Messy Joe Mendoza...being Messy...

MysticMenace
This topic is 1066 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I noticed this a few times but didn't pay too much attention to it, and I think I have an idea for some reasons why...I just wonder:

• Why certain folks decided to put certain forum members on the "Ignore" list?
  • If you put certain members on the "Ignore" list, why some decide to list them in their signatures?
  • Have there been instances when you removed someone from your "Ignore" list and have actually followed them?

I've never put somebody on "ignore" and never plan to......I don't take this place nearly as serious as some others seem to.....

a minor reason I don't put people on "ignore" is I fear continuity disruption in threads in which I've ignored a poster in that thread

I think I've seen one poster who has posted those he ignores in his signature......apparently deliberately and not the result of forum software....again, way too serious!

I ignore members on this site that seem to "trigger" bad behavior or heated responses from me that I later regret. 
Honestly, their comments are meaningless to me and I enjoy this site much more without them. 
In my mind, it’s a win-win. 

The new site also allows me to easily avoid entire segments for which I don’t care. 
Politics and pictures are forums that hold little interest to me.
I haven’t had to manually filter either one since we migrated. 

I’m a big fan of both functions. 

Your second question seems to reference a specific poster. I have no clue.

Your third question….Have I removed someone from my ignore list? 
No, that would defeat the purpose. 

Edited by nycman

4 hours ago, JoeMendoza said:

I noticed this a few times but didn't pay too much attention to it, and I think I have an idea for some reasons why...I just wonder:

• Why certain folks decided to put certain forum members on the "Ignore" list?

Because it is better than getting a "time out" upon reacting to something they said. More folks should use this feature, IMO.

• If you put certain members on the "Ignore" list, why some decide to list them in their signatures?

I suppose for the same reason my cat Linus peed on the old futon in my office.

• Have there been instances when you removed someone from your "Ignore" list and have actually followed them?

Nope. Like @purplekow, I will unignore someone to see if they have changed. Usually, they haven't and I block them again.

PS: After I threw away the futon and replaced it with a sofa Linus stopped the inappropriate peeing.

I recently put two forum members on ignore, first time in my decade+ here.  For one of them, I put him on ignore because I stopped reading his posts years ago.  Since he often responded to my posts & mentioned me using the @, I noted in my signature that he was on my ignore list as a courtesy to him, so that he doesn't waste time writing posts directed at me that I'll never read.

For the other board member, I just felt like he was far more interested in trolling than any honest discussion or debate.  I got fed up with the trolling, and gotta say, I've been enjoying my visits to this board so much more ever since I set him to ignore.

It would be a rare circumstance where I’d ignore someone.  As mentioned earlier, it can make following a thread “choppy”

Unlike many, I’m here to be exposed to different views and opinions and to learn about things that otherwise might be in my “blind spot” based on the “traffic patterns” of my life and daily routines.  In general, I don’t mind people having different opinions.  It’s when they get rude and unable to handle push back that things get tense…