I finally got COVID

FreshFluff

7 hours ago, Unicorn said:

Unless you've had a specific blood test for the n-antibody of the virus, you don't know. Most infections since late January 2022.

Yup confirmed recently with my Immunology expert, friend.

I am guilty of misunderstanding in the past  ( Which I assume is most people ). That unlike other conditions; "testing negative" doesn't mean you've NEVER come in contact...just not recently. No one is my household has tested positive. Very few of my friends have tested positive. I thought this meant we all escaped the pandemic....but apparently that isn't necessarily the case.

Edited by pubic_assistance
grammar

20 hours ago, Unicorn said:

Unless you've had a specific blood test for the n-antibody of the virus, you don't know. Most infections since late January 2022 have been asymptomatic, so most are unaware. There is a study conducted by the Harvard School of Public Health which was submitted for publication about a month ago, which showed that 19 out of 20 US adults had shown signs of prior infection as of October 2022. If you've been out and about, it's highly unlikely you did NOT contract the virus. I've never tested positive, but I can't imagine I haven't contracted it. My niece told me that she tested positive the day after our 8-person Thanksgiving get-together. Her only symptom was about 4 hours of headache (which may, in fact, have been unrelated). No one else got symptoms, including my 92 year-old step-mother. 

I did have that specific test at the end of 2020, because I wondered if I had had an asymptomatic infection during the year, but I tested negative for the antibody. However, although I have tested negative several times in the two years since then after symptoms that were suspicious, I wonder if it would be worthwhile having the n-antibody test again.

1 hour ago, Charlie said:

I did have that specific test at the end of 2020, because I wondered if I had had an asymptomatic infection during the year, but I tested negative for the antibody. However, although I have tested negative several times in the two years since then after symptoms that were suspicious, I wonder if it would be worthwhile having the n-antibody test again.

I can't think of any actionable information the test would provide, especially if you've been vaccinated. Of course, if you haven't been vaccinated (and I'm sure you have), the regular antibody test would do. Of course, the vaccine was once perhaps the most important vaccine to get that was ever developed, to one of the least important vaccines to get. There are a few viruses which were more virulent (severe in symptoms, death rate) than than the original virus, such as rabies, Ebola, and Marburg, but those are either far more rare, without vaccines, or both, and none so contagious. At its current degree of virulence, the vaccine is nice to have, but not getting the omicron update is a reasonable choice if one isn't severely ill. Did insurance pay for the n-antibody test? I'd be surprised if it did. 

2 hours ago, Unicorn said:

I can't think of any actionable information the test would provide, especially if you've been vaccinated. Of course, if you haven't been vaccinated (and I'm sure you have), the regular antibody test would do. Of course, the vaccine was once perhaps the most important vaccine to get that was ever developed, to one of the least important vaccines to get. There are a few viruses which were more virulent (severe in symptoms, death rate) than than the original virus, such as rabies, Ebola, and Marburg, but those are either far more rare, without vaccines, or both, and none so contagious. At its current degree of virulence, the vaccine is nice to have, but not getting the omicron update is a reasonable choice if one isn't severely ill. Did insurance pay for the n-antibody test? I'd be surprised if it did. 

I keep getting viral infection symptoms (sneezing, congestion, constipation and diarrhea, lightheadedness, etc.--no fever), but the COVID test is always negative when I am experiencing them. I got the antibody test at the end of the first year of the pandemic, before vaccination was available, and I have had the original vaccine in 2021 and both boosters, and never had any noticeable reaction to any of them. I don't remember if insurance paid for the test in 2020, which my doctor had recommended.

If you didn't get antibodies on the regular antibody test (not the n-protein antibody, which is a send-out and a very expensive test, I'd guess), then it means the vaccine didn't work for you, perhaps due to medications you're taking or underlying health problems. 

• 2 weeks later...

I was in Spain recently, and was surprised to hear from a Doctor and two pharmacists that PlaxO is only available once you are hospitalized, the urban pharmacies actually don't have the medication, only the hospitals pharmacies do.  This makes no sense to me.  Why wait?

