Friday Funnies

jackhammer91406

• Replies 8.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A bit of levity in a time of covid. This morning when he was announcing exposure sites in Melbourne, the Victorian chief health officer noted that a pub that had held a EURO 2020 final event was one of them. He said that since there would have been a lot of people eating and drinking they wouldn't always have been wearing masks. He also noted that there would have been a lot of shouting 'and among the England fans, crying'.

He had prefaced his remarks by saying that what he was about to say was relevant to soccer fans, particularly to soccer fans who consider themselves to be football fans. I understand that is a distinction that would resonate in the US as well. (In Melbourne, if you say 'football' it is universally taken to mean AFL football.)

On 7/18/2021 at 12:33 AM, azdr0710 said:

funny comparison of Zero Hour  and Airplane......wait for the very last fifteen seconds, too!

Thanks for the educational video. I had always thought the movie was a spoof of the Airport movies of the 70s. I also didn't realize until I just looked it up that there was a true to life mass medical incident on  JAL flight in 1975. Fortunately, none of those flying the plane ate the contaminated omelets. Amazingly, it took this incident to develop a rule that all of the cockpit crew must eat different meals to avoid a disaster such as that shown in the Zero Hour and Airplane! movies. I guess the Zero Hour movie didn't make people think about the rule change. It's interesting to read about the real-life event on Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japan_Airlines_food_poisoning_incident

"The investigation began by tracing the pathogens back to its origin, and focused on the facilities of International Inflight Catering, an Anchorage-based subsidiary of Japan Airlines, where the meals had been prepared. It was found that three cooks had prepared the meals, one of whom had infected lesions on the index and middle finger of his right hand. The lesions on the cook’s fingers were found to be infected with staphylococci. Tests revealed identical phage types and antibiotic resistances for all samples, indicating that the cook was the source of the contamination... According to microbiologists, it can take as few as 100 staphylococci to cause food poisoning. In-flight catering logistics provided ideal conditions for the bacteria to grow and release toxins, which induce severe nausea, vomiting, diarrhea and abdominal cramps. Being heat-resistant, the toxins were not destroyed when the omelettes were heated... Japan Airlines’ catering manager, 52-year-old Kenji Kuwabara, committed suicide upon learning that the incident had been caused by one of his cooks. He was the only fatality... Eisenberg suggested that cockpit crew members eat different meals prepared by different cooks to prevent food poisoning outbreaks from incapacitating the entire crew, a rule subsequently implemented by many airlines...". I would have just fired the cook...

Seppuku GIFs | Tenor

Edited by Unicorn

• 2 weeks later...