The worst has not begun and today, I found it hard to go on.

purplekow
This topic is 1447 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I do not usually have a difficult time coping. Life is hard and mine has been easier than most. But today, I have just hit the wall. Working in a New Jersey Hospital is not nearly as difficult right now as working in a NYC Hospital. We have most equipment. We have beds. We have staff. We have patients and each day we have more and more patients. Right now the numbers are not overwhelming but they are increasing and more and more compromises are being made. Most of the staff are just doing their job. But there is an air of anxiety and trepidation hanging around every corner. There are hollowed shells walking the halls. Fear and uncertainty is everywhere. There are no laughs not even at jokes with a dark humor,

I went into work today and started the day as part of a physician conference call. The conference call was to inform us that the governor has given physicians immunity. This is not being widely publicized. Essentially, within the scope of good medical practice, we cannot be be sued for actions that previously would have been not only malpractice but quite possibly criminal. That is, we were informed of the plans for the upcoming ventilator shortage. It is not first come first served as it is in the toilet paper aisle. There is no hoarding or buying for a friend, When the respirators are 90% in use, which is the case in several hospitals in New Jersey, then patients are assigned a color code. Green patients are those that get to keep the respirators. Yellow are the patients about whom clinical status and general condition are favorable. Red are the patients that are first in line to have their respirators removed should others in higher categories need them. Blue, well blue never get the respirator from the onset.

I could barely contain my anger, fear, frustration, and utter disappointment. We knew this was coming, I knew it was coming but now it is here and it is a palpable real pain, physical, mental, emotional and spiritual. We were given guidelines as to what to tell family members when it is time to take their loved one off the ventilator. They do no have the final word. There is an appeals process, but that process can only last 30 minutes while the patient waiting for the ventilator is manually ventilated, Two more hours will be needed to clean the ventilator and reequip it.

Three people will take turns manually ventilating the patient, Oh did I mention that once you are assigned a color, the person coming off the respirator would have had to be on the respirator for 5 days, so theoretically long enough to turn the corner and get themselves into a higher color group. However, the decision as to who comes off the respirator is made by random computer selection of those in the lowest category.

This is not to say that the assignment of the color group is random.

Patient's are stratified by a variety of factors, age NOT being one of them.

Today, I had a new patient with possible Covid admitted to my service. She is 87 with a touch of dementia and lives at her daughter's home with a loving family. I spoke with her daughter on the phone to get information about her mother. She told me to try and do everything to help her mother but that if it was clear that there was no hope of her returning to her previous level of functioning, or close to it, that her mother had decided long ago that she did not want to live that kind of life.

When I went into see the patient, I gowned and gloved and on the way in , I noticed her lunch tray and decided to give a hand to the other staff by bringing it in. PPE (personal protection equipment ) is still sufficient but not plentiful so my act saved one set. I brought her lunch tray in with me and saw a pleasant looking woman who appeared about 15 years younger than her age. She had eyes closed and did not respond when I called her name. I put down her lunch tray next to her untouched breakfast tray and did my exam. She appeared to be comfortable and was definitely someone who was doing much better than her numbers (lab values vital signs and other measurable qualities). I went to leave and the empty breakfast tray and the new lunch tray just haunted me. I opened the packet for her utensils and the vanilla pudding put a bit on the spoon and placed it by her lips. She opened her lips and took a taste. Then another. Some of her fruit cup and then most of her mashed potatoes followed. A bit of meatloaf and then the rest of her pudding. She said nothing. She did not open her eyes, even as I tried to coax her to do so. Finally, on a bit of the meatloaf.

She refused to open. Another offer and another refusal and so I knew after 30 minutes of being fed, she was not taking any more. I said out loud to her, I guess that is it for now and as I left I heard her faintly say: Thank you. I turned and her eyes were open and then, a second later, they closed again. For that second they were so clear and blue and aware and I imagined her quite the beauty in her youth. After that second, she was back in that space where she was when I walked in, but she had let me know she was there.

