Best Coffee

MysticMenace
This topic is 973 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

At home, I like to put Cafe Pajaro in my espresso machine. When I'm out, I like to stop at Starbucks. Quite a few years ago, I liked it so much, I bought the company. Starbucks been berry, berry good to me (a vintage SNL reference our younger viewers may not get/Béisbol been berry berry good to me). 

Cafe Pajaro Whole Bean Coffee – Food Review – Trader Joe's | Ain't Found A  Good Title Blog

On 7/13/2021 at 12:28 PM, SundayZip said:

I always grind from coffee beans in the morning using a burr grinder, then brew right after grinding and drink within an hour of brewing

Using a burr grinder made the biggest positive difference in my home brewed coffee. But brewed coffee tastes best within the first 15 minutes. Any left in the pot after 30 minutes gets dumped. (Maybe I should switch to a thermal carafe.)

I've had good French press coffee in hotels and restaurants but haven't been able to replicate the grind, proportions, or seep time at home to my satisfaction. 

Edited by EastbayMike

3 hours ago, EastbayMike said:

Or as my sister says "I have major dick every morning!"

What's her favorite brand of rum?

Big Black Dick Rum - Rum producer.

6 hours ago, Deadlift1 said:

I drink decaf and went to Portugal with a Brazilian friend.  He said that in Europe there was no need to drink decaf because it has 1)2 the caffeine as American coffee.  He said that we add extra caffeine.  Anybody think this is true? 

I don't think we add extra caffeine to coffee beans in America.  The difference is that Europeans tend to consume dark roast (all espresso drinks obviously but even brewed coffee) whereas Americans drink light roast.  The longer beans are roasted, the darker they get and the more caffeine gets broken down.  Mind you, I think you can buy extra-caffeinated coffee in America, but it's rare.

funny quick little thing I just remembered......

somewhere I heard (possibly this forum) that somebody was anxiously awaiting a first visit to the US so they could go to a diner/cafe and keep having their coffee cup refilled endlessly for free!

friendly-waitress-coffee-pot-11262472.jp

Daily, I brew blended Starbucks Sumatra (2 scoops) with Urth Manhattan Mudd (4 scoops).  Best damn cup(s) of coffee I've had in 44 years (yes coffee started for me at 4, I'm a Scandinavian farm boy) of drinking it.  

Unfortunately (possibly), I have to have both ground at the store and can't use a Burr at home, much as I'd like to.

More important to me than PERFECTLY ground coffee is very very very very very good coffee that is brewing automatically the moment I wake.  And, unfortunately, every automated coffee maker I've purchased that uses a burr grinder becomes clogged immediately because my favorite beans are quite oily.

Yes, in the last 15 years it's become quite trendy to be mindful and stepwise when "creating" the perfect morning coffee.  And if that brings you greater enjoyment and makes you mentally and emotionally centered, wunderbar.  That process doesn't bring me pleasure.  Smelling my favorite blend of coffee brewing as I walk to the kitchen first thing that brings me pleasure.

So, daily I don't have the best coffee, because  I don't grind it myself.  But I have my favorite coffee my  favorite way.

Edited by Rod Hagen

57 minutes ago, Rod Hagen said:

Daily, I brew blended Starbucks Sumatra (2 scoops) with Urth Manhattan Mudd (4 scoops).  Best damn cup(s) of coffee I've had in 44 years (yes coffee started for me at 4, I'm a Scandinavian farm boy) of drinking it.  

Unfortunately (possibly), I have to have both ground at the store and can't use a Burr at home, much as I'd like to.

More important to me than PERFECTLY ground coffee is very very very very very good coffee that is brewing automatically the moment I wake.  And, unfortunately, every automated coffee maker I've purchased that uses a burr grinder becomes clogged immediately because my favorite beans are quite oily.

Yes, in the last 15 years it's become quite trendy to be mindful and stepwise when "creating" the perfect morning coffee.  And if that brings you greater enjoyment and makes you mentally and emotionally centered, wunderbar.  That process doesn't bring me pleasure.  Smelling my favorite blend of coffee brewing as I walk to the kitchen first thing that brings me pleasure.

So, daily I don't have the best coffee, because  I don't grind it myself.  But I have my favorite coffee my  favorite way.

total coffee addict here:

https://www.cafecampesino.com/mexico-chiapas-full-city-roast-coffee/

technivore coffee maker + Braun burr grinder = heavenB002S4DI2S.htm

I’ve posted earlier upthread that I roast my own coffee beans, etc. Really good, had a Tanzania peaberry this morning.

