Do snowy days negatively affect business?

Not so heavy a snow here today in the DMV... yet, I was considering going out for a massage this afternoon but decided against it. I would need to drive from the suburbs, and I was an idiot and didn't park in the garage last night. 🤷‍♂️ If I had made a booking I would have kept it, or if everything was walk + metro distance, I would have pursued it.

Edited by Your Man in Arlington

Your Man in Arlington brought a point related to geography. Snow hasn't slowed me down because I live and work in cities with transportation that runs in spite of snow. I imagine that people who need to drive might have to consider the transportation issue during the snow. I think the providers might have more accurate info. I wonder if they get more bookings, more cancellations or both.

It can be a challenge,  the cold weather sounds like it would be great for snuggling,  but  I certainly don't like getting out at night and I've found others seeking service can be a bit cranky and less positive.    We don't get that much snow in southern Kansas and not much to speak of right now.    That helps.

As one who hires providers, it's a given that it effects business adversely. I've missed out on a dreamy booty man who sadly no longer advertises due to a severe snowstorm blockading the highway on the day I was to see him. I thought it was so cool that he offered for 1 day a year two hours for the amount of one, on the day after Thanksgiving. Last year was the first time he no longer had that offer, and due to the major driving distance, I didn't want to book.

1 hour ago, DrownedBoy said:

I didn't even bother during a heavy Chicago snowstorm. I have experience driving down unplowed side streets in Chicago, and I don't need someone getting in an accident over me.

I do have to hire when it's sub-freezing out, but that goes with the territory.

Unfortunately, we don't have a smart emoji to rate your post! 

Just had a rouge storm come thru yesterday in my area that left about 2-3 inches of snow. I had a same day booking request that I was considering to take, but by the time I got the needed details and was about to schedule: the snow started coming down. I checked Google maps and even though the roads in my area were okay, closer to Kansas City I noticed a backup in both directions and an accident.  KC seems to always get more snow (and worse drivers 🤢) so I ended up telling him I wouldn’t be able to meet due to the conditions. And it’s not just going there, it’s coming back too. 

I think if anything: people seem to reach out MORE for outcalls, when it’s snowing. It’s like, no. I’m not 911 or Superman. I know it seems warm and cozy but…it’s not fun being stressed on the way to/from a booking. Same thing with summer thunderstorms. I was on my way to a client last year, the highway turned into a river and a few cars stalled out. He’s blowing up my phone texting like, are you here? Are you close? Are you on your way still???

I didn’t even bother reading his message’s until I pulled up in the driveway. It’s like dude, you see the weather. Fucking chill out and be patient. I don’t like being rushed when the weather is already bad.

If a client does want to meet in bad weather: expect to wait an additional 2 to 4 hours, and try to avoid same day booking requests. If the weather is going to bad, planning a day in advance will at least give me a chance to coordinate my timing around it.

Here in Canada snowstorms are a given at some point during the winter. However we are prepared for that and used to winter driving conditions. That being said I would not schedule either an incall or outcall in the midst of a storm or if one was pending. That’s because either I or the provider is looking at a fair drive as I live in a small town. 

2 hours ago, Luv2play said:

Here in Canada snowstorms are a given at some point during the winter. However we are prepared for that and used to winter driving conditions. That being said I would not schedule either an incall or outcall in the midst of a storm or if one was pending. That’s because either I or the provider is looking at a fair drive as I live in a small town. 

That's not the case here in Washington DC "a city with the charm of the North and the efficiency of the South" as described by JFK.

I'm in Texas. Some may remember our ice storm a couple of years ago that knocked power out for a couple of weeks because our power grid failed thanks to our dimwit governor's lack of preparation.  After that, he still did not learn his lesson and did not do anything to prepare for winter weather. So, cold temps are fine, but any precipitation and I am staying home.  It's freakishly cold here right now, but the roads are OK.  I have been looking for someone to do an outcall to come to me because I hate going out in 15 degrees F cold.  I know, I know, it's way colder for many of you.  

18 hours ago, The Dude said:

There's no way I'm going out in a snowstorm or sub-zero temps, and I'd feel guilty asking a guy to come over in extreme weather.

I did outcall visit the other night, and I think the high was only 3 that day. But since it was a late evening visit, I was able to suggest that we’d have to do an overnight if I came up because I wasn’t going to want to drive back again at night. So in that case I didn’t mind.

Ordinarily I used to be ok driving in snow though. I lived in Denver, and every so often I’d get a call during or right after a big snow. But long as the person was within 10 miles of me in the city I didn’t mind. Other times I was traveling to/from a city and had no choice. 

I know some people have Jeeps or 4WD and don’t mind. But it’s still the factor of it taking longer to get to a destination and also the way back. I remember one year in April, I was in Milwaukee. I went in the gym and it was dry. Came out the gym and there was like 2-3 inches of snow. Then I got stuck on my way to a client’s hotel trying to go up a bridge. Looking back, I would have just rather booked a room at his hotel and stayed overnight myself. 

Edited by Jarrod_Uncut

3 hours ago, Jarrod_Uncut said:

I did outcall visit the other night, and I think the high was only 3 that day. But since it was a late evening visit, I was able to suggest that we’d have to do an overnight if I came up because I wasn’t going to want to drive back again at night. So in that case I didn’t mind.

So may I ask, did you charge for the overnight visit, I am assuming several hundred dollars, or just a regular visit, but slept on the couch or something like that?  

1 hour ago, questbear said:

So may I ask, did you charge for the overnight visit, I am assuming several hundred dollars, or just a regular visit, but slept on the couch or something like that?  

Well, it was an actual overnight visit price. Now I have done such visits without overnight price, but usually the client has a separate guest bedroom.  I was almost going to get a hotel room if it wasn’t going to be an overnight. But I’m not going to sleep on a client’s couch though lol.

6 hours ago, BuffaloKyle said:

This snow storm that has lasted pretty much for a week in Buffalo has caused, for the first time ever that I have seen, to have zero providers currently listed on rentmen. 😅

Lol I was wondering about that because: every time I looked at my iPhone weather cities, Buffalo has showed snow for like the past 5-6 days everyday. Can’t even imagine why 😯 

If I was there, I’d be chillin in everyday and just doing incalls lol.