Are you "gay"? Are you "queer"? What the hell are you?!

Charlie

I consider myself “sexual” and have no other labels~ I was raised on the idea that people are sexual regardless of gender or preference~ So, there wasn’t a strong push to identify as male, female, straight, bi, gay etc., and as a result, I just identity as sexual~
 my preferences whether gender or sexual are not the focal point of my identity. 

On 10/14/2023 at 6:10 AM, pubic_assistance said:

Have you really ?

It's still an insult.

So how did y'all "take ownership"?

Both "f***ot" and "qu**r" are still pejorative and meant to make someone feel bad about themselves. I refuse to accept these words simply because I am not a mainstreamer. Pretending to embrace it doesn't make you have ownership. It makes you a sucker for punishment.

IDK… I hear those words a lot and they are used in endearing ways between people similar to the way people use the “n” word or other words that reference color, position in life, gender, class~ So, it seems intent and context can change the interpretation of the words and their application~   
 The words themselves are sounds and letters… The intent and context changes everything~ 

Edited by Tygerscent

19 hours ago, José Soplanucas said:

. I wonder what the thousands of academics working in Queer Studies Departments in universities worldwide would think about your fragility.

Given the shockingly horrid remarks of students and clubs at universities recently, any new language generated by universities should be taken cautiously instead of becoming the norm.

8 hours ago, Tygerscent said:

I hear those words a lot and they are used in endearing ways between people similar to the way people use the “n” word or other words that reference color, position in life, gender, class

Since when is the  n-word "endearing" ???

It is used as a way of "climbing on top" of someone. It may be done between friends and in a joking manner..but it's still a challenge, not a compliment.

Edited by pubic_assistance
grammar

On 10/13/2023 at 12:28 PM, Lucky said:

Gay here. I hate it when I see newspapers use "queer" as an accepted word.

One website that I use has expanded the LGBT acronym to LGBTQIAP+ 

Where does it stop?

In our generation the word gay was the accepted term.  Today's homosexuals prefer the term queer.  Then we have individuals using LGBTQIAP+ when speaking as well as in written articles and books.  

My sense is: "use what is the most comfortable for you as an individual."

57 minutes ago, Axiom2001 said:

In our generation the word gay was the accepted term.  Today's homosexuals prefer the term queer.  Then we have individuals using LGBTQIAP+ when speaking as well as in written articles and books.  

My sense is: "use what is the most comfortable for you as an individual."

Indeed. However, those terms are not equivalent and do represent different understandings. I think discussing them is also discussing how we think about human sexuality.

• 2 weeks later...

The meaning of words evolves over time. Saying it’s impossible for queer to be empowering because it means “strange” or “other” makes as much sense as saying “fa**ot” cant be an insult because it means “bundle of sticks.”  Sure, these words can mean those things, in specific contexts. In the modern context “queer” means “not conforming to cis and heteronormative expectations of gender and sexuality.” In many contexts today that is used in a positive or neutral descriptive way. It’s possible to lob it as an insult or slur, depending on the intent of the speaker, the same way “gay” can be a neutral or positive term or be used as an insult or slur depending on the speaker’s intent. 

Just like the "F" word and the "N" word. I feel those that claim they are trying to "reclaimed it" do so in poor taste and poor judgment doing themselves and all of us a disservice. But that's just my opinion. Others obviously think differently about it. Language does change though not always for the better. Call me old-fashioned.  

Queer SLUR.jpg

39 minutes ago, Danny-Darko said:

Just like the "F" word and the "N" word. I feel those that claim they are trying to "reclaimed it" do so in poor taste and poor judgment doing themselves and all of us a disservice. But that's just my opinion. Others obviously think differently about it. Language does change though not always for the better. Call me old-fashioned.  

Queer SLUR.jpg

I had a great-aunt who would say, "I'm feeling a bit queer," if she wasn't feeling 100%.  We used to laugh under our breaths because we all thought she was probably a lesbian anyway, regardless of how she was feeling.

24 minutes ago, CuriousByNature said:

I had a great-aunt who would say, "I'm feeling a bit queer," if she wasn't feeling 100%.  We used to laugh under our breaths because we all thought she was probably a lesbian anyway, regardless of how she was feeling.

Yes, and my parents used "gay" to refer to something happy and pleasant, and "cool" for them only referred to temperature and climate. In my lifetime "queer" was an ugly insult like the "F" word, while the older generations used it as something strange and unnatural. Never in a positive light.  

