Grocery Shopping II: Self check out, like or loath?

ICTJOCK

4 minutes ago, pubic_assistance said:

Well...the "ugly American" is one who demands that Europeans comply with their own American standards. In this case the idea of self-service is already an ugly American invention so my expectations were the opposite.

(Also I wasn't demanding all....in these instances I just act like I'm mentally disabled). Blind, elderly and stupid people still get help. 😉

Acting? 🤫

22 minutes ago, Lucky said:

Acting? 🤫

Yes @Lucky.

As much as you think people with differences in philosophical viewpoints are stupid, there ARE people who can respect that people are just different. Different viewpoints borne from different life experiences.

In this case, I grew up middle class with aspirations to be able to enjoy the services that I observed were afforded the upper middle class.

As I grew older, the world has changed and even the "uppers" are subjected to help-yourself attitude in retail. But i didn't work this hard to do self service, so I don't. I won't bully anyone to get it but I do admit to acting confused that I should be expected to do so.

😜

On 11/18/2023 at 4:57 PM, marylander1940 said:

I wouldn't be surprised if in some European countries like France self-checkouts are banned because kill jobs.

It's not banned, I know there's self-checkouts in Brussels but in most supermarkets it's just not a thing, I tried to find out why but I couldn't find a clear answer. Two years ago a supermarket chain (Jumbo) introduced a "chat cashier" for people that want a chat & don't mind waiting.

2 hours ago, Thomas_Belgium said:

It's not banned, I know there's self-checkouts in Brussels but in most supermarkets it's just not a thing, I tried to find out why but I couldn't find a clear answer. Two years ago a supermarket chain (Jumbo) introduced a "chat cashier" for people that want a chat & don't mind waiting.

I didn't say they were banned, I simply said that maybe in the future they think about doing it like they came up with a 35 hours a week trying to artificially keep jobs alive. 

10 minutes ago, marylander1940 said:

I didn't say they were banned, I simply said that maybe in the future they think about doing it like they came up with a 35 hours a week trying to artificially keep jobs alive. 

When I was in Europe a few months ago I encountered self-service check-out stands at some grocery stores in Austria, Switzerland, and the Netherlands.  I always went to the cashier for service.  One time, I did notice on my receipt that I had been charged some nominal fee (around 0.35 Euros).  I was in a hurry to catch a train so I didn't have time to ask about it, and the receipt wasn't in English so I can't be certain what it was for; but, I believe it was a fee for using the human cashier.

Recent news reports suggest multiple retail/grocery stores are removing self-checkout and re-instituting more cashiers. They claim self-checkout results in more honest mistakes, more theft/shoplifting, and more technical problems.  

i know at our local CVS, they seem to be having more technical problems with self-checkout lately which results in a cashier having to come over and fix the problem. It’s getting very frustrating.

I don’t mind using self-checkout if I don’t have to weigh things.  Our local small grocer doesn’t have self-checkout so not an issue there. 

Anyway, keep a lookout for your local self-checkout option being removed😉.

WWW.CNN.COM

Target is testing a new self-checkout policy as retailers are finding the cashier-less...

Edited by EZEtoGRU