Aversion to RM Chat?

RM's chat system has a reputation for being unreliable (delivering messages late, dropped alerts, etc), and it doesn't generate native notifications for mobile users which forces users to check the RM page to see if new messages have been received.  Text messaging (SMS or iMessage) or messaging apps like WhatsApp are more robust and natively give notifications when a message is received.  

RM chat's deficiencies are more serious for providers who may be in contact with multiple potential clients at the same time so checking for new message can be more challenging, clients are more likely to follow only one or two conversations at a time.

My personal approach is to message on RM and transition to phone messaging once contact has been made.  That preserves my ability to leave a review, but phone app messaging helps confirm the meeting details more quickly.

Edited by DynamicUno

I go days without looking at the RM app/page.  I do not go days w/o looking at text.  If the convo stays on RM Chat, I won't keep up.  That may be part of their motivation to move it to text, to not seem as if they are ignoring you.  Also, it's a good way to monetize the relationship,  you'll likely feel compelled to make an actual appointment if the convo is via Text.

Edited by Rod Hagen

If they won't talk to me on RM, initially, I move on.    Why?   Because of a provider who, a year ago, took my emails where I mentioned what I was looking for, got my real name and posted all of my half of the conversations all over my social media because I chose not to hire him.    So, I stay on RM until I can tell they are sane and then, when we have some level of normalcy, I am OK to switch to What's App or text.    I may miss a provider or two who refuses to chat on RM, but if it saves me $1,000 having to hire an IT professional to block some nut job, it's worth it.

I prefer the very first 2-3 messages via RM messenger, if possible. I don’t waste time, but state my age, overall prefs, location, and request “visit rate”. If things move along I’m happy to switch to phone/text quickly

If things go wrong, my phone number etc. not available to provider if they get upset…which some inexperienced ones do.

I will always start on RM messenger before moving to text, unless the profile specifically says to contact them by text. Mostly works out for me.

I've recently noticed some providers include a phone number for texting, so you have to contact them on RM messenger first. Probably provides them some level of inquiry control and screening?

3 hours ago, pubic_assistance said:

I've had a few RM providers who REFUSE to discuss "business" matters on the RM chat. I suppose they aren't trusting of the degree of privacy they may or may not be getting there.

I agree. I don't believe RM messenger is as encrypted as it should be.

I think it's just an unwritten rule - RM for basic info, and texting for actual hiring.

13 hours ago, PileDriver said:

Curious to hear from providers. I love RM Chat to establish a relationship first. So many providers want to jump to texting immediately. Why? I like the buffer. Initial foreplay. Texting is the next level. Getting ready to consummate. No? Curious.

In my experience A LOT of providers who only message via text use a spam app called Mr Number to read what other providers have said about the client whether they meet them or not.  If the client has several reviews, they simply won't engage. 

23 hours ago, PileDriver said:

Curious to hear from providers. I love RM Chat to establish a relationship first. So many providers want to jump to texting immediately. Why? I like the buffer. Initial foreplay. Texting is the next level. Getting ready to consummate. No? Curious.

Preference or experience. The initial chat has been used by some idiots who want to get off without paying a cent because they are that cheap.

I've seen some providers set an autoreply in their RM chat where they often provide availability and rates to answer the most common questions up front.  Frequently, I've seen where the autoreply provides instructions to send further contact by text.  I've wondered if the clients tend to follow the instructions, but it seems smart to have the autoreply in place.

I tend to prefer the chat as I don't like having details on my text thread; usually happy to move to Whatsapp, if that's available; but I still will reach out on chat for the immediacy of it, when I see a provider I know or am interested in, on-line.

On 4/16/2024 at 8:37 AM, soloyo215 said:

Preference or experience. The initial chat has been used by some idiots who want to get off without paying a cent because they are that cheap.

But surely that can happen on text as well?

On 4/17/2024 at 9:30 AM, DWnyc said:

I’m skeptical on the explanation often given “I rarely check RM messages” - why wouldn’t you check the source of the enquiry in the first place - how many other sources of business does the average provider have?

Speaking for myself here. I use several platforms, and RentMen Messenger is the least reliable because I can’t get push notifications to work no matter how many times I select the setting to do so. Instead, I manually have to check the app, and that’s a few times a day at best. Often not even once a day. The rest of my platforms send me notifications reliably and I respond promptly to those…because I know there is something requiring my attention so I check asap.

Most of my clients aren’t hiring me directly from RentMen anyway, even though for some of them the services they want most closely align with RentMen. Most of my traffic is not on RentMen so I see no reason to give undue attention to checking it constantly, since that is the only way for me to become aware of a message. If I typically don’t receive any new messages for days or even weeks at a stretch, I’m just utterly wasting my time constantly checking. I’m too busy serving my clients, and they’re mostly contacting me by text or another platform messaging system anyhow. Why bother?

I understand some clients’ privacy concerns and ability to review and I validate those reasons, but then I also hear clients complain here because they have unrealistic expectations on response times. Until RentMen invests in a more reliable messaging system, you can’t have it both ways.

By either texting me or messaging me through a platform that sends alerts - even plain old email for god’s sake - you’re going to get my attention and response much faster. For me, sending a RentMen message is worse than sending snail mail. People usually only check snail mail once a day, and there is no alert…

Actually even USPS gives the option now for informed delivery, which is an email once a day with scans of your incoming mail. I like that because I know when something important is waiting for me. The rest can collect and wait until I have a reason to open the mailbox. So yeah, in that sense, traditional postal mail will, in all likelihood get my attention sooner than RentMen Messenger. Literally snail mail is faster and more reliable than RentMen Messenger.

13 hours ago, Simon Suraci said:

RentMen Messenger is the least reliable because I can’t get push notifications to work

Can confirm.

I have to send automated emails to remind myself to check RM a couple of times a week.

It's why I have an auto-reply with clear instructions to email me privately for a response.