Oh, for the love of Cod!

samhexum

Eating just one portion of freshwater fish — such as trout or carp — could expose people to potentially toxic chemical compounds, according to a new study.

The findings, which were published by Environmental Research, revealed that eating even a single serving of freshwater fish per year could be equal to one month of drinking water laced with high levels of perfluoroalkyl substances, also known as PFAS, that can be harmful to one’s health.

Very low doses of PFAS in drinking water have been linked to suppression of the immune system, including reduced vaccine efficacy, and an increased risk of certain cancers. They are also linked with increased cholesterol and reproductive problems, among others.

“People who consume freshwater fish, especially those who catch and eat fish regularly, are at risk of alarming levels of PFAS in their bodies,” said Dr. David Andrews, who led the study, according to South West News Services.

These PFAS are made up of a group of more than 9,000 different chemicals — some of which are already banned or highly restricted — that can be found in non-stick cookware and food packaging. The chemicals don’t break down in the environment, therefore they build up in our bodies.

“PFAS do not disappear when products are thrown or flushed away,” said Dr. Tasha Stoiber, the study’s co-author. “Our research shows that the most common disposal methods may end up leading to further environmental pollution.”

To perform the study, scientists analyzed data from over 500 samples of fish filets collected in the United States over a two-year period, from 2013 to 2015. They also found that PFA levels were higher in fish in the Great Lakes as well as those fish caught in urban areas.

Researchers discovered high levels of so-called “forever chemicals” in fish caught in lakes and rivers. The forever chemical found at greatest concentrations in freshwater fish was PFOS, or sulfonic acid, averaging roughly three in four of total PFAS detections.

The research found that median amounts of PFAS in freshwater fish in the US were an astonishing 280 times greater than forever chemicals detected in some commercially caught and sold fish.

They estimate that there may be more than 40,000 industrial polluters of PFAS in the United States, including manufacturing facilities, municipal landfills, wastewater treatment plants and airports. The contamination of water has spread PFAS to soil, crops and wildlife, including fish.

“The extent that PFAS has contaminated fish is staggering,” said Nadia Barbo, the project’s lead researcher. “There should be a single health protective fish consumption advisory for freshwater fish across the country.”

https://nypost.com/2023/01/17/eating-freshwater-fish-may-expose-people-to-toxic-chemicals-study/

Every other week we're told something different about what's healthy to eat.  Now we have to know the fish's backstory to know if it's healthy to eat?  What's a buff, health-conscious simpleton like me supposed to do?

Edited by samhexum
for shits and giggles

PFA’s… the forever Chemical: (never breaks down)~ Apparently the military was notorious for just dumping that stuff in the environment and various states have higher contamination rates~ Michigan seems to be particularly contaminated~ 

it’s not just water… it’s in flame resistant fabrics, clothing, daily things in your house… basically things that are water repellent and fire safe… (rugs, carpets, toothbrushes, cookware, rain jackets, etc…)~

(also a high creep factor chemical: Round Up and it’s link to Non Hodgkins Lymphoma).

http://www.ewg.org/interactive-maps/pfas_contamination/map/

https://www.epa.gov/sdwa/drinking-water-health-advisories-pfoa-and-pfos

https://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/pfas/health-effects/exposure.html

https://www.insider.com/how-to-avoid-household-products-that-contain-toxic-pfas-chemicals-2021-7?amp

19 hours ago, samhexum said:

...What's a buff, health-conscious simpleton like me supposed to do?

image.png.4b75f1e1c9fd9879eba7545808fbd106.png

Firstly, eat more food from the sea (like cod). Secondly, stop getting your health information from the New York Post.

3 hours ago, FreshFluff said:

I eat only flaky white fish, especially cod, sole, and Chilean sea bass. Trout tastes too fishy, even for me. 😉

Who doesn't like flaky white fish? 😁

Bad dandruff: Treatments, causes and cures you need to know

On 1/25/2023 at 7:10 PM, Charlie said:

I love fish and other kinds of seafood, except escargots and eels.

Bon Appetit!

'Massive' American eel found on Gulf Coast of Texas: 'Nightmare time'

A 4-foot long American eel — about as large as the endangered species can grow — was found washed up on the Gulf Coast of Texas.

A man holds the entire length of a 4 foot-long eel.

An up-close pictured of the head of the eel with its mouth open.

On 1/18/2023 at 8:15 PM, Marc in Calif said:

In Spain in the spring of 2022, I ate cod several times a week. It was deliciously prepared in so many ways around the country. 

When I go back this year in April-May, I'll definitely be looking for new cod dishes to try. It's what the locals eat!

Did you eat any salted cod? The Spanish have been fishing cod off the coast of Newfoundland since before Columbus. The cod moratorium has severely restricted that activity in recent decades though as the cod disappeared.

The fresh cod is all I have ever eaten but I have seen programs on how the Spanish (and Portugese) dried and salted their catch of cod before the days of refrigeration. This was done on the banks of Newfoundland during the fishing season and they returned to home with the preserved fish in the holds of the ships. 

Their cooks then reconstituted the fish by hydrating it and then cooking it. I understand it didn't have much of a salty taste as other sauces were used to cook it.  

On 1/25/2023 at 4:10 PM, Charlie said:

I love fish and other kinds of seafood, except escargots and eels.

I guess I should find someone else to gift this Majolicaware... 😉

c09af9007952075c955579d8f2762db1.jpg

Snail Majolica - Etsy

I think I once mentioned on this site, in some other context, that on my first trip to Paris as a young man, a sophisticated older friend took me to dinner at a fashionable Vietnamese restaurant, where I was served something I didn't recognize. When I inquired what it was, I was was told that it was perfumed eel soup. I almost excused myself to barf.

I have sensitivity to enough foods already. I can eliminate x, y and z and live longer? A tricky balance, no?
Enjoyment of food is part of my quality of life,  as it is with many others. At my age, I’m giving a bit more grace to the quality over the quantity. Pass the tartar sauce. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/29/2023 at 8:27 PM, Charlie said:

I think I once mentioned on this site, in some other context, that on my first trip to Paris as a young man, a sophisticated older friend took me to dinner at a fashionable Vietnamese restaurant, where I was served something I didn't recognize. When I inquired what it was, I was was told that it was perfumed eel soup. I almost excused myself to barf.

My husband and I were having dinner in a restaurant in Sorrento. The owner treated us to a whole squid topped with a red sauce.  My husband couldn’t eat it-it grossed him out.  I said “We can’t not eat it-he gave it to us.”  So I ate the whole thing.  I didn’t care for the tentacles, but the rest was ok.