Next week, her condition may worsen and she will be a blue. She won't get a chance at a life saving machine, She will likely pass alone in a hospital with a loving daughter sitting at home hoping for all the world for her mother to get better. Even if I could do more medically, which I cannot, I could not alter her course. Even now, the most I could do for her he be present, give her some pudding and hope that time and some combination of medications we are giving her make a difference,

I do not usually have difficulty coping, but today I hit the wall and next week this day will be the good old days when I had 30 minutes to spend with one patient.

Edited by Guy Fawkes

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do not usually have a difficult time coping. Life is hard and mine has been easier than most. But today, I have just hit the wall. Working in a New Jersey Hospital is not nearly as difficult right now as working in a NYC Hospital. We have most equipment. We have beds. We have staff. We have patients and each day we have more and more patients. Right now the numbers are not overwhelming but they are increasing and more and more compromises are being made. Most of the staff are just doing their job. But there is an air of anxiety and trepidation hanging around every corner. There are hollowed shells walking the halls. Fear and uncertainty is everywhere. There are no laughs not even at jokes with a dark humor,

I went into work today and started the day as part of a physician conference call. The conference call was to inform us that the governor has given physicians immunity. This is not being widely publicized. Essentially, within the scope of good medical practice, we cannot be be sued for actions that previously would have been not only malpractice but quite possibly criminal. That is, we were informed of the plans for the upcoming ventilator shortage. It is not first come first served as it is in the toilet paper aisle. There is no hoarding or buying for a friend, When the respirators are 90% in use, which is the case in several hospitals in New Jersey, then patients are assigned a color code. Green patients are those that get to keep the respirators. Yellow are the patients about whom clinical status and general condition are favorable. Red are the patients that are first in line to have their respirators removed should others in higher categories need them. Blue, well blue never get the respirator from the onset.

I could barely contain my anger, fear, frustration, and utter disappointment. We knew this was coming, I knew it was coming but now it is here and it is a palpable real pain, physical, mental, emotional and spiritual. We were given guidelines as to what to tell family members when it is time to take their loved one off the ventilator. They do no have the final word. There is an appeals process, but that process can only last 30 minutes while the patient waiting for the ventilator is manually ventilated, Two more hours will be needed to clean the ventilator and reequip it. Three people will take turns manually ventilating the patient, Oh did I mention that once you are assigned a color, the person coming off the respirator would have had to be on the respirator for 5 days, so theoretically long enough to turn the corner and get themselves into a higher color group. However, the decision as to who comes off the respirator is made by random computer selection of those in the lowest category.

This is not to say that the assignment of the color group is random. Patient's are stratified by a variety of factors, age NOT being one of them.

Today, I had a new patient with possible Covid admitted to my service. She is 87 with a touch of dementia and lives at her daughter's home with a loving family. I spoke with her daughter on the phone to get information about her mother. She told me to try and do everything to help her mother but that if it was clear that there was no hope of her returning to her previous level of functioning, or close to it, that her mother had decided long ago that she did not want to live that kind of life.

When I went into see the patient, I gowned and gloved and on the way in , I noticed her lunch tray and decided to give a hand to the other staff by bringing it in. PPE (personal protection equipment ) is still sufficient but not plentiful so my act saved one set. I brought her lunch tray in with me and saw a pleasant looking woman who appeared about 15 years younger than her age. She had eyes closed and did not respond when I called her name. I put down her lunch tray next to her untouched breakfast tray and did my exam. She appeared to be comfortable and was definitely someone who was doing much better than her numbers (lab values vital signs and other measurable qualities). I went to leave and the empty breakfast tray and the new lunch tray just haunted me. I opened the packet for her utensils and the vanilla pudding put a bit on the spoon and placed it by her lips. She opened her lips and took a taste. Then another. Some of her fruit cup and then most of her mashed potatoes followed. A bit of meatloaf and then the rest of her pudding. She said nothing. She did not open her eyes, even as I tried to coax her to do so. Finally, on a bit of the meatloaf. She refused to open. Another offer and another refusal and so I knew after 30 minutes of being fed, she was not taking any more. I said out loud to her, I guess that is it for now and as I left I heard her faintly say: Thank you. I turned and her eyes were open and then, a second later, they closed again. For that second they were so clear and blue and aware and I imagined her quite the beauty in her youth. After that second, she was back in that space where she was when I walked in, but she had let me know she was there.

