Stocks and the marketplace

Thought it might be good idea to start a thread on finances... after all they help support this hobby :) I'm overleveraged on banks and pharma right now.

I am thinking of getting into Green Energy and Electric Vehicles. Bought PLUG last January around 3$ and now it is 32$.. thinking of cashing out. Just bought the shanghai electric vehicle producer, NIO. Looking forward to some interesting discussions. Anyone with other ideas? ETFs or stock recommendations for growth and dividends?

Thought it might be good idea to start a thread on finances... after all they help support this hobby :) I'm overleveraged on banks and pharma right now.

I am thinking of getting into Green Energy and Electric Vehicles. Bought PLUG last January around 3$ and now it is 32$.. thinking of cashing out. Just bought the shanghai electric vehicle producer, NIO. Looking forward to some interesting discussions. Anyone with other ideas? ETFs or stock recommendations for growth and dividends?

IMO, diversification is the key to long-term investing. I don't own any individual stocks other than what's in my Employer Stock Purchase Program. Everything else is in mutual funds or EFT (there's some EFT funds that are like mutual funds, but because they're EFT they can be traded during the day instead of at whatever the closing price is). I have a mix of basically the Dave Ramsey "4": 25% in small cap, 25% mid-cap, 25% something else (sorry cant' remember) and 25% foreign.

My "target" (when I ran numbers into financial planning models, etc.) was 8.5% but it should be feasible to hit 10% even if you picked a mutual fund that mimics the S&P 500 (which they do have). Granted, I've got 20 years to go so there. haha

Suggestion: look at market summaries for 2020 and see which sectors (e.g. Energy, Utilities, Healthcare, Tech) have been depressed during the past year, go for the (quality) bargains. There might be some bounce left in a few high-flyers, but, like they say "Buy low, sell high." The good income/dividend stocks (e.g. VZ, T, JNJ, ABBV) are near 52 week highs - no money to be made right now - wait for a big correction - with a new president you never know when the big players will bail - they scare easily. I like Fidelity Funds b/c they have a ton of research available including "risk," "ratings" (per Morningstar,etc.), as well as all the technical info. Bon Chance and Bonne Année!

For you young folks. Be patient.

Start now, with no load mutual funds, eg Vanguard. Invest every week or every pay period. Take advantage of 401k company match. (You must) Find a way to do that! ???

Never try timing the market. Protect through diversification.

Do re-balance based on the risk that makes sense for you. Otherwise leave it alone.

Never recommend a stock to someone else or buy a stock based on some hot stick tip.

If you really want outside advice, hire a financial planner, but be very careful how you choose. I've been lucky in that regard.

Don't buy and hold your company's stock.

Kudos to you fellows banking big $$ with crypto currency. But am I the only one that envisions an impending crash? What is the underlying value if the demand plummets? There is none, right?

Kudos to you fellows banking big $$ with crypto currency. But am I the only one that envisions an impending crash? What is the underlying value if the demand plummets? There is none, right?

In 2020, there was an unprecedented level of institutional investment in BTC, unlike the 2017 rally and crash. 2017 was retail investor fueled, of which many had no business buying a digital asset such as BTC in the first place. Now fast forward to today, Paypal, Microstategy, Grayscale among other giants scooping it up. Many of these financial giants see it as a hedge against hyperinflation and enjoy the scarcity factor, as there is no BTC printer. Supply is capped at 21 million BTC (approx 4 Million is "lost" and will never again be moved).

It is normal to have corrections of 40%, weak hands sell but market dumps are quick to rebound as those institutions are ravenous and buy dips like never before. Interesting times in the digital asset world, at least for me :)

Edit: typo

Edited by Calix_V2

I like Fidelity Funds b/c they have a ton of research available including "risk," "ratings" (per Morningstar,etc.), as well as all the technical info.

Fidelity also offers four truly no-fee funds: Large cap (basically S&P without paying to license the name*), small & mid cap, a blend of those two, and international large cap.

I believe nobody else has truly no fee funds.

* Which, incidentally, has actually outperformed the S&P largely because it included Tesla during its run up.

Kevin Slater

I am a Vanguard fan boy from the Jack Bogle days.

I thought of switching to Vanguard (their Index Funds are great) but I think they just did away with Bill Pay which I rely on heavily - having my bills paid automatically each month w/out worrying about them is very convenient.

I thought of switching to Vanguard (their Index Funds are great) but I think they just did away with Bill Pay which I rely on heavily - having my bills paid automatically each month w/out worrying about them is very convenient.

Vanguard is legendary!

