Living alone and wanting a dog during COVID

jonnychgo
This topic is 1372 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

So gents, I am a single man who lives alone. I have wanted a dog for a long time but when i was working it was too hard with my schedule. I am now retired and was about to volunteer at a no kill shelter but COVID has postponed that opportunity. I feel like I could really use the emotional support of a dog, however, I am wondering if wise with this virus raging. Say I adopted/fostered a dog and caught COVID. Who would take care of the dog (i.e. walks, etc.). I suppose this scenario could be applied to if I got cancer, etc with the exception of being able to hire a dog walker.

So i guess my question is, any single men out there with a dog and if so, are you making contingency plans in case you become infected with COVID?

Thanks

Jon

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The real issue is, that if I become infected, NO ONE should be allowed to come to my house to fetch the dog to take him for walks, etc. While it appears that dogs do not GET COVID, I think it can reside in their fur, etc. And if I am hospitalized?

Perhaps have a few boarding options as a contingency plan if friends or family are not viable options for prolonged housing of a pet, as well as as planned precautions such as bathing of your furry friend between care and living situations.

If you're fostering, isn't the contingency plan just to return it to the shelter it came from?

You are probably correct, however, I also do not own a car so not sure how I would return the pet, plus if infected, supposed to quarantine for at least 14 days.

My parents or my sister would take care of my baby for me if I got sick and died. Begrudgingly, probably... he is such an excitable little squirt. I think he gets on their nerves somewhat.

What breeds do you like?

Finally, a topic I enjoy. Forget politics! Let's all talk doggies!

Doggies! I love Siberian Huskies but really any pupper works for me. Anytime I see a dog when I'm walking around I immediately am drawn to them, and them to me. Nothing brings a bigger smile to my face than a happy pup in the park chasing a squirrel or a ball.

Edited by Guest

They say dogs don't get COVID, but I don't know if someone petting my dog can transmit it to her fur where I'd catch it. I've been discouraging people from petting her when we're out on walks. Most people understand.

I did skim an article that warned about getting a puppy during quarantine, and taking steps to make sure the dog in its impressionable puppyhood didn't get accustomed to having a person home all day.

So gents, I am a single man who lives alone. I have wanted a dog for a long time but when i was working it was too hard with my schedule. I am now retired and was about to volunteer at a no kill shelter but COVID has postponed that opportunity. I feel like I could really use the emotional support of a dog, however, I am wondering if wise with this virus raging. Say I adopted/fostered a dog and caught COVID. Who would take care of the dog (i.e. walks, etc.). I suppose this scenario could be applied to if I got cancer, etc with the exception of being able to hire a dog walker.

So i guess my question is, any single men out there with a dog and if so, are you making contingency plans in case you become infected with COVID?

Thanks

Jon

Those are the very concerns I had had also as a single man living alone. I had several dogs when I was in a relationship for 22 years, but sadly lost my partner and all the pets. Since then I have wanted a dog, but worried about care etc. should I not be able. But I heard the pounds are offering up pets for foster care and was thinking of that as a temporary companion, but then knowing I would get too attached and want it permanantly. I have tabled my thought on this...

Cats seem to be prone to covid19 though it is not thought that animals can pass it to humans. As for dogs, at one one dog was tested and found to be positive but why it was tested and if the test was reliable, I have no knowledge of that. I have made arrangements for my dogs should I get sick or pass.

I think being home with a dog is great but you do need to watch out for separation anxiety. If you do decide to get a dog, I would make sure you left the house for some time during the day to get it used to being alone. Or get two and they will have each other.

I have had as many as seven dogs at once and they Ade the most difficult times of my life bearable.

I've really been enjoying long walks through a nearly deserted Central Park with my pup. And I'm glad for the company while stuck in the apartment.

Several dog owners in the building have agreed that we'll each step up to the plate if one of us becomes unable to care for their mutt. (Well, mine is probably the only mutt. The rest are likely purebreds in this bougie building.) So I assume I'd either grab theirs for the duration, or them mine.

I've read that the virus wouldn't live as long an a porous surface like dog fur as it would on, say, metal or plastic. I guess if I were truly concerned I could rush the new foster dog to the tub and bathe her.

But like others, my vote is go for it.

Kevin Slater

Lots of people right now are adopting dogs from shelters, reasoning that it is an ideal time to get a dog and train it, as well as have companionship when one is sheltering in place. Therefore, many shelters are running out of adoptable dogs. What worries me is all the people who have to go back to work at some point and then discover they don't want to leave the dog at home alone while they are at work and when they want to go out and play after work. I fear that a lot of animals who have become bonded with owners who are there 24/7 will then be returned to the shelters. I don't think that adopting a dog is something that should be done without careful forethought and commitment for the longer haul. I think you are right to be concerned about the issues you have mentioned.

Meanwhile, my two cats are curled up next to me vying for pats and pets and scratches. Good thing I don't have three of them. I'd run out of hands!

That's another way of saying "foster or adopt a couple of kittens." Many cats bond with their people (all of mine have), but typically kittens and very young cats are more resilient when it comes to leaving their human.

You are probably correct, @Charlie .

Too many people adopt dogs that shouldn't, such as wanting a chihuahua when Paris Hilton had her chihuchua prop. A coworker picked one up, how her two daughters were going to just die if they couldn't have a chihuahua, they're so cute.

But a silver lining might be how foster homes are needed for temporary housing, so this is a period where that need is served.

My advice is to live your life and get the dog. The fact that you're concerned about 'the possibilities' speaks to your character. God forbid anything happens to your health, but I suspect your kindness will be returned from someone equally as thoughtful. I can think of a dozen friends/ acquaintances with dogs that in an emergency... I'd be there to extend assistance. I doubt that I'm on THEIR radar. Support often comes from the least expected. Trust it. Go for it.

Cats are also a great option as they are lower maintenance and equally as affectionate as dogs. Plus, when the pandemic is over, you can still go out and not feel guilty about not "walking the cat". I was never a cat person...always had dogs growing up, but when a friend asked me to house sit his cat, i fell in love and now I have 2 cats and a dog.