Next week, her condition may worsen and she will be a blue. She won't get a chance at a life saving machine, She will likely pass alone in a hospital with a loving daughter sitting at home hoping for all the world for her mother to get better. Even if I could do more medically, which I cannot, I could not alter her course. Even now, the most I could do for her he be present, give her some pudding and hope that time and some combination of medications we are giving her make a difference,

I do not usually have difficulty coping, but today I hit the wall and next week this day will be the good old days when I had 30 minutes to spend with one patient.

Your feelings are understandable. I can't even imagine what it must be like. It's as if we are all in a science fiction movie that we never auditioned for.

I recently came across an opinion piece in the NYT that I agree with. The blame that we are in this fix regarding short supplies is due to government and businesses prizing efficiency as the highest good. Unfortunately efficiency doesn't respond well to crisis because surpluses aren't considered efficient. My thoughts are with you and all the first line responders out there.

If I end up surviving this, I wonder if I will see changes in business and government so that hopefully we are more prepared next time.

Gman

Wow... thank you for sharing this with the group. There are no words to adequately express the appreciation due to you and all the other front line workers. I know you aren't looking for accolades, but I think you and every other front line worker deserves to be commended and recognized. You are being put in an impossible situation with respect to supply chains and decision-making, and my heart goes out to you for what you are enduring now and will be for the coming weeks. My hope is that if this woman does indeed succumb to this pandemic, that her dementia will protect her from realizing her family is not around her. I saw news reports here in Canada that families are now using walkie talkies to say goodbye to relatives in hospital. Heartbreaking. Please take care of yourself. This is a horrendous situation but you will get through. Blessings to you and everyone fighting this pandemic on the front lines.

I could barely contain my anger, fear, frustration, and utter disappointment. We knew this was coming, I knew it was coming but now it is here and it is a palpable real pain, physical, mental, emotional and spiritual. We were given guidelines as to what to tell family members when it is time to take their loved one off the ventilator. They do no have the final word. There is an appeals process, but that process can only last 30 minutes while the patient waiting for the ventilator is manually ventilated, Two more hours will be needed to clean the ventilator and reequip it. Three people will take turns manually ventilating the patient, Oh did I mention that once you are assigned a color, the person coming off the respirator would have had to be on the respirator for 5 days, so theoretically long enough to turn the corner and get themselves into a higher color group. However, the decision as to who comes off the respirator is made by random computer selection of those in the lowest category.

This is not to say that the assignment of the color group is random. Patient's are stratified by a variety of factors, age NOT being one of them.

When I went into see the patient, I gowned and gloved and on the way in , I noticed her lunch tray and decided to give a hand to the other staff by bringing it in. PPE (personal protection equipment ) is still sufficient but not plentiful so my act saved one set. I brought her lunch tray in with me and saw a pleasant looking woman who appeared about 15 years younger than her age. She had eyes closed and did not respond when I called her name. I put down her lunch tray next to her untouched breakfast tray and did my exam. She appeared to be comfortable and was definitely someone who was doing much better than her numbers (lab values vital signs and other measurable qualities). I went to leave and the empty breakfast tray and the new lunch tray just haunted me. I opened the packet for her utensils and the vanilla pudding put a bit on the spoon and placed it by her lips. She opened her lips and took a taste. Then another. Some of her fruit cup and then most of her mashed potatoes followed. A bit of meatloaf and then the rest of her pudding. She said nothing. She did not open her eyes, even as I tried to coax her to do so. Finally, on a bit of the meatloaf. She refused to open. Another offer and another refusal and so I knew after 30 minutes of being fed, she was not taking any more. I said out loud to her, I guess that is it for now and as I left I heard her faintly say: Thank you. I turned and her eyes were open and then, a second later, they closed again. For that second they were so clear and blue and aware and I imagined her quite the beauty in her youth. After that second, she was back in that space where she was when I walked in, but she had let me know she was there.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

