"Will and Grace" is back

deej
This topic is 1863 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree, I didn't find the 1st episode all that funny, but that could be because I saw every bit they did in a lead-up promo. Kinda killed every punch line.

Will is wearing way too much make-up. The folks who do union make-up in TV land are mostly awful and have no talent.

I think you all might have been anticipating TOO MUCH ?. Dont compare it to the original. We are in diff times now. And while the gay jokes may not be as daring or shocking anymore, I think that the visibility is important. And they do have awesome chemistry. I just hope they do not focus TOO MUCH on politics. while it might be funny for a hot minute, we are living the nightmare and dont need the constant reminders.

I think you all might have been anticipating TOO MUCH ?. Dont compare it to the original. We are in diff times now. And while the gay jokes may not be as daring or shocking anymore, I think that the visibility is important. And they do have awesome chemistry. I just hope they do not focus TOO MUCH on politics. while it might be funny for a hot minute, we are living the nightmare and dont need the constant reminders.

I have a feeling they did it just for the first episode to get it out the way knowing viewers would want to see their take on it especially since they did a scene during the election. I will be disappointed if politics is a running theme because there are enough other shows out there that cover this stuff.

Not watching this dead horse get beat yet again. Liked the first season and stopped watching after the second. I'm sure someone will watch this, I just hope I'm not asked about watching this show by my straight friends. You should see the looks I get when I say I'm not into Bette, Cher, Brittney, Will and Grace, or musicals. I get a crazy look and told I'm betraying the community.

Depends on which Bette you mean. Not liking Davis is a betrayal of America, not just the community. Not liking Midler, meh.

Edited by Aaron_Bauder

Since W & G went off the air, Network sitcoms have been given over almost completely to 'quirky' families with 'offbeat' characters and annoying children (THE MIDDLE, MODERN FAMILY, BLACK-ISH, THE GOLDBERGS, RAISING HOPE, the new YOUNG SHELDON, and many others, I'm sure.) Or else self consciously clever work place comedies with quirky characters (30 ROCK, PARKS & REC, COMMUNITY, the new Tina Fey comedy and others.) Many of these use the tired 'talking to the documentary film-maker' gimmick. Or a narrator. And most of them use the 'whimsical musical cue' to tell you when to laugh instead of a laugh track.

The return of W & G in this climate strikes me as a breath of fresh air (laugh track and all). I thought the premiere was funny and I will probably watch it regularly. As someone else here said, even a bad episode of W & G is better than most of the other stuff on the networks.

I watched the show for 10 minutes and turn it off. Sounded like the laughter was canned to me. I watched for entertainment, not to get political views from the left. Won't be watching it anymore. I give it six weeks and then that will be the end of them.

What was ground breaking then, will be dated and unfunny now unless they update and upgrade the comedy. The character of Jack needs a bit of depth, as the old caricature of the flighty, feminine,promiscuous gay may have worked as 20 something in the 90s and early 200os but will not work with a 40 something in the teens. His self involvement and unawareness of the needs of others around him has comedic potential but it has been done, so there needs to be a fresh point of view if it is going to work.

The Karen character is a selfish, substance abuser and rich bitch played for laughs. Political contrast might work well with that character in the age of trump but again, a rich drunk and pill popper may have worked in the old show, but I do not think that it works for a character in her 40s. It seems desperate and sad.

Will was desperately seeking love and was safely gay, in that he rarely had any sexual story lines and if he did, the action took place off screen. He was more of a sidekick to Jack and Grace than he was a funny and integral character in the show. He either needs to be funnier or sexier, preferably both.

Grace was self involved and oblivious when played off of Will and in that way she resembled Jack. Played against Karen, she was the straight woman. This gave her some variation in her character and in the old show, they managed to make those two different aspects of her character work, to a reasonable degree. Now that she is older and presumably wiser, the character needs to be a bit smarter, yet maintain naivety.

Rosario, the maid with a purse full of pills for Karen, who was married to Jack to stay in the country was always revealing surprising things about herself and for me she was the character that had the most laughs per minute of screen time. Shelley Morrison, the actress who plays Rosario is elderly and has had cancer. I would love to see her back, but if she does not return, they definitely need a similar character who can keep Karen in line.

Clearly I have given much too much thought about this. My guess is, the characters are dated and the comedy is trite, they run out the 10 shows and are not heard from again.

PK:Thought you did an excellent job in both the review and recommendations. Ever think about producing? I was an addictive fan through the first series. I still watch reruns in the middle the night along with "Everybody Loves Raymond" when I can't sleep. The actors simply seem to be straining to be funny. I smiled, but did not laugh nearly as much. The first return episode was in my memory banks...the next one I would have to think about.

PK:Thought you did an excellent job in both the review and recommendations. Ever think about producing? I was an addictive fan through the first series. I still watch reruns in the middle the night along with "Everybody Loves Raymond" when I can't sleep. The actors simply seem to be straining to be funny. I smiled, but did not laugh nearly as much. The first return episode was in my memory banks...the next one I would have to think about.

Did not catch the first one as I was eating Victor Powers ass, LOL, but I intend to check it out on demand. I understand that it has already been renewed for a second year, which is surprising.

I had no idea there was a new Tina Fey series, I just set it up (and the new Will & Grace) to record.

Sorta, kinda, but not really. Great News is in its second season and Fey is joining the cast in hopes of boosting the ratings. They have a great comedic ensemble, but the writing hasn't always been up to par. I hope that changes with Fey.

The real show to watch with Fey is Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt: It's smart, subversive and very, very funny.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/unbreakable_kimmy_schmidt/s01/