On 12/20/2022 at 2:04 PM, Unicorn said:

If you didn't get antibodies on the regular antibody test (not the n-protein antibody, which is a send-out and a very expensive test, I'd guess), then it means the vaccine didn't work for you, perhaps due to medications you're taking or underlying health problems. 

It was a send-out test; I don't know how much it cost. But I took it a few months before I was vaccinated for the first time.

15 hours ago, Charlie said:

It was a send-out test; I don't know how much it cost. But I took it a few months before I was vaccinated for the first time.

Yes, not having received the vaccination would explain why the vaccine didn't take... 😉

17 hours ago, Rod Hagen said:

I was in Spain recently, and was surprised to hear from a Doctor and two pharmacists that PlaxO is only available once you are hospitalized, the urban pharmacies actually don't have the medication, only the hospitals pharmacies do.  This makes no sense to me.  Why wait?

If by PlaxO you mean paxlovid, the medication is indicated to be given ASAP after onset of symptoms or exposure in vulnerable populations. Once a person is sick enough to be in the hospital, it's contra-indicated; other medications are indicated. If paxlovid is unavailable to outpatients in Spain, it's just an absurdity. 

6 hours ago, Unicorn said:

If by PlaxO you mean paxlovid, the medication is indicated to be given ASAP after onset of symptoms or exposure in vulnerable populations. Once a person is sick enough to be in the hospital, it's contra-indicated; other medications are indicated. If paxlovid is unavailable to outpatients in Spain, it's just an absurdity. 

Again, according to the two Spain pharmacists and the Spain Doctor I spoke with over Telemedicine while in Spain, yes Paxlovid is unavailable to outpatients in Spain.  As I said, it makes no sense to me.

Edited by Rod Hagen

7 hours ago, Luv2play said:

I haven't seen any evidence that Paxlovid offers better outcomes than being properly vaccinated including all the latest boosters. I recognize it's not an either or but is there data now available about how many lives Paxlovid is saving? 

The data on Paxlovid comes from studies/data which were gathered before the omicron strain. The link was provided in prior strings, but they showed a 90% decrease in hospitalizations and deaths in at risk groups (over 60 or immunocompromised). The medication clearly works on the current strain (makes the infected undetectable for the 5 days they're taking it), but you're right that the rate of hospitalization and death is practically zero for immunized people with the current strain, so the net benefit is small. 

Whatever symptoms one might expect, they'd be all that much lighter, however. Given the mildness of the current strain in the vaccinated, I personally would only take Paxlovid if I had to be sure I'd test negative for the virus, for some reason, at a given date. The last time she was exposed (at Thanksgiving), my 92 year-old step-mother declined taking the Paxlovid. My 62 year-old sister, who's taking immune-suppressing meds, took it after her exposure, and ended up have symptoms for about 3 days after the 5-day course of meds was over. 

Edited by Unicorn

• 1 month later...

I finally came down with covid Jan 20 and two tests that day confirmed it. My doctor immediately put me on Paxlovid for the dose period and I used Sudafed and Mucinex tabs for symptoms. The next day my former neighbor died of a blood clot at age 65 while in his first week of covid and on Paxlovid. Then the next day my cousin my age died of a blood clot one month after having covid. I messaged my doctor and asked about a clot I had a year and a half ago and she assured me there should be no connection. The next morning she uregently texted me that she had spoken to the Kaiser hematologist and been made aware there was a brand new regimen:

"" The hematologist reviewed your chart and said that recent expert recommendations for blood clot prevention in patients at higher risk include use of Lovenox 40 mg sq injection once daily for 2 weeks. You were previously on a higher therapeutic dose of this when you had the pulmonary embolus so I believe you know how to administer (injected under the skin on abdomen) I have called prescription in to pharmacy.""

This seems to be a new regimen many people who had covid and had any clot history or risk should follow. I wish my ex neighbor and my cousin had the option and had been told and I let his lover who had covid at the death know as he had a clot history. He had to beg his doctor to take a baby aspirin during covid because of a prior clot. My doctor seems certain the Lovenox shots are critical prevention for anyone with covid and any clot history or risk. People may want to ask their doctors to check their files and covid/clot regimen updates. My copay for the 14 shots was only $12. Too many people are suddenly dying from clots after any covid, even months later it seems. 