So sad. Brought me back to when my 92 year-old mother was dying. She was at Robert Wood Johnson Hospital in New Brunswick!

You're a good man Purplekow!. Thank you for all you do.

Thank you for your work and other medical staff all over. Your interaction with the woman mentioned had an impact far beyond anything measurable or understandable. Tough times and decisions are ahead, but don't forget all the immeasurable positive impacts you are able to have on patients and their families, even simply by care and dedication in the face of travesty. Keep strong and keep being that human warrior that we all need.

You have to be proud of what you CAN do and to release the pain about what you cannot do. So many fucked-up decisions have brought us to this point, so many variables had to fall in just such ways, it can drive you insane with pain and anger. In the end, though, you can only control your own reactions to the horrors and injustices you face. You must go to bed satisfied every night that you did your best, and the nights you're not satisfied, say your prayers, forgive yourself, and get up and do it again the next day. We all owe that to each other- we are not alone, and need to recognize that in an imperfect world, your best is perfect enough.

@purplekow I shed a wee tear both for your patient and for gratitude that their are still caring healers like you doing what we civilians can no longer do.

In decades to come there will be ample time diagnose what went wrong and to assess blame. Right now the best that we can do is to stay healthy and to do what we still can to support you and your colleagues in what you do. For some of us that might even include prayer.

And then we can get back to the titillation we all seek.

Peace

@purplekow my grandmother is 96 and has Alzheimer’s. She lives with my parents and they have decided to keep her at home as long as they can manage it. Our fear has always been that she will not be treated with dignity. Your story really touched me and I hope that someone like you will show her the kindness you did to your patient if she ever ends up in a hospital alone...

Completely understand.

One of the things I hate most about this virus is that "you die alone". Family and friends aren't allowed around and everyone you see is in haz-mat suits and head gear with faces also shielded behind goggles. I've even seen pictures where the patient is also enclosed in a plastic body bubble with arm sleeves for medical attendants. So horrible I know it takes a toll.

PK, I can only echo the thanks and understanding that others have expressed. It is the caregivers and first responders who risk their own lives in service to others who will be the heroes of this tragedy.

I have it easy compared with those on the front lines of this war but to you, and other caregivers who may be here, know that we appreciate your sacrifice.

If you’re going thru hell, keep going.

PK thank you for sharing this. I do not know you and can only imagine what it is like to deal with this on a daily basis without it weighing heavily on you. You do need to know how appreciated the front line staff like you are by so many of us during this horrible time that we are going through. I do hope you have some supports that can help lean on during this time. Take care of yourself.

Thanks for sharing this heartbreaking story. I have always applaud a doctor's career (my brother is a surgeon) and can guess the mental agony under these situations in spite of years of training and having seen it all. I sincerely hope to God that you have the mental strength and wish you well.

I had heard an audio recording from a nurse who works in an Italian hospital and she said that the unpublished information to hospital staff was to just keep all very sick people above 80 years comfortable and use the ventilator on potentially savable younger patients. She recalled the situation when the first time she had to remove the ventilator from an older patient and her experience of the lady looking at her as she was removing the equipment. She said that by the time the equipment was ready to be used on the next patient the other lady was already gone. She said that all she could do was pray to God.

Thank you for sharing your experience. God bless you

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

So sad. Brought me back to when my 92 year-old mother was dying. She was at Robert Wood Johnson Hospital in New Brunswick!