But, I’m headed to a hotel for 4 days (yes with a “friend”😉) and the hotel has a Keurig. So, what’s the best (dark/strong) k-cup I can  easily get on Amazon to satisfy my dark/strong coffee palate?

On 8/1/2021 at 12:09 PM, Deadlift1 said:

I drink decaf and went to Portugal with a Brazilian friend.  He said that in Europe there was no need to drink decaf because it has 1)2 the caffeine as American coffee.  He said that we add extra caffeine.  Anybody think this is true? 

If you look at the ingredient label on a package of coffee you can see for yourself that unflavored coffee typically contains one ingredient: coffee. Exceptions include coffee that's mixed with chicory or pinon.  Were caffeine (or anything else" to be added it would be listed on the ingredient label.

However, the variety of coffee bean does affect the caffeine level. Scribbler's Coffee Company explains on their website:

"...One more caffeine comparison ought to be mentioned: Robusta coffee versus Arabica coffee. Robusta—a harsh-tasting, inexpensive coffee variety (or varietal)—contains nearly twice the caffeine of Arabica. A less expensive, supermarket-type brand offering a blend of both represents more caffeine per cup than a 100% Arabica coffee when both are identically prepared and brewed. What's more, if that supermarket blend happens to be roasted dark and its coffee grounds are measured by weight prior to brewing, a brewed cup will deliver the biggest caffeine dose of all...."

Scribbler's blog post was originally written in 2004. In 2007, Maxwell House stopped using Robusta beans and switched to 100% Arabica beans. Several Folger's varieties use Arabica beans while others use Robusta. McDonald's has used Arabica beans since before I worked there in the 1980's and Starbucks also uses Arabica beans. 

On 8/1/2021 at 6:39 PM, BSR said:

...The longer beans are roasted, the darker they get and the more caffeine gets broken down.  

That's not true. According to Kicking Horse Coffee's website, caffeine does not break down during the roasting process. However, as beans are roasted they lose mass as the water evaporates. The caffeine level varies based on how you measure the coffee. Rather than paraphrase, here's a direct quote:

"...If you measure your coffee by scoops, light roasted coffee will have more caffeine. Since the beans are denser than a darker roast. However if you weigh out your scoops, darker roasts will have more caffeine, because there is less mass. What should also be noted is that Arabica beans vary in levels of caffeine depending on the plant species.

And, as we know from our caffeine basics the amount of caffeine in a cup of coffee is so minimal, we might not even notice the difference.

Myth be damned. Depending on how ground coffee is measured, we find only a minimal variance in caffeine content with dark and light roasts..."

31 minutes ago, MikeBiDude said:

I’ve posted earlier upthread that I roast my own coffee beans, etc. Really good, had a Tanzania peaberry this morning.

But, I’m headed to a hotel for 4 days (yes with a “friend”😉) and the hotel has a Keurig. So, what’s the best (dark/strong) k-cup I can  easily get on Amazon to satisfy my dark/strong coffee palate?

24 minutes ago, Rod Hagen said:

Starbucks Sumatra, definitely

I agree with @Rod Hagen. Peet's Major Dickason's Blend K-Cups are also good. 

You can find both coffees in most supermarkets.

1 hour ago, MikeBiDude said:

Peet's Major Dickason's is my go-to for daily brew in my Keurig.  It's dark and strong....like my men.  ☺️

518xcZZe+RL._SL1200_.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Coffee inspires me through all my life(especially latte). Got an ordinary stuff - cheap grinder and Mr.Coffee's machine - easy to use and probably the best latte I've ever seen. The main secret is Italian roasted beans. Because the best coffee is made at home and by you. Don't want to waste my money to Starbucks trash

On 8/4/2021 at 12:22 PM, MikeBiDude said:

what @RJD said. looks like your "friend" has got the "cream" covered. lol

6 hours ago, JoeMendoza said:

what @RJD said. looks like your "friend" has got the "cream" covered. lol

What a nicely timed post, I’m reading it as I’m visiting North San Diego County and enjoying a k-cup of Peet’s. And, the previously mentioned friend is flying in tonight for the holiday weekend! 

Also thanks to @tassojuniorwho turned me onto Illy coffee in another thread. I use their coffee at home when not roasting/brewing my own beans. AND, they also have k-cups which are pretty good and in my travel repertoire with the Peet’s.