Word of the day

RealAvalon
This topic is 1184 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm thinking some Indigenous language in Latin America, from the video.

I did provide a link...I should have mentioned the link describes the orgins

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mamihlapinatapai

The word Mamihlapinatapai is derived from the Yaghan language of Tierra del Fuego, listed in The Guinness Book of World Records as the "most succinct word", and is considered one of the hardest words to translate. It allegedly refers to "A look that without words is shared by two people who want to initiate something, but neither start" or "looking at each other hoping that either will offer to do something which both parties desire but are unwilling to do."[1]

• 2 weeks later...

sonder: the realization that each random passerby is living a life as vivid and complex as your own—populated with their own ambitions, friends, routines, worries, and inherited craziness—an epic story that continues invisibly around you like an anthill sprawling deep underground, with elaborate passageways to thousands of other lives that you’ll never know existed, in which you might appear only once, as an extra sipping coffee in the background, as a blur of traffic passing on the highway, as a lighted window at dusk.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I was watching Heathers the other night, and I was chagrined to see that though the word “myriad” was misused in a suicide note, a teacher remarked that she was impressed to see that the student who was believed to have written it used it correctly. The number associated with said word is 10,000. You’d never say “a 10,000 of problems.”

I looked up the word, merely intending to glance at the definition I already knew just to validate my smug self-righteousness. As it transpired, I was left flabbergasted (the following is from Merriam-Webster):

Recent criticism of the use of myriad as a noun, both in the plural form myriads and in the phrase a myriad of, seems to reflect a mistaken belief that the word was originally and is still properly only an adjective. As the entries here show, however, the noun is in fact the older form, dating to the 16th century. The noun myriad has appeared in the works of such writers as Milton (plural myriads) and Thoreau (a myriad of), and it continues to occur frequently in reputable English. There is no reason to avoid it.

I am shaken and humbled.

I was watching Heathers the other night, and I was chagrined to see that though the word “myriad” was misused in a suicide note, a teacher remarked that she was impressed to see that the student who was believed to have written it used it correctly. The number associated with said word is 10,000. You’d never say “a 10,000 of problems.”

I looked up the word, merely intending to glance at the definition I already knew just to validate my smug self-righteousness. As it transpired, I was left flabbergasted (the following is from Merriam-Webster):

Recent criticism of the use of myriad as a noun, both in the plural form myriads and in the phrase a myriad of, seems to reflect a mistaken belief that the word was originally and is still properly only an adjective. As the entries here show, however, the noun is in fact the older form, dating to the 16th century. The noun myriad has appeared in the works of such writers as Milton (plural myriads) and Thoreau (a myriad of), and it continues to occur frequently in reputable English. There is no reason to avoid it.

I am shaken and humbled.

Don’t be. Language is a living thing. I still am jolted when I see access and now surface used as verbs.