Laundry Detergents

OCClient

• 1 month later...
On 5/7/2022 at 1:16 PM, OCClient said:

Laundry detergent makes my skin itch.   Has anyone found a good laundry detergent product for sensitive skin?

I use one of the mainstream detergent brands, their Free and Gentle option.   However, my skin still itches.

There is another brand with a Free and Clear option.   I'll try it  and see what happens.

However, I expect I'll get the same result from any of the mainstream brands at Target for example.

What other options are out there?    

Do 2 rinse cycles.  The new machines use very little water and can leave detergent on the clothes with only 1 rinse cycle.  I always use the 2 rinse cycle setting.

I haven't used Mrs Meyers' laundry detergent since SC Johnson bought the company that makes it, but I found it did not rinse very well. Even after a few rinse cycles there was still a residue. Seventh Generation is actually pretty good. 

12 hours ago, rvwnsd said:

I haven't used Mrs Meyers' laundry detergent since SC Johnson bought the company that makes it, but I found it did not rinse very well. Even after a few rinse cycles there was still a residue. Seventh Generation is actually pretty good. 

How did you detect there was residue?   I may try Seventh Generation.   

I've noticed sort of a musty-like smell since switching to Mrs. Meyer's detergent and dryer sheets.

As long as we're talking laundry, the other step in solid cleaning of clothing in the washer, as well as general washer hygiene, it monthly hot water/bleach cycles (with no clothing in the drum).

If you haven't done this, you really should.  What's inside of your machine is probably pretty nasty.

You can also buy tablets, but good ol' fashioned bleach OR (not and) white vinegar work just as well.

1 hour ago, BenjaminNicholas said:

As long as we're talking laundry, the other step in solid cleaning of clothing in the washer, as well as general washer hygiene, it monthly hot water/bleach cycles (with no clothing in the drum).

If you haven't done this, you really should.  What's inside of your machine is probably pretty nasty.

You can also buy tablets, but good ol' fashioned bleach OR (not and) white vinegar work just as well.

I use 2 dishwasher pods on the hot cycle.

• 1 year later...
On 7/17/2022 at 5:30 PM, BenjaminNicholas said:

I always wondered about the washer and dishwasher as far as cleanliness.

On 5/7/2022 at 9:08 PM, Unicorn said:

Another recommendation:

All Liquid Laundry Detergent, Free Clear, 36 oz | Meijer

I have used this product as well as "Arm and Hammer".    I would agree that it is easy to "overuse"  detergents.    They tell you the bottle is used for "so many loads".   I guess it is left to us to measure that!  lol

When they removed phosphates from laundry/dishwashing detergents, they hurt what was a lot of the cleaning power of the products.

Thankfully, Amazon sells phosphate in bulk and you can just add a tablespoon to every load. 

It's huge how much of a difference it makes in the look, feel and smell of clean laundry/dishes.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B091579GHX?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

16 hours ago, BenjaminNicholas said:

When they removed phosphates from laundry/dishwashing detergents, they hurt what was a lot of the cleaning power of the products.

Thankfully, Amazon sells phosphate in bulk and you can just add a tablespoon to every load...

Just, please make sure that the wastewater in your area doesn't drain into a freshwater lake such as a Great Lake, Lake Tahoe, and so on. The reason phosphates were taken out was to prevent toxic algae blooms in such places. 

Edited by Unicorn

On 7/16/2022 at 10:09 AM, pubic_assistance said:

Typically itching from laundry detergent is a fragrance allergy. Same goes for those dryer sheets. I use Arm & Hammer unscented for this reason.

I really like Arm & Hammer,  glad it is getting some favorable airplay here.

My husband is allergic to sodium lauryl sulphate which is a foaming agent used in many personal care products including laundry and household cleaning products.  

So we discovered this company and use their products in our home.   We do find that he will have a minor breakout when we stay in a hotel and sleep on their sheets and use their towels. 

Here is a link to the laundry powder

https://modere.io/lTJPp4

The other advice re cleaning your washing machine is very valid - but there is another reason to do it also - running a hot cycle once a month is vital for the inside bits of the machine, the oils and lubricants in the motor need some heat once in a while to make all the working parts get lubricated and work well.

Hope this helps 

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/4/2023 at 12:26 PM, Unicorn said:

Just, please make sure that the wastewater in your area doesn't drain into a freshwater lake such as a Great Lake, Lake Tahoe, and so on. The reason phosphates were taken out was to prevent toxic algae blooms in such places. 

Or, make sure your city's water pollution control facility is meeting or exceeding the standards for phosphate removal, such as those in Nevada that drain to fresh water Lake Mead.

• 1 month later...

If you live in an area that has hard water, a water softener will help you use less detergent.  I use two tablespoons of sodium tripolyphosphate which softens water enough that in a full HE load, I use four instead of line five in measurements and there are plenty of suds.  Washing soda does the same thing, but you have to use more of it than the stp.  If your machine has a second rinse feature, I would use it as a rule.  Just keep in mind that if you use a rinse cycle fabric softener be sure that it is dispensed in the last rinse cycle, or it will go down the drain.

• 1 month later...