HURRICANE HILARY

Becket

4 hours ago, Becket said:

Hey California guys! Let us know how you are preparing for and getting through your first Hurricane in decades.

Thank you 🙏🏽 Kind and thoughtful.  As of right now the coast here in Southern California is clear skies... incidentally, Palm Springs is utilizing sandbags... fingers crossed for no loss of life and property. I hope my native Baja California Mexico 🇲🇽 stays safe.

Well, we've taken down the pool umbrellas. We will probably not try to drive down Nichols Canyon Road from Sunday-Tuesday, as it's a mess after heavy rains. This is from the last storm:

nichols-canyon-road-mudslide-hollywood-h
WWW.CBSNEWS.COM

Nichols Canyon Road was blocked in both directions in the Hollywood Hills Wednesday morning due to a mudslide overnight.
nichols-canyon-painting-david-hockney-po
WWW.THECOLLECTOR.COM

Nichols Canyon, a treasured landscape by David Hockney, will go up for auction at Phillips. The painting is expected to fetch $35 million as the sale’s top lot.

The skies are dark, I hear occasional thunder and have seen some lightning. When I take my dog out, he hunkers down and refuses to move in any direction. I have taken inside anything movable, have shut off our underground irrigation system, and as soon as I have finished reading everything on this site, I will head to the supermarket to stock up on supplies (I have my priorities, you know.)

Just returned from the supermarkets, where the shelves look like they did during the pandemic; e.g., Albertson's had no bananas, the ideal food in a power outage (very nutritious, and no need for refrigeration or heating). I had to go to two supermarkets to get everything on my list. Ironically, the sun just came out strong.

I'm a bit of a weather nerd... and as of several days ago, one of the potential tracks was that the storm would hit my area - that's no longer likely.   Still, I've been watching... and also reacting to all of the dramatic reactions.   Legit weather outlets love to hype these events, but at least they're reporting accurately 

Social media is actually funny in its reaction.  Posting that a hurricane will hit CA.  

The water off CA is too cold to support a hurricane.   And, it will come ashore at the north end of the Baja peninsula which will also weaken it.  It MIGHT still be a tropical storm (winds > 39mph) when it hits CA.  So, strictly responding to terminology... the hysteria online of CA getting hit by a hurricane is comical.  

Also, it's been warm and humid in CA for a couple of weeks... so little storms are popping up everywhere.  Every one in last few days "the hurricane is here!" Even if days away.

That's just my reaction to the hype.  It's still a serious rain event.  Its the first tropical storm warning ever.. they didn't have warnings when it last happened 80 yeaes ago.  And SoCal is not built for 2-5 inches of rain in a storm.  There's potential for catastrophic flooding

One good thing... hurricane picked up speed today.  The faster it moves through, the less rain it will drop.  Worst floods are when storms stall, dumping hour after hour of rain on one area.  Hope it continues to move faster.

Stay safe, SoCal

4 minutes ago, LaffingBear said:

Probably not much effect.  Lake Mead water comes from the east, Colorado River basin, Lake Powell, Rockies, etc.  This storm is forecast to move through western NV, which is downstream of Mead.  

you're right!

As a self proclaimed "weather nerd" do you think Tulare lake will benefit from this hurricane? 

image.png.a8c4f6647dbbc429ce1c718f44ea076f.png

Edited by marylander1940

2 minutes ago, marylander1940 said:

you're right!

image.png.a8c4f6647dbbc429ce1c718f44ea076f.png

Everything in the southwest water system works together.  While the immediate concern is flooding... if this event adds some water to California reservoirs, that's less they need to draw from Mead.

Mead is having a good year, water level is rising.  Rockies' snowpack, melt, is strong.  They released more water from Powell than anticipated.   And CA agreed in May to draw less water.

Probably short term.. but every drop saved, helps

So MLB smartly moved all the Sunday baseball games in Cali to today as doubleheaders. But the NFL has said that the Sunday night preseason game in LA will go on as scheduled. What idiots. It's a meaningless game and you want thousands of people driving there to see it. It's all about the 💰 for Roger Goodell.

i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2022%2F0210%2Fr972367_1
WWW.ESPN.COM

As the possibility looms of a tropical storm making landfall in Southern California, the Saints-Chargers preseason game will be played as originally scheduled...

