my favorites because of its excellent quality, despite its sad (yet inevitable) ending. "Cuatro lunas" is the best of both worlds - a quality production with an uplifting ending. If you see it on Amazon Prime or Netflix, it's definitely worth watching.

Edited by BSR

• 2 weeks later...

Article from 2006:

The Williamstown Theatre Festival production of The Opposite of Sex, the musical's East Coast premiere, began August 9th and will play through August 20th. The musical features music and lyrics by Douglas J. Cohen with a book by Cohen and Robert Jess Roth, who also directs. It is based on the screenplay of the movie of the same title by Don Roos. The musical premiered in San Francisco in 2004.

The cast includes Kerry Butler (Hairspray, Little Shop of Horrors), four-time Tony-nominee Gregg Edelman (Wonderful Town, Into the Woods), David Burtka (Gypsy), Kaitlin Hopkins (The Great American Trailer Park Musical, Bat Boy), Herndon Lackey (Parade, Les Miserables), as well as Ian Scott McGregor and Lance Rubin. The musical recounts the misadventures of DeDee Truitt, who seduces the lover of her gay half-brother. Things become more complicated when DeDee becomes pregnant. "Lessons of life and love are learned as they all confront and explore their own sexuality, learn to let go of their traditional beliefs and ultimately discover that what they really want is what Dedee calls the opposite of sex - lasting, committed and loving relationships."

Article from 2006:

The Williamstown Theatre Festival production of The Opposite of Sex, the musical's East Coast premiere, began August 9th and will play through August 20th. The musical features music and lyrics by Douglas J. Cohen with a book by Cohen and Robert Jess Roth, who also directs. It is based on the screenplay of the movie of the same title by Don Roos. The musical premiered in San Francisco in 2004. . . .

I hope the musical's book is equal to the movie material. The movie was a masterwork.

My Beautiful Laundrette was an early favorite of mine. One of the first films in which the gay characters didn't end up dead or broken at the end. Has anyone mentioned Happy Together, by Hong Kong director Wong Kar-wai? Definitely not a happy movie, but worth a viewing. I really liked it when I saw it. It's about 20 years old, and I haven't seen it in a long time.

Carol, Todd Haynes' most recent movie, is pretty great. Actually, anything by Todd Haynes is pretty great, IMHO.

Edited by FurryDude

Actually, he has a more recent movie. People hate it, it's a mess. I liked it a lot, fantastic sets. Here you go:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5208216/?ref_=nm_flmg_dr_2

Sometimes I go for Todd Haynes, sometimes not. But just the Bowie music was worth it. I also like Julianne Moore in most things. So definitely on my list. Thanks for the heads up.

• 3 weeks later...

I thought Love Simon would do a lot better. I think it opened this weekend to like $12 million. That's too bad. It seems like the kind of movie young girls would like, but maybe it's just that young people don't go to the theaters anymore. Maybe Twilight and Hunger Games were the last goodbye.

Please read the book and then see the movie again and you might appreciate why those of us who love Isherwood think Ford should apologize. It's only positive, I guess, is that it proved one can die from good taste (I stole that from a friend).

I agree wholeheartedly. If Tom Ford wants to write his own original story he should do so, instead of manipulating someone else's art to the point where it is unrecognizable.

On its own, A Single Man was a fairly good film, but it wasn't a filmed version of the book I read many years ago!

Hope the QA was good; I was at the QA in the dome for the woody allen movie. I bought those tickets before I saw that there was a CMBYN QA, oh well.

So, can this critic really believe the shit he's saying, or is he just fanning the flames for the magazines stupid (William F. who?) readers?

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/454242/call-me-your-name-hollywood-hypocrisy-teen-sex

As soon as I saw your statement, I knew it was about ArmondvWhite. He’s the antithesis of joy.