Who has a EV, that they're happy with.

glutes

I’ve had a Tesla X about 3 years now. Love it!!

That said, I’ve never done a “road trip” because of the limited range, maybe 250 miles at best. The “ABC’s” of electric vehicles (Always Be Charging) is bothersome sometimes. Super-chargers are super-helpful, a new one just opened right across the street from one of regular North San Diego destinations, so helpful.

As much as I love the car….I would look at hybrids next go around. 

First EV was a 105 mile range Mercedes B250 powered with 1st gen Tesla technology.  No fast charging options.  Range anxiety was real. Especially in the winter.  

Current EV - Volvo XC40 Recharge with 220 miles.  Fast charging at 150KW so under 20% battery to 80% battery usually around 30 minutes.  Winter range is 150-180 miles depending on temp and road conditions.  I'm happy with it overall.  

I've taken it on road trips as far as 700 miles in a single summer day to DC.  Takes a little planning and research.  About to get much easier when Tesla opens their network up.   I find that traveling into the rural centers of Illinois and Indiana are charging deserts about to get better with Tesla's network assisting.  

If it had 250 miles range, it be best for the longer trips.  The stops to charge don't bother me as long as there are amenities like food and rest room options nearby. I found on the DC trip, I'd hook up to the charger, restroom break, walk the dog, grab a quick bite, chill out while eating, walk dog once more, the charge would be complete.  It's amazing how much time you can get back by not babysitting a gas pump. 

I'd look at an app like Plugshare and see what fast charging options are along the routes of frequent roadtrips.  You'd definitely want to have a home charger installed. You can get by on a wall outlet if you work from home.  However, having the 240v 40 amp option will be nice if you ever need to drive a lot in a single day, and want to be ready the next day.  

I have a Kia Niro Hybrid and love it - even though I've had an unusual amount of recalls lol
I bought it so I could make trips like SF>LA without stopping - helps to have a urine receptacle. Especially with California gas prices this has been a great investment.

This is my 3rd KIA. The resale value on them remain so high I always owe less than its worth which makes for easier trade-in. But I've enjoyed my current hybrid so much I plan to own this car outright before I consider selling it.

Below is from today's WSJ. Think I am on pause for a EV.

STOCKHOLM—

Car said it won’t provide further funding to Polestar, the electric-car maker it created with Volvo’s Chinese owner Geely—the latest EV retrenchment by the global auto industry.

The auto industry’s pivot to electric vehicles has been rocked by setbacks this year, just as a flood of new battery-powered models is hitting showrooms.

Earlier this week, French automaker 

said it has decided to cancel the initial public offering of its electric-car unit Ampere. Ford, meanwhile, has slashed production of its electric F-150 Lightning, a pickup truck that has generated major buzz since its launch. Rental-car firm Hertz has said it was dumping about one-third of its EV rental car fleet, replacing the cars with gas-engine vehicles.

Recent articles in the LA Times about the difficulties finding public charging stations in CA with working plugs--a high percentage in some places are defective. Also articles about insufficient electricity from wind and solar power sources in many parts of the state and country, especially in the winter. The assumption that a mandated switch from gas-powered to electric vehicles is a no-brainer solution to global warming is being exposed as not so obvious after all.

8 minutes ago, Thomas_Belgium said:

In my opinion most people that have "range anxiety" are not EV owners. Owning an EV for eleven years, I never had it & other EV drivers I know don't have it either.

If you live in Belgium as your moniker suggests, then I can see why you wouldn’t have range anxiety. It’s a different situation in Canada or many parts of the US where distances between large cities are much greater than in Europe. 

When I lived in Geneva travelling time to other cities in and outside Switzerland was much less than here in Ontario. In 2 hours I could drive through France and get to Italy. At the extreme, it takes a day and a half to get out of Ontario if I was to head west.

I have a standard range Tesla Model 3 and drive it from Tucson to Southern California several times a year; charging times might add 2 hours to driving time, depending upon weather conditions and how fast I'm driving; there are Superchargers at Gila Bend, Tacna and Yuma in Arizona and El Centro in California before you reach San Diego; I do not mind the additional time, and if you grab a bite to eat and walk around a bit, it's not a bad way to travel.

1 hour ago, Just Sayin said:

I have a standard range Tesla Model 3 and drive it from Tucson to Southern California several times a year; charging times might add 2 hours to driving time, depending upon weather conditions and how fast I'm driving; there are Superchargers at Gila Bend, Tacna and Yuma in Arizona and El Centro in California before you reach San Diego; I do not mind the additional time, and if you grab a bite to eat and walk around a bit, it's not a bad way to travel.

Ironically I’ve decided to fly from Long Beach to Phoenix a couple times vs. taking my extended range Model X. The planning app put me at 7 hours plus, 2 charging stops and I would arrive at Biltmore with no charge., 

For me, the decision was made for me last year, when my mother decided to move from Portland to Coeur d'Alene ID- an EV would require a recharge for the 450-mile trip, while a hybrid could do that in just one tank of fuel. So, my next car is gonna be, instead of a Ford Mustang Mach-e, a Maverick hybrid pickup. Sure, not nearly as much fun, but the 43MPG is a compelling argument- even with the low electricity prices here in the Northwest.

On 2/2/2024 at 11:39 AM, MikeBiDude said:

Ironically I’ve decided to fly from Long Beach to Phoenix a couple times vs. taking my extended range Model X. The planning app put me at 7 hours plus, 2 charging stops and I would arrive at Biltmore with no charge., 

Perhaps you saw a story in the papers several years ago about a problem on I-10 between LA and Phoenix that caused cars to be caught in a traffic jam for several hours in a desert area in eastern Riverside County. One guy in a Tesla ran out of power, and Tesla had to send someone to rescue him.

Edited by Charlie

22 hours ago, Charlie said:

Perhaps you saw a story in the papers several years ago about a problem on I-10 between LA and Phoenix that caused cars to be caught in a traffic jam for several hours in a desert area in eastern Riverside County. One guy in a Tesla ran out of power, and Tesla had to send someone to rescue him.

For those situations, EV's with solar panels could be a solution (in the future) for example:

EN.WIKIPEDIA.ORG

Would never, ever buy a Tesla.  Their fit and finish is kinda garbage.  Perhaps in another decade when they've ironed out a decent suspension and can fit together an interior without it rattling after 5k miles.

Now, having driven the new BMW full EVs, those are something to consider.  Built like a goddamned tank.

That said, I still prefer driving my ice V-8 engine.  I have no sensible reason for it, but do enjoy it.