In my opinion, Schwab is very close to being Vanguard and Fidelity's closest competitor. If I was starting out today, didn't have the history I have with Vanguard, I would probably go with Schwab. ?‍♂️

https://investorjunkie.com/stock-brokers/vanguard-vs-fidelity-vs-charles-schwab/

1995834_0.jpg

If I was starting out today, didn't have the history I have with Vanguard, I would probably go with Schwab. ?‍♂️

https://investorjunkie.com/stock-brokers/vanguard-vs-fidelity-vs-charles-schwab/

I'm sure many here already realize that USAA turned over their entire investment arm to Schwab a few months ago......I still have my insurance with USAA and would gladly jump off a cliff if they told me to, but am not worried about Schwab for investing

I'm sure many here already realize that USAA turned over their entire investment arm to Schwab a few months ago......I still have my insurance with USAA and would gladly jump off a cliff if they told me to, but am not worried about Schwab for investing

Love USAA for insurance, but that's all I do with them.

Kevin Slater

I just ran the performance metrics on my trading account yesterday, and beat the S&P again, now 17 of the previous 19 years. Most of that success is due to purchases during and immediately after the rout, when many were panicking out of their stocks.

I took profits during the end of the year rally, especially the final week of 2020 and now, I am significantly underweight the stock market relative to the previous 5 years.

This is a great post. I’m in my mid 20s and I started investing in stocks this year. I got a 401K account through my employer almost 2 years ago.

For those who have been investing for a while, do you prefer to sell your stocks at a higher value or do you keep them for a long time before selling them.

I started investing this year. I poured some of my savings into Tesla and Apple stocks back in March along with investing into other industries to diversify my portfolio. I’ve seen a lot of growth thanks to those investments with Tesla and Apple (since those two companies have skyrocketed this past year). However, I’m hesitant to sell them now because I would like to keep my stocks for some years and grow their value.

This is a great post. I’m in my mid 20s and I started investing in stocks this year. I got a 401K account through my employer almost 2 years ago.

For those who have been investing for a while, do you prefer to sell your stocks at a higher value or do you keep them for a long time before selling them.

I started investing this year. I poured some of my savings into Tesla and Apple stocks back in March along with investing into other industries to diversify my portfolio. I’ve seen a lot of growth thanks to those investments with Tesla and Apple (since those two companies have skyrocketed this past year). However, I’m hesitant to sell them now because I would like to keep my stocks for some years and grow their value.

don't try to time the market!.....always (almost) invest for the long term......keep funding that 401k every year (company match??) and sleep at night!.....weather the ups and downs and don't worry........at your age, lean toward equities (stocks).......the stock market is at an all-time high now, so everything will show great performance now!......but be ready to see some downs, too......don't freak out when that happens......

main thing now is save, save, save......don't assume too much debt........live within your means......don't buy that douchey Escalade!! (sorry, Escalade owners!!).......invest for the long-term (10+ years).......

As others have recommended, the biggest rule of investing is diversification. If you're young and have a long time-frame for investing, such as a 401(k) or IRA, most of your money should be in low-cost diversified stock funds such as SPIDERs tied to the S&P 500. OK to have small amounts in commodities as well, maybe a tiny amount in crypto. Although owning individual stock isn't always the greatest idea, I have bought some stock in companies that I like how they do business, such as Apple, Amazon, and Starbucks, and they've done well by me. Starting out, just buy broad-based mutual funds and ETF's. You should never try to time the market, and never ever sell during a correction or crash. If you have extra cash, look at market downturns as black Friday sales.

Smart man! Start while you are young and reap the benefits later. Read this for motivation: https://www.mymoneyblog.com/investing-regularly-for-decade-2020.html

$10,000 invested every year in January from 2011 to 2020 (invested $100,000 in total) grew to $184,704.

Trading sounds sexy but buy and hold is my preference. ?

Until 2008, I managed my own investments and did decently using mostly picks from Motley fool. In early 2008, I was trading actively and making lots of money. The market volatility that started that summer scared the hell out of me, so I began staying on the sidelines.

Some time in August or early September, I read that even professional fund managers couldn't handle the volatility in the markets. I asked myself, "If people who do this for a living cant handle this market, what am I doing in it ," and in early September, I liquidated everything. The rest is history -I survived the crash without losing a cent.

Cant remember when I got back into the market, but some time after that, an extraordinarily cute, very smart young guy offered to manage my investments for me. He was under the mentorship of a much more experienced investment professional. He did an OK job, but it wasn't spectacular, although I always enjoyed gym dates and lunches with him. The boy ended up getting a job in an investment banking firm and his mentor took over my portfolio - I think he's been managing by investments for 9 or 10 years, and he just makes me piles of money.

I'm very heavily invested in tech and finance right now. I have started taking a more active interest in my portfolio, but I pretty much do whatever my advisor recommends.