Spell checkers can be our fiend

KrisParr
This topic is 1187 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Even though I’m not hiring right now, I still read the RM ads with regularity. I continue to be intrigued by the number of cute, seemingly intelligent young men who apparently were absent during many of their English grammar classes. Without naming names, here’s an example:

“What do you enjoy most about yourself?

My personality, a personality is built more around then just how you act its also what you do. And enjoying most my time at the Mormon Church I attened, and my part time at job at Chick Fil A. in both thoses enviroment, you are helping others and being rewarded left and right.”

So I guess I’d give him a C- at least. Spelling, run-on sentences fragments, missing words, oh my. It’s one thing to write colloquially in posts such as this one, however, when marketing oneself perhaps a little more attention to detail is in order. This same young man also wrote “persay” instead of per se which made me really chuckle. I can forgive a typo here and there. But gentlemen, spell checkers are everywhere and they can be our fiends if we just let them!

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lol, love the play on the thread title and this thread overall. it used to bother me a bit, thinking that if the provider does not spend enough quality time proofreading the profile, how much quality time would actually be spent with me? but nah - would just inadvertently be cutting a bunch of potentially hot men from my buddylist. and eh, they may not be all that good with english, but maybe they have always been excellent with physical education, so would give them more than a pass...would give them my mouth, my hole...whatever ???

Irregardless: here’s what the urban dictionary says about it:

Used by people who ignorantly mean to say regardless. According to webster, it is a word, but since the prefix "ir" and the suffx "less" both mean "not or with" they cancel each other out, so what you end up with is regard. When you use this to try to say you don't care about something, you end up saying that you do. Of course everyone knows what you mean to say and only a pompous,rude asshole will correct you.

Wife: "Irregardless is not a word, dummy"

Husband: "Kiss my ass bitch! I'm still going to the strip club tonight!"

I would never say irregardless just like I would never say ”conversate”. I found this which may help clear things up:

Dictionaries today are descriptive. They don’t tell you how to use the language or which words you should and shouldn’t use. Descriptive dictionaries simply note the ways language is being used by people. That’s how words like emoji, clickbait, and meme can get in there, and that’s how irregardless got in there as well.

Granted, lexicographers have a way of noting that some of those, let’s call them unusual words, are not words an educated language user would use in formal discussions. Dictionaries add a “nonstandard” tag to such words, and they stay nonstandard until they gain enough traction to be included among the “standard” words. In case you’re wondering, irregardless is a nonstandard word.

"inflammable" is a favorite of mine. The verb is "enflame", so "inflammable" means (or meant) "can catch on fire". The "In" confused so many people that "flammable" came into existence.

I took a grammar test in the early 90's that said the rule about not ending a sentence with a preposition was obsolete. I disagreed :-)

Thanks for the link. Interesting read. In it, there are a few quotations from amateur grammarians like this one:

“If it wasn't done on purpose, I would suggest Patrick go back to English Grammar 101 before he writes his next column.”

I know we’re talking about prepositions, but it made me chuckle, however, when the writer fucks up the correct use of the subjunctive mood. “If it weren’t done ... “ I love the subjunctive - always makes me think of something sinister or dirty. Say the word slowly and put emphasis on “junct” - oh yeah, baby.

• 2 months later...

Spell checking does not compensate for horrible grammar.

" Hello guys I am manny.. I am ready and available to give you the best of your experiences...we can have a lot of fun, I am very professional, educated, masculine and whit me there it´s not rush... I am available any time form massages and more for in calls and out calls...ready to please all your fantasies call me to have fun "

Houston, we have a SERIOUS problem. Anyone remember their seventh grade grammar? I loved sentence diagramming.

A pet peeve of mine seems to be acceptable now. “Irregardless” is now recognized by Merriam-Webster dictionary as a word that can be used interchangeably with “regardless”. I guess times change.

This is NOT acceptable or correct, and never should be. Screw Merriam-Webster for selling out! They have "undoubtably" lost their way. ?

According to webster, it is a word, but since the prefix "ir" and the suffx "less" both mean "not or with" they cancel each other out, so what you end up with is regard. When you use this to try to say you don't care about something, you end up saying that you do.

Similar to my pet peeve: I could care less.

Every time I hear someone say this, I just want to respond with, "So you do care about it, then?"