What are you old enough to remember?

7829V

-5 cent first class postage

-Party line telephones

-Phone #'s where the first two digits were letters e.g. SW 4-6598

-Pop (not soda) came in only bottles. (Which were worth their weight in gold for deposit returns!)

-Locker Plants (Local butchers who had small individual freezers that you could rent to keep purchassd bulk frozen meat right at the store, you simply went to pick it up when needed!)

-Instead of battery powered warning flashing lights for road construction small pots of kerosene with large wicks were placed on piles of sand at night around construction areas. (This continued in my small town until the late 1960's)

-Gold Bond, Green and Gift House trading stamps given away at grocery and gas stations redeemable for catalog of great gifts.

These are just a few that come to mind...

Kipp

When a colleague of my father traded her car in, my father advised me to go to the dealer immediately and buy it, because he said it was in excellent condition. So I did, but it had a bigger gas tank than my old car, and when I took it to the gas station to have the attendant fill it up, the total bill came to $3.75! I was shocked, and had to find all the change in my pockets to pay for it.

When a colleague of my father traded her car in, my father advised me to go to the dealer immediately and buy it, because he said it was in excellent condition. So I did, but it had a bigger gas tank than my old car, and when I took it to the gas station to have the attendant fill it up, the total bill came to $3.75! I was shocked, and had to find all the change in my pockets to pay for it.

Nowadays your father would likely have arranged for you to buy it before it went to the dealer. Eliminating the middle man usually saves big bucks.

Nowadays your father would likely have arranged for you to buy it before it went to the dealer. Eliminating the middle man usually saves big bucks.

Yes, that struck me as strange. Why not sell it directly? Both the colleague and @Charlie lost out. Only the dealer made extra $$ for little work. Unless the father and his colleague were not under good terms.

Yes, that struck me as strange. Why not sell it directly? Both the colleague and @Charlie lost out. Only the dealer made extra $$ for little work. Unless the father and his colleague were not under good terms.

He didn't know she was going to trade it until after she had done it. To make matters worse, the car was not as good as he thought: it looked beautiful, but it drank oil. After a month, the dealer agreed to exchange it for another used car he had on the lot, which I was happy with for a couple of years. (My father was one of his regular customers.)

full-serve gas stations......(no, I don't live in New Jersey or Oregon)

And at my Dad's small town garage it meant checking the oil, radiator water, battery fluids, transmission fluid if it was a rare automatic, washing the windows and checking the tire pressure. We also sold kerosene from an unground pump for 25cents/gallon.

He didn't know she was going to trade it until after she had done it. To make matters worse, the car was not as good as he thought: it looked beautiful, but it drank oil. After a month, the dealer agreed to exchange it for another used car he had on the lot, which I was happy with for a couple of years. (My father was one of his regular customers.)

When we bought our first house in the city, we were surprised that the supermarket on the next block sold kerosene. The we discovered that some of our neighbors didn't have electricity and still used kerosene lamps.

All of these....in Los Angeles there was a local clown show on TV “Chuckles the Clown”. I made a brief appearance on it at 4 years old on B&W TV.

My dad was a real estate agent....he was showing a house in his newish Chrysler in the 60’s which had seat belts. He says a boy of the family got into the car, buckled up, and asked my dad “cool, when do we crash?”

You were just a toddler with an adult sense of humor. Toddlers Rule