I finally got COVID

FreshFluff

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Lucky said:

90% of new Covid deaths are with people over 65 years old.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2022/11/28/covid-who-is-dying/

I don' t understand why people aren't more alarmed than they are about this newest surge.  In the last two weeks, 7-8 people I know well have come down with COVID, more than I knew about through all of  2020-2021.  I'm being ultra-cautious since I'm taking two immuno-suppressive drugs.

2 hours ago, Lucky said:

From cdc.gov:

Up to 90% of flu deaths are with people over 65 years old (varies 70%-90% annually)

88% of pneumonia deaths are with people over 70 years old.

82% of Heart Disease deaths are with people over 65 years old.

74% of all deaths are with people over 65 years old.

70% of Cancer deaths are with people over 65 years old.

Men over 65 face the highest suicide rate.  2nd highest suicide rate is people over 85 (both genders).

Drivers over age 70 have higher rates of death in car crashes per crash.

Conclusion: We're better off dying before age 65.  It's too dangerous otherwise.

Edited by Vegas_nw1982

1 hour ago, Rudynate said:

I don' t understand why people aren't more alarmed than they are about this newest surge.  In the last two weeks, 7-8 people I know well have come down with COVID, more than I knew about through all of  2020-2021.  I'm being ultra-cautious since I'm taking two immuno-suppressive drugs.

We’re they repeat infections? If so, do you know when they were last infected?

50 minutes ago, FreshFluff said:

We’re they repeat infections? If so, do you know when they were last infected?

As far as I know, none of them has been infected before.  One of them is an elementary school teacher - her getting infected was probably nearly inevitable.  Unfortunately, she infected her 8 month old daughter.  The little girl is doing well, but her mom is pretty sick.

2 hours ago, Vegas_nw1982 said:

From cdc.gov:

Up to 90% of flu deaths are with people over 65 years old (varies 70%-90% annually)

88% of pneumonia deaths are with people over 70 years old.

82% of Heart Disease deaths are with people over 65 years old.

74% of all deaths are with people over 65 years old.

70% of Cancer deaths are with people over 65 years old.

Men over 65 face the highest suicide rate.  2nd highest suicide rate is people over 85 (both genders).

Drivers over age 70 have higher rates of death in car crashes per crash.

Conclusion: We're better off dying before age 65.  It's too dangerous otherwise.

It's also best to move house since most car accidents tend to happen within 2 miles of home... 😉

23 hours ago, Lucky said:

The situation is not any worse for people older than 65 than it was 2 years ago, it just got a lot better for people under 65.  The significant drop in deaths for people under 65 has increased the share of deaths over 65, but not the total number of deaths for that age group.

Edited by Vegas_nw1982
Grammar

20 hours ago, Rudynate said:

Surge? I see cases up 6% nationally over the last two weeks from a very low base. Tough to call that a "surge".

11 minutes ago, Toddbb said:

Surge? I see cases up 6% nationally over the last two weeks from a very low base. Tough to call that a "surge".

I agree with you and disagree.  Yes, it is too early to officially be called  a surge.  Nonetheless what is happening on the ground certainly looks like a surge.  "If it looks like a duck . . ."

43 minutes ago, Rudynate said:

I agree with you and disagree.  Yes, it is too early to officially be called  a surge.  Nonetheless what is happening on the ground certainly looks like a surge.  "If it looks like a duck . . ."

Maybe you’d be more comfortable calling it a “spike.”

On 11/29/2022 at 1:49 PM, Rudynate said:

Maybe you’d be more comfortable calling it a “spike.”

On 11/29/2022 at 9:17 PM, Rudynate said:

Oh Unicorn, Unicorn - the sound of your dismissiveness is deafening.

These are what public health officials would call spikes or surges:

Coronavirus Briefing: Record-breaking cases - The New York Times

Any person who calls a 6% increase a spike or surge can be doing only one of two things: (1) being intentionally misleading, or (2) displaying ignorance of the meanings of the terms spike or surge. I apologize for not sugar-coating it, but that's just the way it is. 

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Vulgarii said:

I got covid in January and I deduced that I got it from a client who told me he had it the week prior.

So I got covid again last week, and it pretty much lasted 2 days but I coincidentally heard from this random client again, and I took his appointment and saw him, and probably returned the favor. :)

So, you're hoping you infected a client with a disease?

On 9/8/2022 at 11:42 AM, FreshFluff said:

It turns out that rest is really important for preventing long COVID. I have a headache but I’ve been restless, so I walking around a lot. I’ll try to sit more. 

Where is this "long covid" coming from? Is there long influenza/long flu? Something's obviously up. 

7 hours ago, Pensant said:

I’m one of the outliers who hasn’t contracted Covid, and I’m far from a hermit.

Unless you've had a specific blood test for the n-antibody of the virus, you don't know. Most infections since late January 2022 have been asymptomatic, so most are unaware. There is a study conducted by the Harvard School of Public Health which was submitted for publication about a month ago, which showed that 19 out of 20 US adults had shown signs of prior infection as of October 2022. If you've been out and about, it's highly unlikely you did NOT contract the virus. I've never tested positive, but I can't imagine I haven't contracted it. My niece told me that she tested positive the day after our 8-person Thanksgiving get-together. Her only symptom was about 4 hours of headache (which may, in fact, have been unrelated). No one else got symptoms, including my 92 year-old step-mother. 

5 hours ago, Unicorn said:

Unless you've had a specific blood test for the n-antibody of the virus, you don't know. Most infections since late January 2022 have been asymptomatic, so most are unaware. There is a study conducted by the Harvard School of Public Health which was submitted for publication about a month ago, which showed that 19 out of 20 US adults had shown signs of prior infection as of October 2022. If you've been out and about, it's highly unlikely you did NOT contract the virus. I've never tested positive, but I can't imagine I haven't contracted it. My niece told me that she tested positive the day after our 8-person Thanksgiving get-together. Her only symptom was about 4 hours of headache (which may, in fact, have been unrelated). No one else got symptoms, including my 92 year-old step-mother. 

Oh, I totally get that. It’s certainly possible, even certain, that I’ve had an asymptotic infection.