Do you ever ponder as to why certain men attract you?

This topic is 759 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

...I often think that much of it has to do with what I would want as a woman intending to have children. It feels as though if I were a woman, I'd prefer a sexual partner who would be most likely to bring me healthy children, and to protect them.

I don't agree with the theory that same sex attraction is based on some innate or genetic need to have children. This implies that homosexuality is a biological or genetic mistake. I think it's actually the opposite. There's a theory among sociologists (or is it psychologists?) that same sex attraction has evolved so that individuals within a species can bond without reproducing. It aids in societal cohesion without resulting in more offspring than the species can support. Just like higher brain functions and advanced motor skills, homosexuality helps the human species thrive.

So my sexual attraction to other men is based on an evolutionary need to bond without reproducing, which leaves the question, why am I attracted to certain types of men? I don't know, but part of it might be my attraction to traits that I lack and wish I had (eg, more muscular arms and better pecs). But it's certainly not due to a subconscious need to have their babies (their sperm, yes... but not their babies).

Again, this article from the Irish Sun (Nb: I didn't know there was any sun in Ireland) shows the stereotypical image of male beauty. The man has medium toned skin and dark hair (also my type), and the woman blond with light skin. Do my preferences reflect what the media has taught me to like, or does the media reflect something we're genetically programmed to prefer?

NINTCHDBPICT000572185344.jpg?w=620

https://www.thesun.ie/fabulous/5249150/from-the-stairs-to-the-kitchen-sink-we-test-the-best-sex-hotspots-around-the-house/

Again, this article from the Irish Sun (Nb: I didn't know there was any sun in Ireland) shows the stereotypical image of male beauty. The man has medium toned skin and dark hair (also my type), and the woman blond with light skin. Do my preferences reflect what the media has taught me to like, or does the media reflect something we're genetically programmed to prefer?

NINTCHDBPICT000572185344.jpg?w=620

https://www.thesun.ie/fabulous/5249150/from-the-stairs-to-the-kitchen-sink-we-test-the-best-sex-hotspots-around-the-house/

To my eyes, neither of those people are the epitome of sex appeal. They aren't bad looking, but seem rather average to me.

To my eyes, neither of those people are the epitome of sex appeal. They aren't bad looking, but seem rather average to me.

While I agree that he's not among the most handsome men I've ever seen, he's better looking to me than most men who come up on Rentmen. If I were to see him advertising in my area, I'd probably hire him.

NINTCHDBPICT000572185557.jpg?w=620

My favorite skin tones:

tumblr_mulmcpfXbt1rne80no1_500.jpg

Skin tone isn't the most important characteristic to me, but if I were to have a sex doll made, he'd probably have a tone along the lines of 1st row, 3rd column, or 2nd row 4th column, or 3rd row 2nd column. They make those Sinthetics dolls, and I guess I'd pick Dolce...

Skin-Tones.jpg

Skin tone isn't the most important characteristic to me, but if I were to have a sex doll made, he'd probably have a tone along the lines of 1st row, 3rd column, or 2nd row 4th column, or 3rd row 2nd column. They make those Sinthetics dolls, and I guess I'd pick Dolce...

Skin-Tones.jpg

Is that like "Dulce de Leche," my favorite Haagen-Dazs ice cream flavor?

• 1 year later...

I'm attracted to so many different types of men that it's hard to say what motivates me other than my dick.  No matter how my selection of types increases, I do have an archetype - a man of average height, heavy beard, athletic build, black hair, dark complected and a very hairy chest - it's a very primal attraction.  Not surprisingly, the first man I had sex with at age 17 was exactly this type.  I don't know if I was already attracted to that type or if I was imprinted by that early experience.  I am also a sapiosexual - extremely bright men really get me.

When the appreciation is only to satisfy with physical connection, I have been drawn more to darker hairier men, usually with a bit of bulk. And large genitals

However, choosing someone to get serious with or even marry, I always chose intelligence, kindness and humor first. It never failed with my first six husbands.

7 minutes ago, jeezifonly said:

When the appreciation is only to satisfy with physical connection, I have been drawn more to darker hairier men, usually with a bit of bulk. And large genitals

However, choosing someone to get serious with or even marry, I always chose intelligence, kindness and humor first. It never failed with my first six husbands.

You don't necessarily have to settle.  My husband is the kindest man in the world, has an impeccable character and is drop-dead handsome and we've been a couple for nearly 30 years.

1 hour ago, Rudynate said:

You don't necessarily have to settle.  My husband is the kindest man in the world, has an impeccable character and is drop-dead handsome and we've been a couple for nearly 30 years.

I didn’t marry for physical attraction. We’re still getting the hang of things! It’s been 34 yrs. 

9 hours ago, jeezifonly said:

I didn’t marry for physical attraction. We’re still getting the hang of things! It’s been 34 yrs. 

I suppose everyone is different - but my belief is that if you intend to spend your life with someone and have sex with them all that time, you'd damn well better like the way they look.

15 hours ago, gallahadesquire said:

Unfortunately, I went to MIT. For sapiosexuals, you can’t beat Cantabrigians!

The pedigree isn't that important.  A well tuned-mind is. I do agree that you're more likely to find well-tuned minds at MIT and Cambridge than at a NASCAR race.

Edited by Rudynate
add content

I am simultaneously consistent and all over the map.

I am attracted to both men and women, and have no racial preferences and my age range is pretty wide. ( except when I hire ).

That said...my overriding issue is fitness. No matter what details vary in the other categories, if you're not athletic looking ( and that includes the ladies) I am not interested in the least.

I've done a few pity fucks with fat friends and it's always a struggle to keep it up.

2 hours ago, Lucky said:

I am attracted to less than 1% of the men I see. Is that normal for a gay man?

There is no "normal" or "abnormal" with respect to physical attraction. It just is. To be physically attracted to only a fraction of a percent of men you see, however, is undeniably unfortunate (unless you're mostly attracted to younger men, and don't get out of your retirement community much 😄  ).