"Will and Grace" is back

deej
This topic is 1864 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Every time I read a gushing comment, I think to myself really??? I find the quality to be roughly equal to the last few seasons of the original, when everyone thought the show was tired and past its prime. Yes, there have been some great moments here and there, but I think people are letting nostalgia and the admittedly-still-amazing chemistry color their impressions with rose-colored glasses. I’m still watching, but then again I’m the one who holds on to the past as long as possible, & I don’t have premium channels or netflix/amazon etc. from which to find new programs to watch. But I’m glad everyone else is enjoying it so much. As for returning guest stars, if they manage to bring back Karen’s mom I’ll be impressed.
0d4bd4c08f33ace57f8bfeb9a9acc9cc.gif

• 4 weeks later...
I find the quality to be roughly equal to the last few seasons of the original, when everyone thought the show was tired and past its prime.

Thank you for getting rid of any temptation to start watching the re-boot. W&G used to be one of my favorite shows. A friend of mine and I were die-hard Karen Walker fans. We'd talk about the show every week and bust a gut rehashing all the hilarious lines Karen had on the last episode. But then Will & Grace got more and more annoying, to the point that I stopped watching the show entirely. I suspected the re-boot would be tired & awful, even though their 10-minute election special was pretty damn funny. I'm glad to know I'm not missing anything.

Thank you for getting rid of any temptation to start watching the re-boot. W&G used to be one of my favorite shows. A friend of mine and I were die-hard Karen Walker fans. We'd talk about the show every week and bust a gut rehashing all the hilarious lines Karen had on the last episode. But then Will & Grace got more and more annoying, to the point that I stopped watching the show entirely. I suspected the re-boot would be tired & awful, even though their 10-minute election special was pretty damn funny. I'm glad to know I'm not missing anything.

You are still missing some great Karen Walker lines, but yes Will and Grace are even more annoying, particularly the last episode where they both say the same things at the same time, an affectation which is supposed to be hilarious but just wants to make you smack them. Will is unbearably smug and Debra Messing mugs and hams and tries desperately hard to recreate the same four facial expressions she used to do back in the day before botox made the attempts futile. Despite that, I love Karen and Jack, and Megan Mulally always manages to time things amazingly.......

• 1 month later...

I can't wait for the very special season-ending cliffhanger, when Will is diagnosed with a brain tumor, which explains why he thought Cheyenne Jackson was Chris Potter.

FOR MICHAEL:

In Sunday’s “Family Guy” (9 p.m., Fox), Stewie is sent to see school child psychologist Dr. Cecil Pritchfield (guest voice Sir Ian McKellen), for a session which causes Stewie to reveal deep personal secrets.

Stewie, via the show’s writers, told The Post how everything went. Here are some highlights.

We know you get sent to the school shrink after an incident. On a scale of 1 to trying to kill your mom Lois, how bad was it?

Oh, please, it was barely a 2. Remember when I used to plot world domination? Even those never got higher than, like, a 6. God, that feels like a lifetime ago. Do they still sell those “Damn you all” T-shirts?

What was it like to work with Sir Ian McKellen? Did you have a lot in common with him?

Working with Sir Ian was a dream come true. Well, mostly. In my dream we’re performing together on stage in London’s West End, not on this sinking ship they call network television.

Sunday’s episode revolves around you. I’m guessing you’re fine with that — since you enjoy talking about yourself (and think just about everyone else is an idiot).

The episode revolves all around me, it’s true. But all the episodes revolve around me. I’ll be honest: if I’m not in a scene, I don’t watch.

Do you consider yourself a narcissist?

Definitely not. You can ask anyone who’s close to me: my personal photographer, my spray tanner, my hype man, my ugly friend who I keep around so I look better by comparison, they’ll all tell you.

What is the takeaway from Sunday’s episode vis-a-vis your personality? Am I being pretentious by using the term “vis-a-vis”?

I hope people watch this episode and think, “Hey, Stewie’s a normal guy, just like me. Just smarter, wittier, with better abs and dreamier eyes. But, yeah, just like me!”

Edited by samhexum

• 4 months later...

Former “Friends” star David Schwimmer will appear on “Will & Grace” as a new love interest for Debra Messing’s character.

NBC said Wednesday that Schwimmer will play opposite Messing’s Grace on the sitcom revival that’s back Oct. 4 on NBC.

Schwimmer isn’t the only familiar face appearing on the second season. Alec Baldwin, Chelsea Handler and Mary McCormack were previously announced as guest stars.

• 2 weeks later...

Matt Bomer will guest-star on a Season 10 episode of “Will & Grace,” NBC announced Thursday.

He’ll appear on the sitcom as a smooth-talking, self-satisfied TV news anchor who dates Eric McCormack’s character.

“Speechless” star Minnie Driver also will be back in that episode as Lorraine Finster, Karen’s stepdaughter and nemesis, whom Karen seeks out at the strip club where Lorraine works to try and get more money in her divorce settlement.

