Best Coffee

MysticMenace
This topic is 973 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

4 hours ago, lonely_john said:

Lol HONEY! I was talking about the "Driving 100 Miles for the best coffee!" 🙄🤦‍♂️

But probably my bad for not being specific. Now expecting Joe Mendoza's come back at me in 4, 3, 2 ... 🤣

lol, it wasn't my YouTube video so I wasn't offended. but low-key, I have watched all of the Chris and Ian Youtube videos, coz I just think the boyfriend Ian is just sooo adorable. 

anyways, there was a looong phase, when I enjoyed the entire process - grinding my own Kona beans, brewing it...blah blah blah, but idk, I've become a 3-in-1 Nescafe person the past year. could not be bothered. so I guess people do change - I used to be a coffee snob, now I've become an equal opportunity coffee consumer.

but...after having visited Colombia twice, I would say, I have had my best coffee there - especially the home "cooked" ones - where they literally have to scoop out the coffee from a pot through a ladle. that was amazing.

I do enjoy some legit Vietnamese coffee as well. 

1 hour ago, JoeMendoza said:

lol, it wasn't my YouTube video so I wasn't offended. but low-key, I have watched all of the Chris and Ian Youtube videos, coz I just think the boyfriend Ian is just sooo adorable. 

anyways, there was a looong phase, when I enjoyed the entire process - grinding my own Kona beans, brewing it...blah blah blah, but idk, I've become a 3-in-1 Nescafe person the past year. could not be bothered. so I guess people do change - I used to be a coffee snob, now I've become an equal opportunity coffee consumer.

but...after having visited Colombia twice, I would say, I have had my best coffee there - especially the home "cooked" ones - where they literally have to scoop out the coffee from a pot through a ladle. that was amazing.

I do enjoy some legit Vietnamese coffee as well. 

Has anyone tried the coffee that is made from beans which have passed through the digestive tract of a civet?  It's apparently quite rare and expensive.  And further to my first question, has anyone here come across a pile of crap in the forest and decided, "I think I'll pick through it and see if there is anything I can make a drink from"?  🤪

1 minute ago, CuriousByNature said:

Has anyone tried the coffee that is made from beans which have passed through the digestive tract of a civet?  It's apparently quite rare and expensive.  And further to my first question, has anyone here come across a pile of crap in the forest and decided, "I think I'll pick through it and see if there is anything I can make a drink from"?  🤪

had to look up what a civet was, so that'd be a no. I have even seen beans that have passed thru elephants. and I don't do forests unless there's already a cottage with electricity and wifi, so no on the second question.

We have such fantastic roasters locally that, like others, I always brew my own coffee in the morning. I prefer a dark roast, and add some Organic Valley heavy whipping cream. Rarely go out for coffee. And I find Starbucks revolting. The last time I went to a Starbucks was 3 years ago in Brasov, Romania, since nothing else was open at that early hour. The latte was actually excellent, far better than the US version.

On 7/12/2021 at 9:35 PM, CuriousByNature said:

There are coffees that are really popular that I don't like at all.  Like Tim Horton's.  Yes, I realize I may lose my Canadian citizenship for that one.

We have Tim Horton's here in Buffalo as well. I don't drink coffee but apparently ever since Tim's got sold to Burger King it went downhill. 

If you like flavored coffee drinks that contain more sugar than the entire state of Hawaii, then Dutch Bros is the place for you. I've never been there, but a colleague whose taste in coffee is similar to mine reports that their coffee is weak, flavorless, and bitter when it is not flavored. 

At home I have a Nespresso Virtuo and alternate between Costa Rica and Fortado for cups of coffee. I find their limited-edition and single-source espresso capsules to be very good. Their Decaffeinato Intenso is the best decaffeinated coffee you will ever drink. 

When I brew coffee at home, my bean of choice is Columbia and I use a French press. 

3 hours ago, rvwnsd said:

If you like flavored coffee drinks that contain more sugar than the entire state of Hawaii, then Dutch Bros is the place for you. I've never been there, but a colleague whose taste in coffee is similar to mine reports that their coffee is weak, flavorless, and bitter when it is not flavored. 

At home I have a Nespresso Virtuo and alternate between Costa Rica and Fortado for cups of coffee. I find their limited-edition and single-source espresso capsules to be very good. Their Decaffeinato Intenso is the best decaffeinated coffee you will ever drink. 

When I brew coffee at home, my bean of choice is Columbia and I use a French press. 

does your French press also come from William Sonoma? I stan your kitchen equipment, so had to ask.

23 hours ago, CuriousByNature said:

Has anyone tried the coffee that is made from beans which have passed through the digestive tract of a civet?

Yeah, I’ve had “Civet Shit" coffee. It’s nothing special. In fact, it’s stupid. 

3 hours ago, rvwnsd said:

At home I have a Nespresso Virtuo….

Ok, I used one of these when I stayed at a hotel in Boston. 

I was so excited. I love my old school Nespresso machine and this thing just looks like it’s going to make an amazing cup of coffee. It was the weakest, lukewarm, just plain worst cup of coffee I’ve ever made. I tried different pods and even went to my friend’s room to use their machine, since I figured there must be something wrong with mine. They all sucked. 

I’d love to come over and be proven wrong. 
A quick, easy, hot, cup of great coffee would be heaven!

3 hours ago, nycman said:

I was so excited. I love my old school Nespresso machine and this thing just looks like it’s going to make an amazing cup of coffee. It was the weakest, lukewarm, just plain worst cup of coffee I’ve ever made. I tried different pods and even went to my friend’s room to use their machine, since I figured there must be something wrong with mine. They all sucked. 

My first Nespresso Virtuo did that and they replaced it. The replacement was fine. If you already have a Nespresso then my advice is to keep using it to brew Lungos. 

