Nytimes article about : some incidents in NYC L.G.B.T.Q. community

c4men

Thx for sharing. It reminded me of a similar article from the NYPost from a month ago:

https://nypost.com/2022/11/11/roofie-robber-2-killed-in-drugging-attacks-on-gay-men/

Similar to Luv2play, I don't really go out to gay bars nowadays. I live in NYC and the only times I've gone out to gay bars here is when a friend is visiting and wants to check out Stonewall or a piano bar in the city.

They seem to be targeting younger gay men who have $$$. Be careful and always watch your cocktail.

What a different world we live in now compared to when I was young. Picking up guys at bars was a way of life and filling in the time when you didn't have a steady boyfriend.

Living in Canada and Europe during my youthful days, I never felt in much danger altho I did exercise judgment and wasn't into drugs.

Interestingly the only time I picked up someone who turned into a scary experience at his place was in New York in the 1980's. That was on a visit.

After I retired at 50  and was spending the winters in Miami most of the action was in the bars especially the Black Eagle in Ftl. What a place!

1 hour ago, Charlie said:

I grew up thinking that gay bars were the safest places to find someone to go home with. What a different world it's become.

Yeah me too. But did you ever see the movie "Looking for Mr. Goodbar" with Diane Keaton?. It was from that era when we gays were all hooking up with cute guys we picked up at the gay bars. 

Her story, based on a real case, was a cautionary tale. I remember the theme song by Thelma Houston, "Don't treat me this way".

16 minutes ago, Luv2play said:

Yeah me too. But did you ever see the movie "Looking for Mr. Goodbar" with Diane Keaton?. It was from that era when we gays were all hooking up with cute guys we picked up at the gay bars. 

Her story, based on a real case, was a cautionary tale. I remember the theme song by Thelma Houston, "Don't treat me this way".

Yes, I did see that movie. I still thought the bars were safer than the streets as a place to pick up guys.

It’s sad that lgbt places are no longer safe places. 20 years ago no straight would be caught dead in one. Now with all the normalization and equality syndrome, plus the economic dislocation, lonely gay men are easy targets. Exercise caution. Stranger danger. Yet one must live!!! 

Actually this is not that recent a phenomenon.

I think it was 15 years ago that I learned that a major airline had a 24/7 crisis line for its staff who got into any such trouble. An executive of the airline surprised me by saying that a great number of incidents occurred in the US (Chicago was a particular hotspot) and that the majority of callers (victims of these assaults) were men. 

I don't know whether cruising in bars is less safe now.  There certainly have been risks in any era, though I'm sure that the vast majority of the time guys have just enjoyed their hookups without anything untoward happening.  Back in the mid-1970s in San Francisco, there was a serial killer dubbed The Doodler who found his victims in gay bars.  He earned his moniker because he would sketch his victims and present his drawings to them as part of his come-on.

I remember back in the 90s and 00s in Atlanta there were multiple awareness campaigns warning about roofie attacks, often with GHB.  There were stories about guys who were robbed or sexually assaulted, and the admonishments to watch your drinks when going out.  There was always an element of risk when going out. 

Still, this report is scary because it seems the perpetrators are using more deadly drugs and don't care if they kill their victims in the process. I hope they catch them quickly.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/5/2022 at 6:56 PM, Luv2play said:

Me too. I rarely took anyone home that I met in the parks except a couple, one who I recognized as an actor who went on to become a huge star on a Hollywood TV series in the '80s.

I went home with someone who I met in West Side Park in Manhattan. I didnt recognize him but I did recognize his famous parents who's photos were all over the apartment. I found that very kinky that he was bringing back tricks while his parents were away. Later he went on to be a big Hollywood star ( now married with kids ) so I won't OUT him here...I think that's tacky.

Edited by pubic_assistance
spelling

This kind of attacks where the victim is drugged is currently an international trend. Indeed, we must be careful.

That said, I think you all are over reacting. You are forgetting all the threats we used to have in the past and overblowing this current one. I doubt gay bars are more dangerous now than before. Perhaps we are more fearful.