HURRICANE HILARY

Becket

12 hours ago, Vulgarii said:

The skies have been clear here and I stocked up on booze and snacks. I feel like this is just a test round for the bullshit climate change lockdowns and it looks the sheeple are more gullible and compliant than ever. 

Honestly!  All the Sturm und Drang about disasters, plagues and house arrest leaves me weary.  🥱

First thing tomorrow, I'm planning to cancel all my insurance - car, house and medical - and let the chips fall where they may.  I haven't been blown to Bermuda yet and I'm betting I never will be. 💨  Three years of wearing a face mask and all I have to show for it is clear lungs and a rubber rash behind my ears.  😷  And why I worry about getting t-boned by a driverless Waymo is beyond me.  🚕  Just as you say, it's all bullshit, pure and simple.  💩

Once I'm finished tearing up my policies, I think I'll fill in my driveway with some nice bamboo and eucalyptus.  It's not like I go around tossing lighted matches and, if the fire trucks can't get through, I'm sure I can piss away any flames before they really get going. 🔥 🔥 🔥

All that's left after that is to get rid of my stash of snacks and booze.  Unfortunately, everyone I know these days is a teetotalling vegan so I may have to bite the bullet and finish them off myself.  There's bound to be some health benefit from grain alcohol, processed cheese food, artificial flavor and preservatives.  If not, at least the weather's nice and I won't have to spend my day indoors hunkered over the commode. 🤮

What a relief it will be to finally stop worrying about overblown disasters that will probably never happen!  I feel better already!  rolleyes.gif

simon_slip_on_banana_peel_300_wht.gif&f=

2 hours ago, BuffaloKyle said:

Weather can change in a hurry! When we had our xmas blizzard here in Buffalo it went from total calm and not much of anything to 75MPH winds and total whiteout in literally 5 minutes. And the amount of snow that started piling up was incredible. That's exactly how so many people got stranded so fast in their cars and died.

And you live in Buffalo - why?

I like things measured in inches, too, but I draw the line at single digits and moving a lot slower than 75MPH.

1 hour ago, Charlie said:

Rainfall has been extremely heavy here in the Coachella Valley for the last couple of hours, though it is finally slowing down. My house is surrounded by flowing water. Gov. Newsom showed up at the Palm Springs Emergency Operations Center at noon.

As I remember PS houses, they are pretty close to the ground with no basements. If the water is surrounding your house is there any danger of it entering. Or have you sandbagged your doors?

23 minutes ago, BobPS said:

I live in Palm Springs, and I just took my dog for a walk. The heavy rain has stopped and there’s no wind. It is drizzling. Hopefully the storm is it on its way out.

Our dog was born and bred in the desert. He doesn't understand the necessity of going out to walk in rain and snow the way his east coast brethren do. It's been a traumatic day for him.

8 hours ago, BuffaloKyle said:

Weather can change in a hurry! When we had our xmas blizzard here in Buffalo it went from total calm and not much of anything to 75MPH winds and total whiteout in literally 5 minutes. And the amount of snow that started piling up was incredible. That's exactly how so many people got stranded so fast in their cars and died.

Maybe you can explain this for me, but I have zero understanding why anyone would choose to live in Buffalo, perhaps the city with the worse climate in the US. Are you simply very religious, and believe that you'll spend an eternity in Heaven, so our few decades on Earth don't matter? Surely you understand that it's not necessary for you to risk freezing to death in your car or abode? I understand that Canadians have little choice--it's just bad or worse (though if I were determined to live in Canada, it'd surely be in Vancouver or Victoria). But Buffalo residents? 

Our rains have died down and I've let our dogs out to do their business. I did also take all of our lawn chairs inside, took my car out of the garage, and put the garbage cans in the garage as a precaution. Bad weather events are pretty rare over here--mainly just flash floods and mudslides.

9 hours ago, Unicorn said:

Maybe you can explain this for me, but I have zero understanding why anyone would choose to live in Buffalo, perhaps the city with the worse climate in the US. Are you simply very religious, and believe that you'll spend an eternity in Heaven, so our few decades on Earth don't matter? Surely you understand that it's not necessary for you to risk freezing to death in your car or abode? I understand that Canadians have little choice--it's just bad or worse (though if I were determined to live in Canada, it'd surely be in Vancouver or Victoria). But Buffalo residents? 

I was born here and all my family is here and enjoy the sports scene and food and our non winter months are nice.

20 hours ago, Lookin said:

What a relief it will be to finally stop worrying about overblown disasters that will probably never happen!  I feel better already!  rolleyes.gif

Great!  And now that you have some time, can you STFU and come mop my basement floor? 

