"Will and Grace" is back

deej
This topic is 1864 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What was ground breaking then, will be dated and unfunny now unless they update and upgrade the comedy. The character of Jack needs a bit of depth, as the old caricature of the flighty, feminine,promiscuous gay may have worked as 20 something in the 90s and early 200os but will not work with a 40 something in the teens. His self involvement and unawareness of the needs of others around him has comedic potential but it has been done, so there needs to be a fresh point of view if it is going to work.

The Karen character is a selfish, substance abuser and rich bitch played for laughs. Political contrast might work well with that character in the age of trump but again, a rich drunk and pill popper may have worked in the old show, but I do not think that it works for a character in her 40s. It seems desperate and sad.

Will was desperately seeking love and was safely gay, in that he rarely had any sexual story lines and if he did, the action took place off screen. He was more of a sidekick to Jack and Grace than he was a funny and integral character in the show. He either needs to be funnier or sexier, preferably both.

Grace was self involved and oblivious when played off of Will and in that way she resembled Jack. Played against Karen, she was the straight woman. This gave her some variation in her character and in the old show, they managed to make those two different aspects of her character work, to a reasonable degree. Now that she is older and presumably wiser, the character needs to be a bit smarter, yet maintain naivety.

Rosario, the maid with a purse full of pills for Karen, who was married to Jack to stay in the country was always revealing surprising things about herself and for me she was the character that had the most laughs per minute of screen time. Shelley Morrison, the actress who plays Rosario is elderly and has had cancer. I would love to see her back, but if she does not return, they definitely need a similar character who can keep Karen in line.

Clearly I have given much too much thought about this. My guess is, the characters are dated and the comedy is trite, they run out the 10 shows and are not heard from again.

@purplekow I couldn't more. I wish they had left this alone. NBC probably sees the uptick in SNL ratings due to Baldwin & Company and the political climate and thinks W&G will follow that trend. I predict a horrible return and a short and embarrassing run.

That could be the case if NBC or the show's producers try to force the writers to churn out edgy anti-Trump, anti-1%er scripts.

That could be the case if NBC or the show's producers try to force the writers to churn out edgy anti-Trump, anti-1%er scripts.

"NBC had been eyeing the Will & Grace limited series revival since September, when the network was riding a wave of nostalgia after stars Messing, McCormack, Mullally and Hayes stepped back into their former characters in an election-themed video that went viral".

This was that video: So, I think we know what we're in for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzae4DKexko

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/will-grace-revival-officially-a-go-at-nbc-965381

@purplekow I couldn't agree more. I wish they had left this alone. NBC probably sees the uptick in SNL ratings due to Baldwin & Company with the political climate and thinks W&G will follow that trend. I predict a horrible return and a short and embarrassing run. I hope I'm wrong.

Yes in spades.

The structural failure of the original (in hindsight) was that, to make gay safe for mainstream audiences, they had to put all the gay content into the sidekick joke characters, while constructing endless character and plot reasons why Will Was Never Seen Getting Any.

In today's entirely different Brave New World, why not simply put the development and production effort into a new thing attuned to contemporary times?

Yes in spades.

The structural failure of the original (in hindsight) was that, to make gay safe for mainstream audiences, they had to put all the gay content into the sidekick joke characters, while constructing endless character and plot reasons why Will Was Never Seen Getting Any.

In today's entirely different Brave New World, why not simply put the development and production effort into a new thing attuned to contemporary times?

There's some things you just can't tinker with. The social construct for jokes which you refer to is something which the current 18-49 demo is most likely going to reject or at least grow tired of very quickly. I resurrected by ex for a time or two, but in hindsight, it was just like digging up an old bone. Somewhat satisfying in the beginning, but too soon afterwards tiresome and tedious. And that happened in an alley. :eek:

They'll just say the finale was a drug-induced hallucination. It wasn't exactly realistic, Beverly Leslie flying off the balcony because of a stiff wind. Will having a kid only happened in the finale, Grace was pregnant during the season.

They might want to do that about the whole last season actually.

how are they going to incorporate the children shown in the series finale? or are we expected to forget that Will has a son and Grace has a daughter?

Maybe they will center around the kids as friends, with the edgy new twist being that Grace's daughter is a pragmatic but slightly OCD lesbian and Will's son is a flighty and neurotic straight guy. Hilarity ensues...

Edited by Nvr2Thick