NYC Hotel Recommendations 2.0

DMICS

What’s up guys?

I say 2.0 because I had a thread on this pre-pandemic but it’s so old I probably can’t bump it.

Anyways, I’m in NYC for the summer and while I have my actual house in one of the boroughs I prefer to get a hotel in the city for hiring purposes. Dayuse.com has been my go-to after a few members here suggested it in past pre-pandemic.

Looking for any updated suggestions. Mainly Chelsea or Hell’s Kitchen. I don’t need 5 star ror luxury hotels. My main caveat is no check-in or guest sign-in, I want visitors to come and go discreetly as they please (I’ll still call in advance before booking to ask the general protocol on the subject). 

One other thing I wanted to ask, is there a site for hotels that gives a map layout of the rooms, like what SeatGuru provides for airlines? I know it might be impossible considering how many hotel franchises exist vs. airplanes. 

The reason I ask is I absolutely despise hotels where the bathroom is right next to your hotel room’s entrance when you walk in. When I enter my room I like to walk in to the open area of the room and the bathroom (with a normal door way) is elsewhere. I’ve been able to find similar layouts in other cities but not NYC.

Thanks.

4 hours ago, DMICS said:

Looking for any updated suggestions. Mainly Chelsea or Hell’s Kitchen. .. no check-in or guest sign-in, I want visitors to come and go discreetly as they please (I’ll still call in advance before booking to ask the general protocol on the subject). ..One other thing I wanted to ask, is there a site for hotels that gives a map layout of the rooms...

... I absolutely despise hotels where the bathroom is right next to your hotel room’s entrance when you walk in...

😄

58crpz.jpg

Edited by Unicorn

5 hours ago, DMICS said:

The reason I ask is I absolutely despise hotels where the bathroom is right next to your hotel room’s entrance when you walk in. When I enter my room I like to walk in to the open area of the room and the bathroom (with a normal door way) is elsewhere. I’ve been able to find similar layouts in other cities but not NYC.

NYC has strict handicap accessibility laws. So yeah...the bathroom is usually in the entryway with a huge door. Easiest way to meet the wheelchair standards.

Edited by pubic_assistance
grammar

Well, my place uptown is available if I can hit the record button before leaving :D

I don’t think it’s technically Chelsea but I remember meeting a visiting provider in a hotel near penn station and the bathroom was not by the entry. You could also try midtown East . 

4 hours ago, nycman said:

Ummm…the Jefferson’s lived at 185 East 85th Street….that’s NOT Midtown. 

It’s so cute when outsiders try to be one of us….grin 

Dude, the East side of Manhattan Midtown is north (and east) of Chelsea. So Midtown East is uptown of Chelsea.... 🙄 Any fool could understand that I was referring to the poster moving up, not specifically to the Jeffersons.

200w.webp?cid=ecf05e47rpq02pt9nwi3xhxue6

Edited by Unicorn

3 hours ago, SouthOfTheBorder said:

you'd get the same response from Angelenos if you described Hollywood as west LA

native or not - it's not complicated 

Sorry, you can't bullshit me. The neighborhood "West Los Angeles" (capital "W") is a specific place, as is the Upper East Side. To say you're going uptown, however, just means you're going north when in Manhattan, and downtown means further south. I'm sure you've taken the subway, and know fully well that if you're in Washington Heights going towards Inwood or the Cloisters, you'll take an uptown train, although you're quite a bit north of the Upper East Side. Likewise, I was once at the Columbia Medical School, and they refer to the main campus, in Morningside Heights, as "the downtown campus" although it's also north (or uptown) from the Upper East Side. 

My brother lived for several years in a condo near 61st and Lexington. He told me "the hardest part of living on the east side is getting to the Newark Airport, because you have to cross Manhattan, and deal with the awful crosstown traffic." (United doesn't have any flights out of JFK, or at least they didn't at the time, and he's got Global Services with them) I'd wager that almost all New Yorkers understand that going uptown doesn't mean you're going to the Upper East Side. Likewise, if a Los Angelino in downtown LA were to say "I'm moving further west," he could very well mean Hollywood, but if he says he's "moving to West LA," that refers to a specific place.

I feel another song coming on...

Edited by Unicorn

5 hours ago, Unicorn said:

The neighborhood "West Los Angeles" (capital "W") is a specific place, as is the Upper East Side.

no - and yes

West LA (not to be confused with Westside Los Angeles) is nebulous & vague, depending on who you ask - you’ll get very different answers. Most won’t know the difference between West & Westside; Angelenos tend to be geographically challenged except when it involves a freeway 

Upper East Side is understood as bounded by 59th St, 96th, East River & Central Park - it is specific & exact 

• 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Quincy_7 said:

The Holiday Inn Express on Water Street does not require keycards for the elevator. The problem, however, is that it's very dated. 

Santa Monica Lacks Safety for Visitors: Businesses Ask City for Help |  Circling The News

4 hours ago, CuriousByNature said:

Is that actually a photo of the hotel elevator?

No--just a caution to an excessive lack of privacy in hotel elevators in Manhattan. 

Wow, I just realized now that the (in)famous Liberty Inn on 14th St and 10th Ave is permanently closed!

I went there twice years ago, it was quite seedy but it served the purpose.

good-night-and-thank-you.png
LIBERTYINNNYC.COM

After 54 years, The Liberty Inn will be closing its doors on February 26, 2023. Since first opening in 1969, our...