It got a little bit wet from all the rain.  😉

Edited by stevenkesslar

On 8/20/2023 at 11:34 PM, Unicorn said:

Our rains have died down and I've let our dogs out to do their business. I did also take all of our lawn chairs inside, took my car out of the garage, and put the garbage cans in the garage as a precaution. Bad weather events are pretty rare over here--mainly just flash floods and mudslides.

Canada has great seasons. Summer although short is beautiful and something to look forward to. Fall and spring are nice changes of season with decent weather and gorgeous colors in the fall and new life springing forth in spring. Winter is absolutely beautiful with crisp clean air, landscapes covered in fluffy snow and the chance to x-country ski in that crisp cold air even when -30 c. Below that we just tend to hunker down and enjoy indoor activities for a few days in front of a nice fire in the fireplace. Would hate to live somewhere without four very distinct seasons.  And this is at the edge of the boreal forest and the plains in the middle of Canada. Can't be beat!

14 minutes ago, Just966 said:

Canada has great seasons. Summer although short is beautiful and something to look forward to. Fall and spring are nice changes of season with decent weather and gorgeous colors in the fall and new life springing forth in spring. Winter is absolutely beautiful with crisp clean air, landscapes covered in fluffy snow and the chance to x-country ski in that crisp cold air even when -30 c. Below that we just tend to hunker down and enjoy indoor activities for a few days in front of a nice fire in the fireplace. Would hate to live somewhere without four very distinct seasons.  And this is at the edge of the boreal forest and the plains in the middle of Canada. Can't be beat!

Destination Canada is hiring!

https://www.destinationcanada.com/en/careers

😉

5 hours ago, Just966 said:

If you don't plan to or can't move, then you have to tell yourself that the weather is great, even if it isn't.  

In Boston, tons of people wear shorts whenever the temperature reaches 50°.  Mind you, wearing shorts isn't really comfortable at 50°, but it's a coping mechanism, "hey, the weather's not that bad - you can wear shorts 6 months of the year!"

If Canadian winters are so wonderful, why do zillions of Canadian snowbirds flock to warm climates in the winter?

10 minutes ago, BSR said:

If you don't plan to or can't move, then you have to tell yourself that the weather is great, even if it isn't.  

In Boston, tons of people wear shorts whenever the temperature reaches 50°.  Mind you, wearing shorts isn't really comfortable at 50°, but it's a coping mechanism, "hey, the weather's not that bad - you can wear shorts 6 months of the year!"

If Canadian winters are so wonderful, why do zillions of Canadian snowbirds flock to warm climates in the winter?

In most of Canada the winters are very harsh compared to many parts of the USA.  But perhaps more than the temperatures, the short hours of daylight north of the 49th parallel can wreak havoc on those with seasonal affective disorder.   The west coast is pretty mild, but I remember living there and seeing the entire city of Vancouver paralyzed when two inches of snow would fall.  And summers out there can start in May and last through September, so not short at all.  But you still have to deal with gloomy rainy skies for days on end during fall, winter and spring, and that can get depressing.  That is a good time of year to escape for a couple of weeks now and then - assuming one can afford to travel after paying the ridiculous cost of housing in Greater Vancouver!

1 hour ago, CuriousByNature said:

In most of Canada the winters are very harsh compared to many parts of the USA.  But perhaps more than the temperatures, the short hours of daylight north of the 49th parallel can wreak havoc on those with seasonal affective disorder.   The west coast is pretty mild, but I remember living there and seeing the entire city of Vancouver paralyzed when two inches of snow would fall.  And summers out there can start in May and last through September, so not short at all.  But you still have to deal with gloomy rainy skies for days on end during fall, winter and spring, and that can get depressing.  That is a good time of year to escape for a couple of weeks now and then - assuming one can afford to travel after paying the ridiculous cost of housing in Greater Vancouver!

I live in the central prairie provinces and we are quite use to the weather and typically are not paralyzed by the weather or snowfall as are some areas ( like Vancouver) who are not use  to the extreme weather. A week or so in the south is just a nice mid winter break from the cold but would still never give it up. Love the 4 seasons we have. 

The one thing about age is that winter sports are more difficult for most of us. I used to do a lot of skiing and gradually gave it up, first alpine and then nordic. Just didn't want to have a bad fall and break my legs or worse. 

But then I've given up a lot of summer sports as well, like tennis, sailing and horse back riding. Still swim but indoors year round. So the seasons, of which we have four, are less varied for me now but then I've seen a lot of life.

One thing that has been a blessing in my older age is my sex life. With this hobby we mostly share, it just keeps truckin along. 😛 Weather be damned.