Best Coffee

MysticMenace
This topic is 960 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I was watching this YouTube video about a guy driving 100 miles to try "the best" coffee - which turns out for him to be 'Dutch Bros.' I haven't been, but was wondering if y'all agree. If not, what do you think is "the best" coffee place, and how much are you willing to travel to have it?

well, I lasted 1:31 with this social media star wannabe......before 1:31, he mentioned something about having to have some work done by 10am, but he woke up at 11:30am, but he apparently started making this video at 11:54am without yet working on that work and having time to also look at some TikTok in the meantime....or something......

sorry, never got to his search for good coffee.....

Dutch Bros is all oh-so-hip and trendy now....rock music in outdoor speakers next to the drive-thru.....really cool order-takers......must-have bumper stickers.....some go there just to say they went there......yup, being a cynical little bastard now!!!.....last time I was there, I used the walk-up window so I wouldn't have to sit in the long line and pollute......the perky little teen-aged airhead who took my order promptly forgot it, or something......milling about outside the window five minutes later, a manager asked if I'd already ordered.....a full refund ensued and the latte was adequate......

I try to patronize the local indies.....

many years ago, some article mentioned "Jamaican Blue Mountain" as the most expensive coffee ever.....went and got a quarter-pound (!) of it at a local gourmet place as a Xmas gift to Mom and Dad (some ulterior motives in there since I was visiting and I'd get to try it, too!)......it was noticeably different, very earthy, very good........not good enough to use regularly, though...... 

Edited by azdr0710

6 minutes ago, azdr0710 said:

many years ago, some article mentioned "Jamaican Blue Mountain" as the most expensive coffee ever.....

Pure Kona is right up there, but not as earthy tasting. Much smoother, if that's what you're looking for.

I personally want my cup of coffee to be strong enough to eat through the spoon I use to stir it.

6 hours ago, azdr0710 said:

well, I lasted 1:31 with this social media star wannabe......

That video was a vapid waste of time. 

I’ve seen some of his other videos with his older boyfriend. 
They’re kind of cute, but not particularly interesting. 

5 hours ago, Benjamin_Nicholas said:

I personally want my cup of coffee to be strong enough to eat through the spoon I use to stir it.

Yes! I need rocket fuel. 

Best coffee ever….The Mandarin Oriental in Barcelona. 
Every morning, I never wanted breakfast to end and I missed a few Gaudi buildings as a result. 
It was worth it…..and I LOVE Gaudi. 
The staff even struggled to contain their laughter at how happy the coffee made me. 
I dream of returning to Barcelona, just for that coffee. 

Edited by nycman

My favorite coffee is coffee I make at home.  (I'm not including espresso or espresso based drinks.)  I typically make coffee using a French Press because my Nespresso Vertuo machine requires a lot of effort to keep it working.  Too bad because it makes the best coffee I've ever had; I also love strong coffee and the Vertuo line really extracts a lot of flavor from the beans.  I think the design of the Vertuo line is basically flawed, though, with so many complaints online similar to mine, namely that the machines get clogged and start leaking because coffee beans end up getting forced into parts of the machine where they shouldn't be.

Did not watch the video. It looks like a pure click-bait / waste-of-time.

11 hours ago, Benjamin_Nicholas said:

The best coffee is coffee you make at home, saving the time, effort and fuckall you experience at a place like Starbucks.

While I agree with this, I consider Colombian beans the best, and Cuban "cortadito" my favourite style.

9 minutes ago, Benjamin_Nicholas said:

Well, thanks for that positivity.  

It really wasn't meant for you anyway.

Lol HONEY! I was talking about the "Driving 100 Miles for the best coffee!" 🙄🤦‍♂️

But probably my bad for not being specific. Now expecting Joe Mendoza's come back at me in 4, 3, 2 ... 🤣

Edited by lonely_john

3 minutes ago, lonely_john said:

Lol HONEY! I was talking about the "Driving 100 Miles for the best coffee!"   🙄🤦‍♂️

But probably my bad for not being specific. Now expecting Joe Mendoza's come back at me in 4, 3, 2 ... 🤣

I sorta like you calling me honey, but if we're already to the pet-names stage, I'd prefer sweetcheeks 

Clearly, I got confused when my quote pulled me into your post.  My apologies about that.

That said, I do believe you're outside the States, which might make my Taster's Choice commercial post completely foreign to you and- as stated- a pure waste of time ;)

28 minutes ago, Benjamin_Nicholas said:

I sorta like you calling me honey, but if we're already to the pet-names stage, I'd prefer sweetcheeks 

Clearly, I got confused when my quote pulled me into your post.  My apologies about that.

That said, I do believe you're outside the States, which might make my Taster's Choice commercial post completely foreign to you and- as stated- a pure waste of time ;)

Not at all. It was entertaining, sweetcheeks.

Can't say that I get brewed coffee from a "coffee place" often enough to state a preference...

But I'm wondering... am I the only one here who's a weirdo about brewing my own coffee at home? I always grind from coffee beans in the morning using a burr grinder, then brew right after grinding and drink within an hour of brewing (usually from fresh, dark roasted Arabica beans). I've experimented with putting a special mix of minerals in distilled water so the water is not too soft and not too hard (not sure that's worth the extra effort though).  Store bought ground coffee from a can tastes bitter in comparison and I need a ton of sweetener to make it palatable. Coffee from good beans that are freshly ground to the correct granularity with the right water is so smooth that it needs very little sweetener.