Keep that FILTH out of our public institutions!

samhexum

Actor and Christian activist Kirk Cameron is claiming that more than 50 public libraries have rejected his applications to hold a “story hour” to promote his new faith-based children’s book, accusing them of indulging the “woke left.”

The “Growing Pains” star says he hasn’t been given a story hour slot in public libraries, claiming that his publisher, Brave Books, has been told the messaging of his faith-based book, “As You Grow,” “does not align” with the LGBTQ-welcoming institutions.

Dozens of public libraries in the US have reportedly rejected or not responded to his publisher’s request for the former child star to hold an event.

“We are a very queer-friendly library. Our messaging does not align,” one library worker from Rochambeau Public Library in Providence, Rhode Island — which promotes an event called the “Queer Umbrella” — reportedly told Brave Books.

Cameron, 52, has previously condemned gay people, saying that homosexuality is “unnatural,” “detrimental” and “ultimately destructive.”

https://nypost.com/2022/12/07/kirk-camerons-religious-story-hour-shot-down-by-public-libraries-not-interested/

Maybe his sister's pious network will give him air time at 3AM.

2 hours ago, Todd Jenkins said:

But, it's TOTES OK for DRAG QUEEN STORY TIME, HUH!? RIDICULOUS!!!!

It's not how you say it; it's what you say. Do the drag queens promote hate and intolerance? In other news, libraries have turned down Ye's readings of Mein Kampf... 😉 Maybe Ye and Kirk Cameron should meet if they haven't already. 

8 hours ago, Unicorn said:

It's not how you say it; it's what you say. Do the drag queens promote hate and intolerance? In other news, libraries have turned down Ye's readings of Mein Kampf... 😉 Maybe Ye and Kirk Cameron should meet if they haven't already. 

Why would you think Kirk and Ye have already met

8 hours ago, Unicorn said:

So, it's ok for drag queens – who are inherently sexual in performance – to read stories to children? 

12 hours ago, mike carey said:

A person in dress-up is not inherently sexual.

So, you've never been to a drag show then?

THEY ARE DEFINITELY SEXUAL! If they weren't, nobody would have a problem with it. I am a gay man, I have seen MANY drag shows. If they were CLEAN SHOWS, it would be fine. But, they aren't. YOU know it. I know it. EVERYONE knows it. Stop acting like this isn't a problem - IT IS!

Just to be clear.  A drag queen doing a reading is not actually performing her stage act.  So long as that is the case, she really is just a man dressed up like a woman.  In general, children are probably more accepting of that than adults as they rely much more on what they see and a lot less on what the want and do not want to see.  

Mr. Cameron would likely have more success getting readings at Liberty College and religious schools at all levels.  As they say, they rob banks cause that is where the money it.  

How likely would you be to see a Drag Queen story hour at such an institution do you suppose.  

Edited by purplekow

2 hours ago, Todd Jenkins said:

1 hour ago, purplekow said:

Just to be clear.  A drag queen doing a reading is not actually performing her stage act.

Yes, I have been to a drag show. The one I most remember was called 'Let's Talk About Sex' and started with 'Fetish of the Day'. Of course that was sexual, that was the whole point of that performance.

I have also seen a drag performer, Courtney Act, on a panel discussion show and be the host on a mainstream interview program. Neither of those situations was a 'drag show act'. She was a normal panelist or interviewer who happened to be able to talk about the lived experience of having seen the difference between how she was treated when presenting as male and when presenting as female. Unsurprisingly she had opinions on a range of social, cultural and other matters, as most gay men do. Drag performers can and do perform sexually explicit stage shows, but it is what they say and do that makes the shows sexual not what they are wearing. Story time is one of the times where the story-teller is simply a person in a dress, if clothed somewhat more flamboyantly than the average person so attired.

6 hours ago, Todd Jenkins said:

THEY ARE DEFINITELY SEXUAL! If they weren't, nobody would have a problem with it. I am a gay man, I have seen MANY drag shows. If they were CLEAN SHOWS, it would be fine. But, they aren't. YOU know it. I know it. EVERYONE knows it. Stop acting like this isn't a problem - IT IS!