Rounding out the installment’s guest roster is Olympic figure skater (and soon-to-be “Dancing With the Stars: Juniors” judge!) Adam Rippon, who will make a cameo appearance.

As previously announced, “Friends” alum David Schwimmer will recur in Season 10 as a love interest for Debra Messing’s Grace, while Alec Baldwin, Chelsea Handler, Jon Cryer and Mary McCormack are also slated for guest appearances.

“Will & Grace” returns on Thursday, Oct. 4, at 9/8c on NBC.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Has anyone else been watching Will & Grace? Against my expectations I've come to enjoy the revival. I think that the show found it's legs midway through the season. The finale leaves things kind of open-ended and introduces a lot of changes, but supposedly there's a season 11 already approved by NBC and due to kick off in the fall.

I did watch the finale as I enjoy Matt Bomer in anything and especially in nothing. It was interesting as a lead in to next year with Jack married and will proposing to Mr. Bomer. It is not nearly as ground breaking as it once was and in fact at time it plays like a gay minstrel show with all the negative connotations of that. Still, there are throwaway laughs and interesting slapstick variations.

I've come to enjoy the revival. I think that the show found it's legs midway through the season.

I can't agree with you. Ever since its return, I've felt the show was on the quality level of seasons 7 & 8 (not great). I do agree that this year was better than last year, but that's like saying Bush was better than Trump... only in comparison.

I loathe Estefan... he is a minthing, lithping, thtereotype and they did nothing all season to suggest why this lightweight airhead would be the one to finally make Jack grow up & settle down.

Karen's fling with her gf (whose name I've already forgotten) was ridiculous... when the character was first introduced (when Karen was trapped in the office by a blizzard) I thought she was just going to be a con artist trapped with Karen by the snow. Who knew the storyline would be developed into something so cartoonish (much like Bomer's character was a cartoon/caricature)?

I did enjoy Grace's arc during the year... Schwimmer was more enjoyable than I thought he'd be. The finale left me wondering in how many countries Grace's body parts would be found when the fall premiere picks up months later.

Edited by samhexum

I can't agree with you. Ever since its return, I've felt the show was on the quality level of seasons 7 & 8 (not great). I do agree that this year was better than last year, but that's like saying Bush was better than Trump... only in comparison.

I loathe Estefan... he is a minthing, lithping, thtereotype and they did nothing all season to suggest why this lightweight airhead would be the one to finally make Jake grow up & settle down.

Karen's fling with her gf (whose name I've already forgotten) was ridiculous... when the character was first introduced (when Karen was trapped in the office by a blizzard) I thought she was just going to be a con artist trapped with Karen by the snow. Who knew the storyline would be developed into something so cartoonish (much like Bomer's character was a cartoon/caricature)?

I did enjoy Grace's arc during the year... Schwimmer was more enjoyable than I thought he'd be. The finale left me wondering in how many countries Grace's body parts would be found when the fall premiere picks up months later.

I don't think it's classic TV, but I have come to enjoy the show. I liked the observations in the "Bad Blood" episode, where Will doesn't know whether he should keep fighting the good fight. I also liked the relatable story line where Will finds an attractive, datable man at work and decides to go against his standards and date a man he works with -- only to find that the guy is married and playing on the side. I agree that the Grace/Noah relationship had been one of the high points. That arc and the entire rest of the season was rushed. They went from "let's move in together" to "Noah doesn't appreciate you" without an episode or two (at least) to develop it.

Grace is turning into a bit of a hag. It stretches credibility to think that hunky Dan from "Veep" would pick her up and sweep her off to Italy.

I usually don't think much of Karen's character; she's good for a quip or a barb. I loved the hallucinogenic- induced final performance of Mrs. Stanley Walker's one-woman show.

I loved the hallucinogenic- induced final performance of Mrs. Stanley Walker's one-woman show.

I appreciated the homage to ELLEN's famous "puppy episode", in which Ellen announced to Laura Dern (and an airport full of strangers) that she was gay, by saying it into a microphone at a ticket counter, much as Karen announced she was straight.

I appreciated the homage to ELLEN's famous "puppy episode", in which Ellen announced to Laura Dern (and an airport full of strangers) that she was gay, by saying it into a microphone at a ticket counter, much as Karen announced she was straight.

Oh yeah! That was one of the few good things about that otherwise poorly-developed arc. I was somewhat interested when they introduced Nikki, but the writers missed any potential it might have had. The low point had to be Karen's morph into a diesel dyke in the prior episode. I'm surprised I've liked this show in spite of all of the cartoonish (as you've noted) elements.

But Karen's bisexuality had long been a theme on the show. She was depicted as having a relationship with Martina Navratilova in the past. They're just throwing things out there with zero regard for history or reality. Which is fine I guess, but then having the serious moments just makes no sense.