Who has a EV, that they're happy with.

glutes

On 2/11/2024 at 11:18 PM, BenjaminNicholas said:

Would never, ever buy a Tesla.  Their fit and finish is kinda garbage.  Perhaps in another decade when they've ironed out a decent suspension and can fit together an interior without it rattling after 5k miles.

Now, having driven the new BMW full EVs, those are something to consider.  Built like a goddamned tank.

That said, I still prefer driving my ice V-8 engine.  I have no sensible reason for it, but do enjoy it.

Love my BMW XM; best of both worlds. I can decide to drive battery only and get gas when the weather is nice, or add in the V8 and have plenty of power. It's a great toy. Of course, none of these are any good for the environment as long as we burn coal to power them. Once we get fusion and better batteries, they may make environmental sense as well.

4 hours ago, Max said:

Love my BMW XM; best of both worlds. I can decide to drive battery only and get gas when the weather is nice, or add in the V8 and have plenty of power. It's a great toy. Of course, none of these are any good for the environment as long as we burn coal to power them. Once we get fusion and better batteries, they may make environmental sense as well.

Not good for the environment, but they have done the calculations here, and less green house gases are produced using coal to produce the electricity to charge an EV than an ICE vehicle would produce to travel the same distances using petroleum-based fuel. Of course the more green energy in your local power supply the less CO2 your driving will produce.

On 2/14/2024 at 8:02 PM, mike carey said:

Not good for the environment, but they have done the calculations here, and less green house gases are produced using coal to produce the electricity to charge an EV than an ICE vehicle would produce to travel the same distances using petroleum-based fuel. Of course the more green energy in your local power supply the less CO2 your driving will produce.

I've read that the break even for full electric is at least a decade given the energy consumed to produce the battery, etc. We need more nuclear and to focus on fusion; once there, we'll need a lot more grid and storage, and then this will all make much more sense. Toyota has teased a 750 mile batter with a 10 minute charge time. Game changer if that becomes available. 

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting ... an Australian news outlet did a comparison of an electric vs. ICE BMW 7-series, the cost of driving Melbourne to Sydney, and it cost more in the electric, not to mention the trip took longer because of time to recharge.  They concluded that electric is cheaper if you're charging up at home and just driving locally, but more expensive for road trips that require recharging at public charging spots.