Are you serious? Do you think that a drag queen would go to a school to read a book to children touching herself and the children and being sexual like during a show?...🤔🙄

I thought the whole point of drag performance was being IN-appropriate? 

I definitely agree. I wouldn't mix elementary school aged  children with a drag performer. 

I remember being horrified that Mario Cantone used to have a children's TV show.The humor seemed to be him getting away with inappropriate comedy in front of children because they were too young to understand the sexual overtones...and he wasn't even in a dress. Just administering the same sassy humor.

As a parent it's my decision on how and when to expose my children to the messiness of humanity. 

Look at Milton Byrle in drag.  It is funny, considered family entertainment, and anything BUT sexy.

There are plenty of men in suits and women in dresses who have a filthy mouth.

The costume has been the focus by everyone protesting, ignoring the actual story reading itself.   Let's remember "Don't judge a book by its cover"

1. MILTON BERLE in drag is a FAR CRY from whatever the F this is in the pic. 

2. MOST drag queen PERFORMANCES are inappropriate and lewd. If you have been to a performance, YOU KNOW THIS so stop acting like I am making this up - you all know it's true. THESE performances don't belong ANYWHERE near kids! Drag that is appropriate is 100% totally fine. The problem is, that's very few performances / performers. 

227260.jpeg

5 hours ago, pubic_assistance said:

I thought the whole point of drag performance was being IN-appropriate? ...

As a parent it's my decision on how and when to expose my children to the messiness of humanity. 

Not all drag performances hinge on being inappropriate, but, that being said, a book reading is NOT a drag performance. I doubt these queens go around trying to get tips from the children. I have no problem with your last sentence, as long as you realize that it's also not your decision as a parent to decide for other parents regarding how they want to raise their children. 

Drag Performance = Clowning

Everything is exaggerated, larger than life. The nature of each clown is different, in appearance, but also seen through use of the specific tricks, movements, vocalizations they use to connect with the audience in front of them. If the common bond in the audience is sexuality, of course a clown will use sexual humor to connect.

They know the difference between doing their own “script” for an audience of adult gay men, and (while wearing the same costume) working with a script written by another, in a venue with kids as their audience, fully accepting of a different reaction from the new audience. 

Some people here are afraid of laughing alongside a clown.

15 hours ago, Todd Jenkins said:

I’ve been to literally hundreds of drag shows. The vast majority are not.  It’s based on the time and audience. If it’s a late night show, it’s likely more adult orientated. If it’s brunch, generally not.  

I’ve been to drag shows where there have been dozens of children there who all had a great time and there was NOTHING inappropriate about it. (In fact, the crowd was more inappropriate than the queens.) 

Rule 101 of ANY show (drag or not) is know your audience. 

2 minutes ago, RadioRob said:

Rule 101 of ANY show (drag or not) is know your audience. 

MOST drag shows are at night and MOST are VERY inappropriate, sexual and grotesque - and a TON of fun. 

3 minutes ago, RadioRob said:

I’ve been to literally hundreds of drag shows. The vast majority are not.  It’s based on the time and audience. If it’s a late night show, it’s likely more adult orientated. If it’s brunch, generally not.  

BRUNCHES are absolutely inappropriate. Not sure where you live but the VAST MAJORITY of brunches I have ever seen are sexual/inappropriate.

1 hour ago, Unicorn said:

I have no problem with your last sentence, as long as you realize that it's also not your decision as a parent to decide for other parents regarding how they want to raise their children. 

Obviously.
Unfortunately elementary schools don't break kids up into groups according to which parents agree on subjects. So best to stick to things like Math, Spelling, and Music where you don't have parents protesting.

30 minutes ago, samhexum said:

Boy, has this thread gone off track...  it was supposed to be about good people trying to keep Mr. Cameron from spreading his poisonous vitriol to kiddies.

This is an OPINION. I am a gay man. I am also a Christian. The biblical values Mr. Cameron leads his life by SHOULD NOT stop him from reading a book in a library.