"Will and Grace" is back

deej
This topic is 1863 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What was ground breaking then, will be dated and unfunny now unless they update and upgrade the comedy. The characters needs a bit of depth, as the old caricature of the flighty, feminine,promiscuous gay may have worked as 20 something in the 90s and early 200os but will not work with a 40 something in the teens. ..... so there needs to be a fresh point of view if it is going to work.

My guess is, the characters are dated and the comedy is trite, they run out the 10 shows and are not heard from again.

Pretty close to my thoughts when I heard the show is returning.

I liked it years ago, although it got stale for me.

I anticipate this may be one of those things that would had been better left alone. I also hope I'm mistaken.

I am certain I'm not looking forward to what will be overwhelming hype from the network.

And, with respect to comeback-series... I have greater anticipation for Roseanne. Their old shtick of "we shore are white trash now!" could prove to be very contemporary.

What was ground breaking then, will be dated and unfunny now unless they update and upgrade the comedy. The characters needs a bit of depth, as the old caricature of the flighty, feminine,promiscuous gay may have worked as 20 something in the 90s and early 200os but will not work with a 40 something in the teens. ..... so there needs to be a fresh point of view if it is going to work.

My guess is, the characters are dated and the comedy is trite, they run out the 10 shows and are not heard from again.

Pretty close to my thoughts when I heard the show is returning.

I liked it years ago, although it got stale for me.

I anticipate this may be one of those things that would had been better left alone. I also hope I'm mistaken.

I am certain I'm not looking forward to what will be overwhelming hype from the network.

And, with respect to comeback-series... I have greater anticipation for Roseanne. Their old shtick of "we shore are white trash now!" could prove to be very contemporary.

I love this show and still watch my dvr reruns. To me, it's still funny especially the live shows. Did read that they are starting like the finale never happened and that only Connick will return albeit briefly. Good news is that also means that Beverly Leslie is not dead s o he can make his usual campy entrances... "I thought I smelled gin and regret"...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I'm hoping Bobby Cannavole (he was so hot back then), Harry Connick, Jr and Leslie Jordan return. I always loved how Beverly and Karen would argue

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2017/09/09/bobby-cannavale-is-returning-to-will-grace-for-the-revival/

Bobby Cannavale is returning to Will & Grace for the revival

• Meka Beresford

• 9th September 2017, 4:11 PM
  • http://www.pinknews.co.uk/images/2017/09/bobby-cannavale_640x345_acf_cropped.jpg

(Photo by bobby_cannavale/Instagram)

Bobby Cannavale, who played Will’s boyfriend on Will & Grace, is set to return to the revival of the series.

Cannavale joins Eric McCormack, Debra Messing, Sean Hayes and Megan Mullally in reprising their roles in the classic sitcom.

Cannavale played Vince D’Angelo boyfriend and later husband on the original series.

In 2005, he won an Emmy for his role on the show which ended with the pair living together.

However, the revival of the show will have Will and Grace living together once again so fans are speculating about what has happened in the fictional world in the last 11 years.

A trailer for the upcoming season does show Jack and Will discovering Grindr.

Debra Messing announced the return of the actor on Instagram.

Sharing a photo of the two, she wrote: “It just gets better and better. Another fan fav from our little show of yesteryear.”

Other guest stars including Minnie Driver and Harry Connick Jr. will also come knocking at the door of Will’s apartment when the NBC series starts later this month.

The 16-episode season has already been renewed for another season with James Burrows returning to direct with the help of creators Max Mutchnick and David Kohan.

One much-loved character won’t be making a return, Karen Walker’s maid, Rosario.

Mutchnick confirmed that Shelley Morrison, who played Rosario, had retired from acting.

“Shelley has decided to retire,” Mutchnick said. “It was with a heavy heart that she gave us that information and that we received it, but it is the way that it goes. It is a choice that she has made.”

The revival faced criticism as fans feared that the show would not do justice to shining a light on current LGBT+ issues.

However, Messing pledged that the cast was trying to portray the LGBT+ community properly and even hinted that trans issues would be tackled.

She said: “It’s a whole new world now where being gay and lesbian is not something that people are hiding like they did when we started almost 20 years ago.

