What do we know about when and how Montreal clubs will reopen?

newatthis

What is the well-known breakfast joint on the north side of the street near Stock/Campus?? Had good luck there several mornings in a row in 2016. And fish and chips at something like "Couvier 21"??? Are they both still there?? Thanks for the update.

Edited by azdr0710

What is the well-known breakfast joint on the north side of the street near Stock/Campus?? Had good luck there several mornings in a row in 2016. And fish and chips at something like "Couvier 21"??? Are they both still there?? Thanks for the update.

Are you thinking of Cora's. They serve a great breakfast, with fresh fruit with many of the dishes.

Personally don't like fish & chips so never even noticed it and if I did, it didn't register.

Are you thinking of Cora's. They serve a great breakfast, with fresh fruit with many of the dishes.

Personally don't like fish & chips so never even noticed it and if I did, it didn't register.

yes, Cora's is the breakfast place....thanks....I remember very friendly, unfussy staff and great food

I figured out the fish and chips place is Comptoir 21, but the St. C. location is evidently closed and they now only seem to be in a neighborhood called Verdun on Rue Wellington....

yes, Cora's is the breakfast place....thanks....I remember very friendly, unfussy staff and great food

I figured out the fish and chips place is Comptoir 21, but the St. C. location is evidently closed and they now only seem to be in a neighborhood called Verdun on Rue Wellington....

Cora's: So much fruit with every dish! It's great!

Cora's: So much fruit with every dish! It's great!

I would take my brother and sister-in-law there when they visited town.

But I also enjoyed the little restaurant on Wolfe Street just south of Ste Catherine, which also served a great breakfast, more traditional Quebecois fare. It was a great place to take sleep over guests of the male sex and a gathering spot for breakfast with gay friends who lived in the Gay Village along with myself. I think it was called Resto du Village. They served all three meals, breakfast, lunch and dinner. And were licensed to sell alcohol.

I imagine small places like that are at risk of going under during the lockdowns we have endured.

• 3 weeks later...

The Canada-U.S. border's been shut down for a year — and there's no reopening plan

CBC News

At the beginning of the shutdown it was Canadians clamouring for he border closure as the infections were more rampant in the US. The tide is now starting to shift and with the US rolling out vaccines at triple or quadruple the rate in Canada, the shoe will soon be on the other foot.

By May it appears that the US (and Canada) will be using Covid passports for international travel. More Canadians will be excluded from travel simply because they cannot get the vaccines, whereas the Americans will be allowed into Canada.

I predict there is going to be considerable outrage in Canada against our government for allowing this to happen.

At the beginning of the shutdown it was Canadians clamouring for he border closure as the infections were more rampant in the US. The tide is now starting to shift and with the US rolling out vaccines at triple or quadruple the rate in Canada, the shoe will soon be on the other foot.

By May it appears that the US (and Canada) will be using Covid passports for international travel. More Canadians will be excluded from travel simply because they cannot get the vaccines, whereas the Americans will be allowed into Canada.

I predict there is going to be considerable outrage in Canada against our government for allowing this to happen.

What about air crossings?

What about air crossings?

They've tightened up on these in the last month. Now any returning travelers who are resident in Canada must be quarantined in government approved hotels at their own expense in only four cities where they can land for up to three days and receipt of a negative test done on arrival before they are allowed to go home to complete their 14 day isolation. If they test positive they must stay in quarantine. They also need a test done no later than 3 days before they depart on their trip to Canada which must be negative.

Non essential non-Canadian travelers are still excluded.

I had a condo there for 13 years during its heyday and then we called it the Gay Village in English but I often referred to it as Le Village when speaking French and everyone knew what I was referring to. To me it's not a big deal.

It does reflect the fact that the demographics have changed considerably, in my observation of the place since I sold in 2010. I've been back many times and almost always stayed in Le Village at a hotel. Many of the gay-owned businesses were replaced over time by chains such as Starbucks, where there used to be a gay restaurant and a gay owned deli next door owned by the same person. The odd time I have stopped in for a coffee the crowd was mixed and more of a professional gang, both men and women on their tablets and cell phones and drinking latte.

Still a few of the die-hards remain, including the gay saunas and the male strip clubs.

At some point, I hope they start letting Americans in with proof of vaccination. :)

It may be one, possibility two depending on the categories satisfied, of three categorical options: inoculation immunity, natural immunity thru recovery post-exposure, negative CoV viral test. The leadership is not keen on the vaccination passport idea per se, but will likely follow suit with the other six G7 nations particularly for travel documentation.

I am becoming less optimistic about travelling to Montreal this summer as international travel looks like one of the last restrictions to be lifted, but will certainly make plans for 2022 as soon as possible as I expect demand for travel to be high.