4 hours ago, JoeMendoza said:

does your French press also come from William Sonoma? I stan your kitchen equipment, so had to ask.

No, actually, it came from Starbucks back in 2006. They sold this one for roughly a year. It is stainless steel and insulated. Best French press ever.

14 hours ago, nycman said:

Yeah, I’ve had “Civet Shit" coffee. It’s nothing special. In fact, it’s stupid. 

Might just be the capsules you had.  Some are very weak (intentionally) and others are quite robust.  With both the Nespresso Original and Vertuo lines, I prefer their bolder/stronger roasts.  They use a numerical system to rank the intensity so it's easy to stick to the varieties that rank near 10 or above.

Interesting thread. Coffee is a matter of science and art, or arts. Source, growing, roasting, blending, brewing, and the skill of the barista if it's espresso. My coffee at home is either filter or plunger (translation, French press), and out, a flat white, always full cream milk. I think I've commented on coffee threads here before so pardon me if I repeat myself, I'm not going to search for any previous comments.

Local cafes are the usual thing here, not chain stores, although there are some of those, McDonalds being the most common (yes, McCafe started here). The vibe of a coffee shop does nothing for me, but some aspects of what might be called 'ambience' can be a factor. I remember a story in the Economist on the virtual demise of Starbucks here where the author said every corner store has an espresso machine and knows how to use it, and that's pretty accurate. The quality is not uniform, but it's generally good. Even Maccas. They have recently been running ads on TV about their new blend, and they have proper barista-operated machines not automatic ones. (Not that automatic machines are bad, the self-service machines in one petrol station chain here make quite passable coffee, and the expensive Italian one my sister has is very good.)

My favourite? The one I have in my hand at the time. Biggest turn-off is where they have heated the milk so much that it is scalded, although I can count the number of times that's happened on the fingers of one hand, but still a non-zero number.

12 hours ago, rvwnsd said:

My first Nespresso Virtuo did that and they replaced it. The replacement was fine. If you already have a Nespresso then my advice is to keep using it to brew Lungos. 

The Vertuoline for Nespresso was a resounding failure in comparison to original capsule-based system.  The new machine didn't get the water hot enough.

The original capsule machines were going off-patent, so they had to do something to fend off what was going to happen.  A lot like what Keurig did with their 2.0.

Agreeing with what you said, keep the original machine if you have one.  It's supremely better, as are the capsules.

On 7/12/2021 at 8:53 PM, Benjamin_Nicholas said:

Pure Kona is right up there, but not as earthy tasting. Much smoother, if that's what you're looking for.

On 7/13/2021 at 10:30 AM, Rod Hagen said:

Kona is fantastic.

I’m headed to Hawaii next week where I brew 100% Kona every day 😉there’s a good Hawaii big island coffee that’s good too, the name escapes me I’ll edit the post when I remember it 

At home I roast green coffee beans a couple days a week, I lean towards African beans, Kenya in particular. But I have green beans from multiple continents in my pantry.

2 hours ago, Benjamin_Nicholas said:

The Vertuoline for Nespresso was a resounding failure in comparison to original capsule-based system.  The new machine didn't get the water hot enough.

The original capsule machines were going off-patent, so they had to do something to fend off what was going to happen.  A lot like what Keurig did with their 2.0.

Agreeing with what you said, keep the original machine if you have one.  It's supremely better, as are the capsules.

They really have improved the capsules and machines. That said, the Virtuo Plus was a piece of junk. They leaked and instead of junking them they sold them and made the "member" send the unit in for repairs. I found if you write multiple bad reviews they eventually call a truce and will replace the machine or issue account credit for the cost of the machine.  If memory serves it took 100 bad reviews and a letter to the Arizona attorney general's consumer protection bureau. 

Press Coffee here in Phoenix has some excellent small-batch beans that they roast themselves. Another thing I like about Press is they have opened coffee bars in some of the less-than-hip areas of the metro area. They are always crowded and very friendly. 

11 minutes ago, Unicorn said:

And then some people will pay massive amounts for coffee made out of beans which civets pass out in their poop:

https://enjoyjava.com/civet-coffee/

Yikes, civet poop coffee sells for $100-500 a pound ($500 for beans from wild civets, less if it comes from civet farms).  I wonder how any buyer knows for sure that real, honest-to-God civets pooped out the coffee beans they're buying.  I can just picture some scamster selling regular non-pooped coffee beans for $500/pound and laughing his ass off that some sucker with more money than sense is actually shelling out such a scandalous sum.

9 hours ago, Unicorn said:

And then some people will pay massive amounts for coffee made out of beans which civets pass out in their poop:

https://enjoyjava.com/civet-coffee/

8 hours ago, BSR said:

Yikes, civet poop coffee sells for $100-500 a pound ($500 for beans from wild civets, less if it comes from civet farms).  I wonder how any buyer knows for sure that real, honest-to-God civets pooped out the coffee beans they're buying.  I can just picture some scamster selling regular non-pooped coffee beans for $500/pound and laughing his ass off that some sucker with more money than sense is actually shelling out such a scandalous sum.

Just goes to show that having more money than sense is a real thing.

PS: Anyone want to buy salad greens my cat threw up? They're only $750/pound.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, JoeMendoza said:

Has anyone tried out Blue Bottle Coffee?

https://bluebottlecoffee.com/store/coffee

No, I haven't but two observations:

1. Good on them for donating a portion of the proceeds of their "Neighbor Blend" to The Hyde Park Arts Center in honor of their first Chicago coffeehouse.
  2. My first thought when seeing "Blue Bottle Coffee x Human Made Past Blend" was "they can't have switched out the civets and switched in..."