Help me plan a night in LA.

hwic04
This topic is 864 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I’m not at all familiar with the city or suburbs. I’ll be in town for one night, a Monday. I’ve already arranged for some companionship for an hour in the late afternoon. But would appreciate suggestions for dinner, drinks, perhaps some live music afterwards.

Looking for casual but somewhat upscale bar and restaurant suggestions within 15-20 minutes or so of LAX. Gay venues not required necessarily, but those with hot bartenders/eye candy wouldn’t hurt.

‘Thanks to any of you who can contribute an idea or two.

LA sprawl working against you for the short one-night spin, my friend. Live music: Monday is the least likely night to find much.

Broaden your search of personal recommendations for dining beyond asking gay friends - LAX neighboring communities will feature more chain restaurants, family-friendly, or small places that cater more to straight locals - nothing at all unsafe, but not as upscale as you are likely wanting based on your description.

You should plan a return visit of greater length, and stay either in Weho or Downtown LA which will put you closer to everything you want but the airport…

Enjoy the company of your hire, and ask him what he might recommend for food and drink. Assuming he’s coming to your hotel, he might be somewhat familiar with the current offerings nearby. 

I don’t understand @hwic04 why you’d stay near LAX unless you have a very early flight the next day.

I feel you’d have a much more enjoyable evening and overnight if you stayed in West Hollywood. There’s more to do there. And if you are flying out very early, the journey from a WeHo hotel to LAX will be pretty quick.

On 10/22/2021 at 6:49 PM, hwic04 said:

Staying near LAX. No car, but reasonable cab/Uber ride would be ok.

As others have stated/alluded to, you are staying in a remote wasteland where there's nothing much to do. The least distant places are Venice and Santa Monica. If you like people-watching, an evening in either place will be fun.  That said, I've eaten at a couple of Paul Matin's locations (the place @Lucky recommended) and thought the food was very good. 

I have a relative who really likes Playa del Rey, which is a little beach town right next to the airport. She stays there whenever she has an early flight out of LAX; it has more personality than the airport hotels. Not to be confused with Marina del Rey, which is an antiseptic collection of highrises (but no judgement if that's your thing!). I don't have specific recommendations for Playa del Rey other than the hotel she stays at which is called the Inn at Playa del Rey

As @rvwnsd mentions, Venice and Santa Monica are pretty close, especially Venice. Again, no specific recommendations, but these are both interesting places. Fourth Street in Santa Monica is a popular regional destination, sort of a cross between a vibrant downtown and an outdoor mall. Not sure if there are any specifically gay establishments in either Venice or Santa Monica, but there is plenty of eye candy.

On 10/23/2021 at 12:14 PM, Lucky said:

Probably the best suggestion of the string. You other guys: WeHo, Santa Monica, Malibu, etc., are nowhere near 20 minutes from the airport most of the time, nor cheap Uber/Lyft rides. Also, if staying next to LAX and planning to dine out, El Segundo (just to the south of the airport) is probably wiser than airport hotels along Century Blvd.. If staying in El Segundo, it's also a quick and easy ride to trendy Manhattan Beach, and you could go to a restaurant such as Strand House or many other nice restaurants in Manhattan Beach. 

1 hour ago, Epigonos said:

If you're into great (expensive) steakhouses you might want to consider BOA (9200 Sunset Blvd., West Hollywood, CA 90069 310-278-2050) for dinner.  It is a relatively easy Uber ride. After dinner you might walk along Sunset Blvd. and people watch before returning to your hotel.  

Well, there are no freeways anywhere near there, so it's usually not a quick nor easy ride. Depending on traffic patterns, it's either the San Diego Fwy to Sunset Blvd., or Santa Monica Freeway to Robertson Blvd., then a long way on surface streets. Count on adding at least $40 each way for the ride share (plus tip). I've been charged $90 from LAX to my western Hollywood home. Not a practical suggestion, in my view. 

Paul Martin’s is a good recommendation.

for something less “corporate” I’d suggest going to downtown Culver City. Arrive early evening 5:30 - 7:00, stroll along Culver Blvd starting at Washington Bl, heading south. Lots of choices in restaurants and bars, a lively after work crowd. The Culver Hotel will probably have live music and their cocktail lounge is nice and the hotel is historic, not brass and glass corporate.

15 hours ago, Unicorn said:

Probably the best suggestion of the string. You other guys: WeHo, Santa Monica, Malibu, etc., are nowhere near 20 minutes from the airport most of the time, nor cheap Uber/Lyft rides. Also, if staying next to LAX and planning to dine out, El Segundo (just to the south of the airport) is probably wiser than airport hotels along Century Blvd.. If staying in El Segundo, it's also a quick and easy ride to trendy Manhattan Beach, and you could go to a restaurant such as Strand House or many other nice restaurants in Manhattan Beach. 

I was in the situation flying from Australia in the 1990s. I rented a car at the airport and drove to Malibu and walked along the beach and stayed overnight

I like the Culver City idea, mentioned above.  Lot of choices for dinner.

I love  K-ZO , an upscale sushi place.   

spacer.png

The staff is young and sharp looking. 

Went there for dinner after work with a friend and sat at the sake bar, up front.  The bartender was a cute, friendly young dude.

spacer.png

Afterwards, you can stroll up and down the boulevard.  The Culver Hotel might be a destination for cocktails and music.  Check their Website or call them.  

If you are into history, the Wizard of Oz was filmed in Culver City.  The cast stayed at the Culver Hotel. 

You'll definitely find more friends of Dorothy in Culver City than places like Manhattan Beach.

8 hours ago, E.T.Bass said:

I like the Culver City idea, mentioned above.  Lot of choices for dinner.

I love  K-ZO , an upscale sushi place.   

spacer.png

The staff is young and sharp looking. 

Went there for dinner after work with a friend and sat at the sake bar, up front.  The bartender was a cute, friendly young dude.

spacer.png

Afterwards, you can stroll up and down the boulevard.  The Culver Hotel might be a destination for cocktails and music.  Check their Website or call them.  

If you are into history, the Wizard of Oz was filmed in Culver City.  The cast stayed at the Culver Hotel. 

You'll definitely find more friends of Dorothy in Culver City than places like Manhattan Beach.

Is that where the expression came from, Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz?

Edited by Luv2play

5 hours ago, Luv2play said:

Is that where the expression came from, Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz?

I don't think Culver City and "friend of Dorothy" are related, of course, but.......(from wiki)........

The origin of the phrase is most commonly attributed to the movie, The Wizard of Oz because Judy Garland, who starred as the main character Dorothy, is a gay icon. In the film, Dorothy is accepting of those who are different. For example the "gentle lion" living a lie, "I'm afraid there's no denyin', I'm just a dandy lion."[2][3] Others claim that the phrase refers to celebrated humorist and critic Dorothy Parker, who included some gay men in her famous social circle

• 3 weeks later...