Edited by tassojunior

I just spent 16 days in the hospital after getting Covid and pneumonia.....doctors said it was because my immune system was impaired due to chemo for lymphoma.  I was put on a 10 day IV regimen of remdesivir.  Feeling better now but it really kicks the shit out of you. I'm still weak and cannot go about my normal daily routine. And yes I was vaxxed and boosterd twice.

I am a long-time lurker here who just got covid on Sunday, Feb. 12.  I am posting my experience in case it helps anyone, and then I have a couple of questions that others may be able to answer.  At 11 PM on Sunday, I experienced a brief moment of chills that seemed odd because I felt fine all day.  I planned to go to work on Monday, and thought I'd play it safe by testing.  Sure enough, I had covid.  Since then, my symptoms have been very mild and similar to a weak cold with minor sinus congestion—no fever, no cough, body aches, etc. I can breathe very easily through my nose. I did lose my sense of smell yesterday.  My doctor did not put me on Paxlovid because my symptoms were mild and responding to OTC cold medications.  

Here are my questions: How much longer will I test positive?  Today is Day 5 (or six if you count Sunday as Day 1), and I am still positive.  The T line really screams! Question 2: Is the loss of smell due to covid or allergies/concurrent cold?  We have an early spring here in DC, and things are blooming.  My symptoms have more in common with allergies or a cold. Should I be concerned if my loss of smell goes beyond a couple of days?  

Thanks to all who respond, and good luck to those recovering.  My sympathies go out to those who have lost friends or loved ones due to covid. 

51 minutes ago, Pensant said:

As of today, I haven’t had Covid (that I know of). Reading these posts reminds us that it’s still among us. I’ve often wondered if I have a natural immunity.

that's  what I thought mid-January and got my answer. I'm wearing masks again in stores and buildings. Omicron's not much but all the meds and stomach shots were. 

Edited by tassojunior

1 hour ago, kajunboots said:

I am a long-time lurker here who just got covid on Sunday, Feb. 12.  I am posting my experience in case it helps anyone, and then I have a couple of questions that others may be able to answer.  At 11 PM on Sunday, I experienced a brief moment of chills that seemed odd because I felt fine all day.  I planned to go to work on Monday, and thought I'd play it safe by testing.  Sure enough, I had covid.  Since then, my symptoms have been very mild and similar to a weak cold with minor sinus congestion—no fever, no cough, body aches, etc. I can breathe very easily through my nose. I did lose my sense of smell yesterday.  My doctor did not put me on Paxlovid because my symptoms were mild and responding to OTC cold medications.  

Here are my questions: How much longer will I test positive?  Today is Day 5 (or six if you count Sunday as Day 1), and I am still positive.  The T line really screams! Question 2: Is the loss of smell due to covid or allergies/concurrent cold?  We have an early spring here in DC, and things are blooming.  My symptoms have more in common with allergies or a cold. Should I be concerned if my loss of smell goes beyond a couple of days?  

Thanks to all who respond, and good luck to those recovering.  My sympathies go out to those who have lost friends or loved ones due to covid. 

Welcome lurker. My symptoms were mild when I got Covid in July, so I did not take Paxlovid either. Took me 6 days to stop testing positive. Coffee tasted horrible for about a two week period but my sense or smell was not affected, just taste. Hope yo feel better soon. Definitely seek medical attention if you still test positive after 7 days. 

3 hours ago, kajunboots said:

I was alarmed because I was till testing positive after 14 days but on the 15th the first of many negatives came. I probably went out too soon after I felt good at 3 or 4 days and lengthened the symptoms. Sleep cures best and I found taking a Melatonin made me sleep an extra hour. I took a lot of Sudafed and Mucinex tablets with my doc's OK because I had a huge amount of nasal congestion  but she strongly advised Flonase nasal spray, which is normally seasonal allergy. Never had a fever or low oxygen but the Sudafed did make the heartrate go up some.. I did have chills/cold sweats some also but that actually was a good sign as it was my body fighting off the infection .After what my md said and reading on covid and deadly subsequent clots I'd recommend googling and asking  I lost my taste and smell for a short time (week?) ..and of course it started when I went to the grocery to stock up on good eats for the isolation.  

