Word of the day

RealAvalon
This topic is 1153 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

I still have wet dreams.

Unfortunately, I haven't had a wet dream since LBJ was president. If I had one, I'd probably shoot sawdust.

But we digress.

Seems to me that Sophomania is not that much different from the often-in-the-news Dunning-Kruger Effect:

In the field of psychology, the DunningKruger effect is a cognitive bias in which people with low ability at a task overestimate their ability. It is related to the cognitive bias of illusory superiority and comes from the inability of people to recognize their lack of ability.

(Trying very hard here not to mention names and thus make this a political commentary.)

Unfortunately, I haven't had a wet dream since LBJ was president. If I had one, I'd probably shoot sawdust.

But we digress.

Seems to me that Sophomania is not that much different from the often-in-the-news Dunning-Kruger Effect:

In the field of psychology, the DunningKruger effect is a cognitive bias in which people with low ability at a task overestimate their ability. It is related to the cognitive bias of illusory superiority and comes from the inability of people to recognize their lack of ability.

(Trying very hard here not to mention names and thus make this a political commentary.)

I can feel your discretion ;)

But we digress.

I’m strumped; have no idea to whom thou reference.

The word ‘miniature’ is not etymologically related to words like ‘minimum’ or ‘minuscule’. It's origin is from the name of a bright red pigment 'minium'. It was used in the making of medieval manuscript illustrations, which were quite small.

I would have thought it was derived from the Latin root de minimus.

In this election season it might be interesting to note the origin of the word "candidate." Perhaps there are those among us who had the opportunity (opportunity deriving from the Latin phrase, ob portum veniens "coming toward a port" which refers to a favorable wind blowing ships into the harbor -- think of an opportunity as something a good wind blows your way) to study Latin in high school. If so, you may remember that the Latin word for "bright white" was candida - and white was the color that Romans associated with honesty. That's why candidate and the word "candid" share the same cognate. In Rome, those running for office would wear bright white togas to remind people how honest they are. Ironic that so many "candidates" these days are less than candid or honest.