“I think that there’s an opportunity to now celebrate all the other initials of LGBTQ.

“It will be great to come out of this next round and feel like we’re normalizing an even larger segment of underrepresented people on prime-time television.”

I'm not going to look at this show at all. It ran its course, how many times can you get Will almost all gunned up with someone and Grace comes along and meeses it up. Looks to me like a bunch of has been show people who the network's think people will run back and see them again, enough, enough. Can't take it anymore.

I'm not going to look at this show at all. It ran its course, how many times can you get Will almost all gunned up with someone and Grace comes along and meeses it up. Looks to me like a bunch of has been show people who the network's think people will run back and see them again, enough, enough. Can't take it anymore.

I didn't watch it for the first few years it was on. I didn't want to be gay (I still don't completely. But I'm not as adamant about it as I was. ). And I figured why should I watch a show about openly being gay when I didn't want to be. I did watch the last three or four years. I'm willing to give it a chance. I doubt it will be as good. I can't imagine it lasting longer than two or three seasons at the most.

Gman

Edited by Gar1eth

@Good Grief, it's with a heavy heart that I share with you this report from the Hollywood Reporter, which reads:

Shelley Morrison, who played Rosario Salazar on the multicamera comedy, will not reprise her role in the new episodes, co-creator Max Mutchnick told a small group of reporters Thursday after the show's panel at the Television Critics Association's summer press tour.

"Shelley has decided to retire," he said. "It was with a heavy heart that she gave us that information and that we received it, but it is the way that it goes. It is a choice that she has made. We really wanted Shelley to be a part of this series, so we find ourselves having to figure that out moving forward. It was not an easy decision to make, but it's one that she made."

But...

tenor.gif

Well Shelley Morrison is 80 and has had several bouts with cancer. I don't think she's physically up for the role any more, sadly.

Nobody was watching the show for the plot, it was for the dialogue, so I don't really get the premise being tired being an issue not to watch the show. The very worst episodes were the ones that delved too deeply into their relationship issues, specifically BECAUSE it was so uncomfortable boring into their dysfunction.

Not watching this dead horse get beat yet again. Liked the first season and stopped watching after the second. I'm sure someone will watch this, I just hope I'm not asked about watching this show by my straight friends. You should see the looks I get when I say I'm not into Bette, Cher, Brittney, Will and Grace, or musicals. I get a crazy look and told I'm betraying the community.

Not watching this dead horse get beat yet again. Liked the first season and stopped watching after the second. I'm sure someone will watch this, I just hope I'm not asked about watching this show by my straight friends. You should see the looks I get when I say I'm not into Bette, Cher, Brittney, Will and Grace, or musicals. I get a crazy look and told I'm betraying the community.

You forgot Barbra. I like Bette and Cher, but I'm not what you would call a "diva-phile". As for Britney, I think the only song I can recognize as being hers is 'Oops I Did It Again' which she recorded in 2000-so I'm not what you would call a devoted fan. I do like musicals-always have even as a child. Mary Poppins and Bambi are probably two of the 1st movies I remember seeing as a child along with Beach Blanket Bingo and Hard Day's Night.

I liked Will and Grace once I started watching it. But I used to watch a lot of TV and I loved situation comedies.

Some points where I fall off the stereotype is ballet, opera, and classical music.

Gman

I'm taking a vacation day on 9/28/17 just to be a part of the real time action! Do we know if Beverly Leslie is in the returning series? Unless Rosario has severe health issues (stroke, dementia?) it would be nice if she could make a brief appearance in some form. It could be a nice tribute to her character even if brief.

Kipp

I'm taking a vacation day on 9/28/17 just to be a part of the real time action! Do we know if Beverly Leslie is in the returning series? Unless Rosario has severe health issues (stroke, dementia?) it would be nice if she could make a brief appearance in some form. It could be a nice tribute to her character even if brief.

Kipp

I hope that Beverly Leslie comes back but my recollection is that he was blown away by a strong gust of wind. Also, he left his fortune to Jack. Did I just imagine this?

In the meantime....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-hz5j0VN4o