Edited by Danny-Darko

2 hours ago, Danny-Darko said:

Yes, and my parents used "gay" to refer to something happy and pleasant, and "cool" for them only referred to temperature and climate. In my lifetime "queer" was an ugly insult like the "F" word, while the older generations used it as something strange and unnatural. Never in a positive light.  

Someone who uses queer to identify themselves or others isn't necessarily trying to be insulting , it just shows they are young and naive about how insulting their well intentions are.  I give them a break if they are under 40 and use queer.  After all, we all make mistakes when we're young, myself included.

12 minutes ago, MikeBiDude said:

What about Queer Nation?  

Queer Nation created this sticker in 1990 (It's from the link you provided).  Yeah.... I'm not going to take guidance from them regarding terms I'd like to be called.

image.png.1b617d21ec0852bff22ef9e0e15269b1.png

Edited by Vegas_Millennial
Removed language self-imposed by these faggots, excuse me, queers, in their publication.

On 10/14/2023 at 10:18 AM, pubic_assistance said:

I agree that young people often struggle to "fit in" and respond in their failure with rebellion.

But calling yourself "queer" isn't a rebellion it's accepting your failure. Not as someone who doesn't WANT to fit in...but as someone who CAN'T.

18 minutes ago, José Soplanucas said:

Would you say you are gay AND queer? Honest question, no snark here.

It's sad after so many years of bigotry to start calling gay people "strange" or "weird' now that we've demonstrated its perfectly normal. If you want to call a hairy dude in a pair of heels and a frock, queer...then I could get on board. That's always gonna be weird. But there are plenty of gay and bisexual peope who lead perfectly normal lives. So why refer to them under an umbrella of weirdness ?

19 hours ago, Brak said:

It also rubs me the wrong way when people whine about how long LGBTQIA+ etc. are getting nowadays. Like, no one’s going to yell at you for saying LGBT. People are just trying to be more thoughtful and make more people feel included, I don’t know why it’s a bad thing. 

The more letters make it less meaningful. Pretty soon you will have the whole alphabet.

1 hour ago, Lucky said:

The more letters make it less meaningful. Pretty soon you will have the whole alphabet.

That is why heterosexuals mockingly call it "The Alphabet Squad", "The Alphabet Soup", "The Skittles Squad" among other things. None of this is meant as a compliment or in jest! We are in the process of losing any and all credibility and respect we have gained and not only in the USA but worldwide! We are being ridiculed in the international press! Some countries have begun to pass laws anti-gay laws to avoid having what has happened here in the USA in their countries! The "LGBTQ+...." "pride" themselves calling us a "community" while being so divisive to so many of us while attempting to embrace everybody and even make up communities and genders! All most of us ever wanted were equal rights under the law and equal protection, nothing more, nothing less and to live respectful lives. Now we stand to lose it all because of stupidities. And I've seen it all start with language and changing the meaning of words. As if the English language wasn't rich enough or lacked vocabulary to express any idea considering the vastness of our literary heritage! There is nothing new under the sun, so why change meanings of words and make things up to satisfy a minority of misguided counterculture people?! 

9 hours ago, pubic_assistance said:

It's sad after so many years of bigotry to start calling gay people "strange" or "weird' now that we've demonstrated its perfectly normal. If you want to call a hairy dude in a pair of heels and a frock, queer...then I could get on board. That's always gonna be weird. But there are plenty of gay and bisexual peope who lead perfectly normal lives. So why refer to them under an umbrella of weirdness ?

Let's keep hammering the same concept, perhaps finally you all get it. It's important to recognize that language can be highly subjective, and the meanings of words can vary from person to person. The way individuals identify with and understand terms related to their identity, such as "queer," can be deeply personal and may differ from one person to another. "Queer" is a term that has been reclaimed by many in the LGBTQ+ community, and it is often used as an inclusive and umbrella term to describe non-heteronormative sexual orientations and gender identities.

Edited by José Soplanucas
to make clear I am not referring only to pubicass

52 minutes ago, José Soplanucas said:

"Queer" is a term that has been reclaimed by many in the LGBTQ+ community,

"Queer" means freak.

It always has. It always will.

You want to be identified as a freak...go ahead. But don't drag me into your mess.

It's 2023 and a big chunk of the planet gets that sexuality is fluid. So homo+bi-sexuality is no longer "weird". It's perfectly normal.