Friday Funnies

jackhammer91406

• Replies 8.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Early twentieth century Antarctic exploration observations:

According to Mawson, there is nothing like a steaming hot bowl of porridge in the Antarctic. Mawson remarked that Scott would have survived if only he had eaten oats.

Rather dark, however.

That reminded me, some schools I worked in used to have a room full of file cabinets with the students' cumulative records. The files were called "cumes" (that's how it was pronounced), but the abbreviation for cumulative was always cum. Therefore for years our campus maps would have rooms in the office labeled:  Principal, Guidance, Mailboxes, Cum Room....

😦

The AEC (the electoral commission) had one of the sharpest social media teams I have seen and kept many of us amused by its combination of pertinent and impertinent tweets during the course of the campaign and while the votes were being tallied. It appears they are still at it.

Someone tweeted a photo and caption:

FYKX3siaAAEMkMA?format=jpg&name=large

Don’t remember exactly when/how I got this ruler, but it seems appropriate for reading election results.

Who knows how they got it but it is a ruler supplied to election staff, clear so they can read text through it when they are using printed electoral roles, and purple because that is the colour the AEC uses in its signage.

The AEC quote tweeted it with:

Democracy means we all have a say in choosing our rulers.

Because of course they would.

The thread Telling It Like It Is made me remember this story.

A man was on a business trip and called back home to find out if all was well. His brother answered, “No, the cat died.” The other man said, “Oh my god! You don’t just blurt out something like that with no lead-in! You have to soften the blow! You say, ‘the cat got out on the roof.” Then you say, ‘a storm came up with heavy rains and strong winds.’ Then you say, ‘the cat was swept away and died.’ You’ve got to be careful telling this kind of news, understand?” The brother said, “Yeah, I understand.” Then the caller asked, “Is there any other news?” “Yeah. Mom got out on the roof ...

Edited by wsc