Stocks and the marketplace

1 hour ago, Kevin Slater said:

This presents a wonderful opportunity to deploy some of that cash.

How am I feeling?  Like I've seen this before, and I know how it ends.  It ends well.

Kevin Slater

I did exactly that today - invested about 20% of my cash marked for investment. Will wait for an additional 5% drop before I invest the next 10%. Patience isnt a virtue of mine, so I have rules I stick to. 🏦

11 hours ago, Kevin Slater said:

This presents a wonderful opportunity to deploy some of that cash.

How am I feeling?  Like I've seen this before, and I know how it ends.  It ends well.

Kevin Slater

Like you, I see this as a “buying opportunity.”  Warren Buffet has been buying this week.  It may not be the bottom but there are selective “good” buys.  I have made some purchases.  Like Disney, this may not be the bottom but over the long run, it’ll be OK.

This has been my stock buying pattern for over 50 years.  My problem is that at 76, the “long run” is not so long🥲.

5 hours ago, bigjoey said:

My problem is that at 76, the “long run” is not so long🥲.

I completely agree @bigjoey I’m happy with my investments (all long-term holdings) and I see no point in trading them.

As we age, I think there may be a further problem for single gay men with a good income. Certainly in the pandemic, I found myself saving far more than usual.  Unless you have a dynastic impulse, why try to get richer? I always recall my grandfather’s dictum on investing “You never want to wake up poor”

An interesting article on panic selling. 

That’s because investors in these demographic categories are more likely to react to the market’s decline by freaking out and “panic selling.” And if you do that, odds are good that you won’t get back into equities until the stock market is much higher than where it stood when you sold—causing you to lose out to buying and holding.

In fact, according to a new study, you might never get back in. Nearly a third of investors who “panic sell” swear off equities altogether, and never re-enter the market. So they lose out on stocks’ long-term potential.

Kevin Slater

23 hours ago, Kevin Slater said:

An interesting article on panic selling. 

That’s because investors in these demographic categories are more likely to react to the market’s decline by freaking out and “panic selling.” And if you do that, odds are good that you won’t get back into equities until the stock market is much higher than where it stood when you sold—causing you to lose out to buying and holding.

In fact, according to a new study, you might never get back in. Nearly a third of investors who “panic sell” swear off equities altogether, and never re-enter the market. So they lose out on stocks’ long-term potential.

Kevin Slater

I think it was Warren Buffett who said that the stock market is the only store where the customers run away when there is a sale on.  😆

spacer.png

Edited by FrankR

17 hours ago, Luv2play said:

There is an old saw in investing that says never try to catch a falling knife. 

That is indeed a well known saying - To be sure, I am not trying to catch the falling knife…I am “betting” it will still be in usable condition after it hits the floor! 😉

Edited by FrankR

• 4 weeks later...

Well, here we are almost a month later and that proverbial knife is still falling. 

Some days it has fallen as fast as the worst days of 2008. And we know how that ended. The great recession.

Today the S&P500 is down 23 percent. It is not inconceivable it could fall between 33 and 50 percent. It has in my lifetime a couple of times. At this point its hard to see what is going to change market sentiment since there are no silver bullets in prospect.

27 minutes ago, Luv2play said:

Well, here we are almost a month later and that proverbial knife is still falling. 

Some days it has fallen as fast as the worst days of 2008. And we know how that ended. The great recession.

Today the S&P500 is down 23 percent. It is not inconceivable it could fall between 33 and 50 percent. It has in my lifetime a couple of times. At this point its hard to see what is going to change market sentiment since there are no silver bullets in prospect.

I ill-advisedly tossed the die and cashed out a chunk of registered mutual funds at around the market nadir in March 2020, didn’t die, and I had planned to spend a lot of it but I haven’t needed to touch it as my regular income flow has been adequate even for 5 major trips I will have done and dusted this year. My fund manager asserted over two years ago that it would be a challenge to ever get that money back into the market. Now with the funds I left invested tumbling, I am wondering if the adage ‘never say never’ applies. 

Edited by SirBillybob

Great time to throw some money into the market.  Time in the market is more important than timing the market.  From the Elements of Investing:

We could run through dozens of other examples using actual
stock market returns. One investor might start early but have the
worst possible timing, investing at the peak of the stock market
each year. Another investor starts later but is the world's luckiest
investor, buying at the absolute bottom of the market every year.
The first investor, even though she may have invested less money
and had the worst possible timing, accumulates more money.
Luck in picking the right time to invest is all well and good,
but time is much more important than timing. There is always a
good excuse to put off planning for retirement. Don't let it happen
to you. Put time on your side. To get rich surely you have to do
it wisely - which means slowly - and you will have to start now.

Kevin Slater

• 1 month later...
On 5/20/2022 at 6:30 AM, bigjoey said:

Like you, I see this as a “buying opportunity.”  Warren Buffet has been buying this week.  It may not be the bottom but there are selective “good” buys.  I have made some purchases.  Like Disney, this may not be the bottom but over the long run, it’ll be OK.

This has been my stock buying pattern for over 50 years.  My problem is that at 76, the “long run” is not so long🥲.

I am beginning to think the stock price for Disney may be down enough to start looking like value...pity about the dividend though. 🤔

1 hour ago, KeepItReal said:

I am beginning to think the stock price for Disney may be down enough to start looking like value...pity about the dividend though. 🤔

It popped today in tandem with Netflix's not-as-bad-as-expected results.  Still pretty close to its 52 week low, and basically where it was seven years ago.

Kevin Slater

• 4 months later...

My impression is that while stock markets have staged somewhat of a rally in recent weeks, that in the face of growing recessionary fears, this will not last and that markets will resume heading south.

Some sectors have done well, such as energy, because of the war in Ukraine, but oil prices have started tumbling and are now below $80. Banks are doing well but real estate is under pressure and banks always have a huge exposure there.

Hi tech is in a swoon so no comfort there. Inflation may be coming under control but the road ahead still looks long and winding.

I only keep a casual eye on the markets as I am not invested heavily but wonder what others think.

• 9 months later...