Edited by tassojunior

5 hours ago, kajunboots said:

I find it extremely shocking that your physician could be so ignorant on how to prescribe Paxlovid. Paxlovid needs to be given as soon as possible, when symptoms are mild. The decision on when to prescribe Paxlovid should be based solely on the individual's risk profile (the danger for harm if the disease progresses), not on their severity of symptoms. In fact, Paxlovid is NOT indicated for severe symptoms. At that point it's too late, and other treatments need to be considered. This medication should be started as early as possible, if the person is in a high-risk category (age over 60, lung disease, immune suppressants, diabetes, etc.). This virus is extremely common, and the treatment very simple. The only complicated part is that Paxlovid has many drug interactions, which in today's era of electronic prescribing, can be quickly identified. I'm horrified that your physician couldn't even be bothered to learn the more common of the two oral prescriptions used to protect the vulnerable from severe Covid-19 symptoms. It makes me wonder how he or she is getting the required Continued Medical Education credits. 

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/your-health/treatments-for-severe-illness.html

"The FDA has authorized antiviral medications to treat mild to moderate COVID-19 in people who are more likely to get very sick.

• Antiviral treatments target specific parts of the virus to stop it from multiplying in the body, helping to prevent severe illness and death.

The National Institutes of Health (NIH) provides COVID-19 Treatment Guidelines for healthcare providers to help them work with their patients and determine the best treatment options for them. Several options are available for treating COVID-19. They include:

Treatment

Who

When

How

Adults; children ages 12 years and older

Start as soon as possible; must begin within 5 days of when symptoms start

Taken at home by mouth (orally)"

Edited by Unicorn

5 hours ago, kajunboots said:

...Here are my questions: How much longer will I test positive?  Today is Day 5 (or six if you count Sunday as Day 1), and I am still positive.  The T line really screams! Question 2: Is the loss of smell due to covid or allergies/concurrent cold?  We have an early spring here in DC, and things are blooming.  My symptoms have more in common with allergies or a cold. Should I be concerned if my loss of smell goes beyond a couple of days?...

You may test positive for weeks after your illness (especially if you test with PCR). This does not mean you're contagious during that time, and there is no reason to continue testing. CDC guidelines suggest that you can stop isolating 5 days after your symptoms start, unless you're not getting better. The loss of smell is quite specific to Covid-19, and rarely happens with allergies or with other colds, unless that's your usual pattern for seasonal allergies. It will probably come back within 2 weeks or so. 

https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2021/s1227-isolation-quarantine-guidance.html

If You Test Positive for COVID-19 (Isolate)

Everyone, regardless of vaccination status.

• Stay home for 5 days.
  • If you have no symptoms or your symptoms are resolving after 5 days, you can leave your house.

5 hours ago, Pensant said:

As of today, I haven’t had Covid (that I know of). Reading these posts reminds us that it’s still among us. I’ve often wondered if I have a natural immunity.

It's probably more prevalent than it ever was. However, most infections these days are asymptomatic. A study completed in October showed that at that time 95% of Americans had been exposed. This study was based on blood samples looking for antibodies to the n-protein of the virus, which is the only way to know for sure whether or not you've had prior exposure. The regular antibody test includes antibodies to the s-protein, which will come up whether you've been infected or vaccinated. Since the study was completed in October, I'd guess that the number's closer to 99% by now. 

Great news today that prior infection is very effective at preventing severe covid reinfections. Though less against Omicron. 

""Previous SARS-CoV-2 infection offered strong protection against severe disease from a subsequent reinfection, with little difference observed between strains, though prior Omicron BA.1 infections were less protective against another reinfection, according to a meta-analysis of 65 studies."""

https://www.medpagetoday.com/infectiousdisease/covid19/103165?xid=nl_mpt_DHE_2023-02-17&eun=g1786879d0r&utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Daily Headlines Evening 2023-02-17&utm_term=NL_Daily_DHE_dual-gmail-definition