Birthday "outing" on Facebook?

This topic is 1446 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Not that it's my birthday this month, but I do get somewhat distressed at the happy birthday wishes I receive on Facebook, when the time comes. In effect, it seems to "out" my birthday to the world, which I might want to keep private. If someone wants to wish me a happy birthday, I prefer receiving any wishes my e-mail, text, or even regular mail. Do any of you also feel uncomfortable with birthday wishes made on Facebook? Is there a way to delete those posts?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not that it's my birthday this month, but I do get somewhat distressed at the happy birthday wishes I receive on Facebook, when the time comes. In effect, it seems to "out" my birthday to the world, which I might want to keep private. If someone wants to wish me a happy birthday, I prefer receiving any wishes my e-mail, text, or even regular mail. Do any of you also feel uncomfortable with birthday wishes made on Facebook? Is there a way to delete those posts?

I actually just deleted my FB account, but I hid my birthday many years ago. I did it somewhere under the profile settings, either by just deleting it, or maybe there was a trick, like setting it to June 40 or July 0 or something impossible. Anyway, fiddle with your personal acct info, and you'll find a way. I've known quite a few people who hid theirs also.

If you go to your profile settings and go to the "Contact and Basic Info" section where you have your birthdate, you can toggle the privacy to "only me." Then you won't receive the notifications since nobody will know it's your birthday. I did the same on my profile a while back for the same reason.

I actually just deleted my FB account, but I hid my birthday many years ago. I did it somewhere under the profile settings, either by just deleting it, or maybe there was a trick, like setting it to June 40 or July 0 or something impossible. Anyway, fiddle with your personal acct info, and you'll find a way. I've known quite a few people who hid theirs also.

Well, the wishes I get are from people who know me well. They don't get my birthday from Facebook, but just from the fact that I get those birthday wishes, anyone who looks up my name (even though I don't contribute) can figure out my birthday, or pretty close. If I delete my Facebook account, can I still contact others on theirs?

Facebook will notify me of friend's birthdays in my feed and suggest I wish them a happy birthday, I assume it's doing the same for my friends on my birthday. I'm not bothered by the Happy Birthday posts but I've always felt them a bit impersonal, especially from people who I think really wouldn't know my birthday without that notification. It kind of feels like "minimal effort". For close friends, I'll wish them a Happy Birthday some other way.

I don’t have my birthday listed. I feel Facebook invites and congrats are not very personal, so i don’t even bother responding to them unless it is someone i communicate with on a regular basis.

I have used Faceplant far less over the last couple of years, but when I did use it there were two groups of people who would routinely wish me a happy birthday. One was members of a gay camping group here in NSW who I knew well from our various outings at the beach or in the bush, and the other people I knew from my service in a USAF unit in Hawai'i in the 1980s. I really appreciated the thoughts when they came in from both groups.

I, for one, actually enjoy the birthday wishes on Facebook. Somehow it lets me know that people I don't seen very often take a few moments and let me know they are thinking of me. Quite a few of my Facebook "friends" are extended family that I enjoy keeping in touch with and old friends I've made along the way. I also use Facebook to send birthday wishes to them when it is their turn.

I removed/only me my birthday years ago. FB still alerts me about other friends’ birthdays and I can choose whether or not to acknowledge them. For my birthday, I always thought it was rather insincere to get FB wishes from “friends” I hardly know or remember. But, I stay on FB because I enjoy the newsfeed. Just like I enjoy reading the Forum.

My birthday is hidden on FB. But even if it wasn't I wouldn't mind public wishes. I'm rarely on FB any more. It no longer serves a positive function. The only reason why I havent totally cut the cord is because a few games I play are unfortunately connected to the site.

Hugs,

Greg

I don't understand how some places, like one of my Visa card suppliers or my auto dealer, know my birthday, but they always email birthday greetings.

I have never even visited Facebook.

For the auto dealer, did they promise some sort of free service on your birthday? They usually ask for just the month and date.