Grocery Surprises, What's Got Your Goat With High Price?

DR FREUD

$6.99 for a box of Grape Nuts cereal at Ralph’s.  And yes, I bought it because I was out. When I got home, I priced it on Amazon. It was $4.79. guess where I’m buying it from now on unless I see it’s on sale somewhere at a better price.

• 3 weeks later...

My market of choice is Market Basket (a family owned New England chain). Since they finally opened in RI two years ago, that's where I've been shopping (and no longer shop Stop-n-Shop, Shaws, Dave's, Trader Joes, Whole Foods, etc.). 

Anyhow, I used to buy the "Mexican Coke" there - classic Coke in glass bottles (12 oz) with real cane sugar, no high fructose corn syrup. It tastes like the Coke I grew up with in the late 60s, 70s, 80s before they switched to HFCS in the late 80s. 

A 24 pack used to be $18 when I first went there two years ago. It slowly increased every month by a dollar or two.  The past six months they haven't stocked it, until the other day. Now the price is $36 for the 24 pack !  No thank you. 

(BTW - when MB opened their two locations in RI, there were a Price Rite store near each of them, and a S & S a stone's throw away from each. I heard this week both Price RIte stores will be closing by January, and S& S is 'considering' closing both their stores as well. Can't keep up with MB). 

With the respect to the title of this string and "what's got your goat?"... the price of goat has gone up more than 60% since 2017. 

Costlier that lamb, goat has a bit of a niche market and is mostly produced for North African, Western Asian and Middle Eastern cuisines.  Goats are harder to contain than sheep, less resistant to parasites, but are more adaptable to dry areas with scrubby vegetation.   

Tongue Goat GIF

1 hour ago, CuriousByNature said:

With the respect to the title of this string and "what's got your goat?"... the price of goat has gone up more than 60% since 2017. 

Costlier that lamb, goat has a bit of a niche market and is mostly produced for North African, Western Asian and Middle Eastern cuisines.  Goats are harder to contain than sheep, less resistant to parasites, but are more adaptable to dry areas with scrubby vegetation.   

Tongue Goat GIF

They also make for a delicious "taco de cabra"👍🏻

2 hours ago, CuriousByNature said:

Tongue Goat GIF

Australia has a healthy and growing export trade in goat meat to the subcontinent and the Middle East. Most of the goats are raised in marginal range land and mustered every so often for the trade (although some are used specifically to tackle woody weed infestations, even in city reserves, which they can clean up quite nicely). This week the butcher's shop in my local shopping centre had goat meat 'for curries' at $18.99/kg which is comparable to similar cuts of [halal] lamb that I have been buying. (The halal part isn't significant to me, but the shops tend not to stock that sort of cut in their regular lines, sticking to roasts and chops.)

• 1 month later...

American supermarkets are facing a blueberry shortage after extreme heat in Peru — the largest exporter of blueberries in the world — resulted in a stingy harvest, according to reports.

Peru has been crippled by the El Niño weather phenomenon, which increases global temperatures each time it purrs across the globe every two to seven years, according to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.

This year, El Niño sparked warmer and drier weather conditions across the South American country, per the NOAA, causing a blueberry drought that’s slashed supplies as much as 70%, Forbes reported.

Last week, the volume of blueberries that reached US stores from Peru was less than half of what it was the same week a year ago, according to Forbes.

In a typical year, Peru sends about one-third of its 1.3 billion pounds of its blueberry crop to American grocery stores.

With that harvest hacked down to some 390 million pounds, blueberries have become a pricey treat.

In the past two months alone, a container of blueberries increased $2 per container in the face of dwindling supplies.

Some 27 million pounds less of the sweet, tangy fruit have sold in 2023 compared to last year, Forbes reported.

“This is the first time in this industry’s history where we have had such a large contraction of supply, because of how big Peru has gotten, globally,” Kasey Cronquist, the president of both the US Highbush Blueberry Council and the North American Blueberry Council, told Forbes.

“They were having an endless summer in Peru, and, for blueberries, that has had a consequence,” Cronquist added.

Blueberry bushes need temperatures between 32 degrees and 45 degrees Fahrenheit to thrive, though Peru has been sweltering with El Niño-induced temperatures ranging between 59 degrees and 81 degrees Fahrenheit so far this year.

This spells bad news for the US, which has come to rely on Peru for its blueberry supply over the past decade.

In 2013, Peru sent its first over 1 million-pound batch of blueberries to the US, according to Forbes.

By 2020, Peru was America’s main blueberry supplier, and as of 2022, the US imported upwards of 339 million pounds of Peruvian blueberries.

Cronquist said that the blueberry industry is working to breed different varieties of the fruit that will be more resistant to heat.

By the spring, once North America’s blueberry-growing season starts and growth ramps up in the 10 major blueberry-producing states — Oregon, Washington, Georgia, Michigan, California, New Jersey, North Carolina, Florida, Texas and Minnesota — Cronquist told Forbes that the shortage will come to and end and prices will cool.

This week the ShopRite I use was/is totally out of eggs.

Internet postings are referencing a bird flu epidemic as the cause of a nationwide egg shortage.

I can only imagine how sky-high the cost of a dozen eggs will be when eggs again become available.

31 minutes ago, sync said:

This week the ShopRite I use was/is totally out of eggs.

Internet postings are referencing a bird flu epidemic as the cause of a nationwide egg shortage.

I can only imagine how sky-high the cost of a dozen eggs will be when eggs again become available.

I used my coupon for a free dozen Organic Valley eggs at ShopRite on Monday.  They had one tattered carton of XL, but a lot of the large.  The ShopRite eggs were being stocked as I shopped and the egg section seemed fairly well-stocked.

I have another coupon for a dozen of their blue eggs, but ShopRite doesn't carry them.  Whole Foods does and my niece shops there occasionally, so I'll give it to her to use.  She's vegan, but can buy them for the rest of the family to eat.

2 hours ago, samhexum said:

I used my coupon for a free dozen Organic Valley eggs at ShopRite on Monday.  They had one tattered carton of XL, but a lot of the large.  The ShopRite eggs were being stocked as I shopped and the egg section seemed fairly well-stocked.

I have another coupon for a dozen of their blue eggs, but ShopRite doesn't carry them.  Whole Foods does and my niece shops there occasionally, so I'll give it to her to use.  She's vegan, but can buy them for the rest of the family to eat.

From the situation here (upper NY State) and what I've been reading, I would say get them while you can.

I have been noticing lately that some of my favorite Trader Joe's frozen dinners--like Cod Provencale--were missing from stock at my local store. Yesterday afternoon, I stopped there, and the parking lot was so full I had to park much farther from the entrance than usual. Inside, the aisles were full of people, and I was able to find all the items I had been missing. When I asked the checker, she told me that they had just gotten in a new supply of all the frozen items that they had not been able to get from the supplier for weeks. I guess I'm not the only person who missed their Lamb Vindaloo.

On 11/9/2023 at 2:11 AM, sync said:

From the situation here (upper NY State) and what I've been reading, I would say get them while you can.

On 11/9/2023 at 11:38 AM, samhexum said:

My friend paid $2.69 for a dozen XL Stop & Shop eggs today.

Just picked up 1 dozen large Land o' Lakes brown eggs at ShopRite for $1.99.  Plenty of stock.