The weather site I use shows rain hitting Palm Springs after midnight tonight, dropping off tomorrow morning, and then hitting hard between noon and 9:00pm on Sunday.  Peak rain and winds will be between 4:00 and 5:00 on Sunday afternoon.  Of course, these forecasts can change by the hour.

Here's hoping everyone stays safe and comfortable.

When this deluge has passed, I'm imagining there will be some incredible displays of desert plants through August and September.  I hope there will be lots to celebrate in the weeks to come.

It has been raining lightly all night, but the wind and rain are supposed to pick up considerably after noon, and we are under a flood watch until 5pm tomorrow. The most vulnerable main roads in northern Palm Springs have been closed since midnight. Some airlines have cancelled service into PSP.

I leapt out of bed this morning at the sound raindrops.  "Hilary has arrived!", I thought.

By the time windows were all closed the rain had stopped here along the coast.

Checking the weather news now, looks as though the center of Hilary has not yet arrived in Cali. 

Many inland areas have been receiving precip. but not so much here.

I cleaned out my rain gutters yesterday to accommodate heavy rain, whenever it arrives.

Best scenario for me would be for the rain to end before my Monday morning commute.

For now I keep checking accuweather, their website and on TV (I like Michelle McCloud ❤)

23 hours ago, LaffingBear said:

I'm a bit of a weather nerd... and as of several days ago, one of the potential tracks was that the storm would hit my area - that's no longer likely.   Still, I've been watching... and also reacting to all of the dramatic reactions.   Legit weather outlets love to hype these events, but at least they're reporting accurately 

Social media is actually funny in its reaction.  Posting that a hurricane will hit CA.  

The water off CA is too cold to support a hurricane.   And, it will come ashore at the north end of the Baja peninsula which will also weaken it.  It MIGHT still be a tropical storm (winds > 39mph) when it hits CA.  So, strictly responding to terminology... the hysteria online of CA getting hit by a hurricane is comical.  

Also, it's been warm and humid in CA for a couple of weeks... so little storms are popping up everywhere.  Every one in last few days "the hurricane is here!" Even if days away.

That's just my reaction to the hype.  It's still a serious rain event.  Its the first tropical storm warning ever.. they didn't have warnings when it last happened 80 yeaes ago.  And SoCal is not built for 2-5 inches of rain in a storm.  There's potential for catastrophic flooding

One good thing... hurricane picked up speed today.  The faster it moves through, the less rain it will drop.  Worst floods are when storms stall, dumping hour after hour of rain on one area.  Hope it continues to move faster.

Stay safe, SoCal

Any time that heavy rain is forecast in Vancouver, my aunt calls and tells me they're expecting an 'atmospheric river'.  When I was a kid, we had light rain, moderate rain, and heavy rain.  The media likes to make things much more dramatic, and I'm waiting for the day that she calls and tells me that a 'climate tsunami' is on its way.  She also calls any two days in a row with temps above 25C (78F) a 'heat dome'... lol.

49 minutes ago, CuriousByNature said:

Any time that heavy rain is forecast in Vancouver, my aunt calls and tells me they're expecting an 'atmospheric river'.  When I was a kid, we had light rain, moderate rain, and heavy rain.  The media likes to make things much more dramatic, and I'm waiting for the day that she calls and tells me that a 'climate tsunami' is on its way.  She also calls any two days in a row with temps above 25C (78F) a 'heat dome'... lol.

And I certainly hope she is receiving royalties for coining the term 'polar vortex'. 😀

10 hours ago, Vulgarii said:

The skies have been clear here and I stocked up on booze and snacks. I feel like this is just a test round for the bullshit climate change lockdowns and it looks the sheeple are more gullible and compliant than ever.

Weather can change in a hurry! When we had our xmas blizzard here in Buffalo it went from total calm and not much of anything to 75MPH winds and total whiteout in literally 5 minutes. And the amount of snow that started piling up was incredible. That's exactly how so many people got stranded so fast in their cars and died.

My house is up the hill from the San Diego Bay.  All we've had today is a light drizzle.  Sometimes a little bit more.  And sometimes it just stops for a little while.

I was looking at the rainfall amounts posted for each hour in the AccuWeather app all day yesterday and the rain amounts seemed pretty small.  Like 0.15" for the single hour.  I felt a little worried that I really didn't prepare anything even though San Diego Gas & Electric has been leaving voicemails to prepare for the worst.  But I was just counting on the actual forecast for my local area.  So far, so good.