You're a good man Purplekow!. Thank you for all you do.

@Eggman

Same.......

My mother passed away in 2014 at Robert Wood Johnson NB at 89 from complications of dementia and CHD (congestive heart disease)

Whether it's Covid-19 or dementia or something else all deaths are heartbreaking

@purplekow

Thank you for all that your doing and please stay safe and be well ???

If it helps, your care for others will forever be remembered and appreciated. I have lost those I loved dearly, and still remember those who took care of them, and though cut short, their last years, months, and days were better for me, them, us because people like you cared so much. The magnitude of the toll of all this will probably never be fully known to people not directly affected, but your reaching out to let us know is a good start. I hope it has helped you.

Edited by bashful

PK, what an extremely difficult situation to be in… In terms of living or dying, a portion of the decision is based on a computer algorithm and stratified by a variety of factors, but it’s humans that still need to unplug the respirator from a person (denying them the chance to live) and plug the respirator to someone else providing them with that precious chance to live. How difficult for the families, the survivors, and the people taken care of them knowing that the live of one comes at the expense of another.

Hope this song will remind you of the friends you have in this little community that are rooting for you…

Edited by easygoingpal

Thank you, PK, for your beautiful, moving, and very human post. God bless you and all you work with. I am sure God is blessing so many others through you.

I lost my first friend to the virus today. When I worked in NYC in the early 2000s I was his mentor while he was doing his professional training. He did very well, was greatly loved in his work. He was in Queens. I will miss him. I take comfort in knowing you, and countless others like you, are helping so many now in need. Thank you.

I could barely contain my anger, fear, frustration, and utter disappointment. We knew this was coming, I knew it was coming but now it is here and it is a palpable real pain, physical, mental, emotional and spiritual. We were given guidelines as to what to tell family members when it is time to take their loved one off the ventilator. They do no have the final word. There is an appeals process, but that process can only last 30 minutes while the patient waiting for the ventilator is manually ventilated, Two more hours will be needed to clean the ventilator and reequip it.

Three people will take turns manually ventilating the patient, Oh did I mention that once you are assigned a color, the person coming off the respirator would have had to be on the respirator for 5 days, so theoretically long enough to turn the corner and get themselves into a higher color group. However, the decision as to who comes off the respirator is made by random computer selection of those in the lowest category.

This is not to say that the assignment of the color group is random.

Patient's are stratified by a variety of factors, age NOT being one of them.

When I went into see the patient, I gowned and gloved and on the way in , I noticed her lunch tray and decided to give a hand to the other staff by bringing it in. PPE (personal protection equipment ) is still sufficient but not plentiful so my act saved one set. I brought her lunch tray in with me and saw a pleasant looking woman who appeared about 15 years younger than her age. She had eyes closed and did not respond when I called her name. I put down her lunch tray next to her untouched breakfast tray and did my exam. She appeared to be comfortable and was definitely someone who was doing much better than her numbers (lab values vital signs and other measurable qualities). I went to leave and the empty breakfast tray and the new lunch tray just haunted me. I opened the packet for her utensils and the vanilla pudding put a bit on the spoon and placed it by her lips. She opened her lips and took a taste. Then another. Some of her fruit cup and then most of her mashed potatoes followed. A bit of meatloaf and then the rest of her pudding. She said nothing. She did not open her eyes, even as I tried to coax her to do so. Finally, on a bit of the meatloaf.

She refused to open. Another offer and another refusal and so I knew after 30 minutes of being fed, she was not taking any more. I said out loud to her, I guess that is it for now and as I left I heard her faintly say: Thank you. I turned and her eyes were open and then, a second later, they closed again. For that second they were so clear and blue and aware and I imagined her quite the beauty in her youth. After that second, she was back in that space where she was when I walked in, but she had let me know she was there.

Your moving and insightful posting has me recounting my blessings, the most fervent being the blessing of having individuals like yourself having our backs in these awful times. Thank you so much.