Friday Funnies

jackhammer91406

• Replies 8.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, mike carey said:

What do you get if you divide the circumference of a pumpkin by its diameter?

Pumpkin pi.

May I assume Aussies don't make pumpkin pies? Especially not this time of year, of course. I remember that the first time I went to Australia, it was Melbourne Cup Day, I believe the first of November...

Edited by Unicorn

On 10/15/2021 at 4:30 AM, Unicorn said:

May I assume Aussies don't make pumpkin pies? Especially not this time of year, of course. I remember that the first time I went to Australia, it was Melbourne Cup Day, I believe the first of November...

They are not common, although some people do make them, but not in relation to any holiday or time of the year. Pumpkins are overwhelmingly used as a vegetable (roasted, boiled, or boiled and mashed) or made into soup. They are a summer crop so were historically most readily available in autumn, although many varieties store well, so autumn home garden bounty can last into the following year. Also, like many summer crops, they are grown in winter in the north.

Melbourne Cup day is the first Tuesday in November, so most years on US election day. (Not that any Melbourne Cup revellers are thinking about those elections. Anyone who is interested in them would wait until about lunch time on Wednesday when the results are coming in and the hangovers have cleared up.)

Edited by mike carey

13 hours ago, mike carey said:

I'm guessing this window is going to move shortly.

FB0tmCRWEAEiH2b?format=jpg&name=large

Well, another one from the king of abstruse jokes. Someone will have to explain this for me...

10 hours ago, Unicorn said:

Well, another one from the king of abstruse jokes. Someone will have to explain this for me...

For the image to strike a chord it's enough to know that 'moving the Overton window' is a thing, not necessarily to know what it means although that helps. Not everyone does.

'The Overton window is the range of policies politically acceptable to the mainstream population at a given time. It is also known as the window of discourse.'

'Moving the Overton window' refers to something done in political [or cultural] discourse that changes the range of acceptable subjects. An example could be the change of the mainstream attitude towards same sex marriage over the last 20 years.

On 10/17/2021 at 10:05 PM, mike carey said:

For the image to strike a chord it's enough to know that 'moving the Overton window' is a thing, not necessarily to know what it means although that helps. Not everyone does.

Well, this term isn't used in the media or in common discourse (at least in the US), so I'd guess a person would probably have to have taken at least an introductory course in political science to understand the joke. I can't say I love having to look things up with a web search in order to understand the "joke"...

🙄 Face with Rolling Eyes Emoji on Facebook 4.0 | Eye roll, Emoji pictures,  Emoji images

Edited by Unicorn

On 10/11/2021 at 7:55 PM, azdr0710 said:

Steve Martin on The Dating Game at age 22-23 when he was a writer for the Smothers Brothers.....and that's Dean Martin's daughter doing the interviewing........gotta say I like bachelor #1's voice and face the most.....

I agree. Steve is not bad looking but Bachelor no. one was the hottest. Not just a great face and hair but an athlete as well. Skiers have great legs and ass muscles.