Feeling like the 80s again

Poincare
This topic is 1495 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I feel like sex is once again Russian roulette. Has an 80s vibe. I moved to NYC in 1986, and was terrified about getting infected with a virus. Better music back then. Bring back Mister Mister.

I’m a shut in now and won’t leave my house unless for a beach walk until the coast is clear. Willing to wait 6 months if necessary. Ordering everything in. And I never considered myself an extremist. More of a dilettante with a hankering for the beauty of men.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Although some similarities, nothing will ever compare with the horror of the beginning and the peak of the AIDS pandemic, before the meds came out in the early/mid 90's. Back in the 80's, getting infected with HIV was a death sentence to all infected. Add the fact that the US government virtually ignored the AIDS pandemic in the early/mid 80's added to the horror of that time. At least with COVID 19 getting the virus is not a death sentence for the majority (as acquiring HIV was in the 80's)....and with COVID 19 the US government and the world are jumping into action .....slowly in the beginning ......but not waiting years before they do anything, as they did with AIDS. I think it took then President Reagan 3 years before he even said the word AIDS. NOTHING will ever compare with the horror of AIDS in the 80's, as people will tell you who lived through it and lost friends, family, and lovers while the government virtually ignored it. Then add the stigma of having HIV/AIDS in the 80's, and there is no comparison. COVID 19 has no stigma.....is not a death sentence to most.....and is being addressed right away by the entire world. The true horror story was HIV/AIDS back in the 80's.

Edited by Dmitri

I had a realization this week, that is how freely people are proclaiming they are "positive" for coronavirus. There is no stigma, no shame....because it is not a gay, sexually transmitted disease. Everyone is an "innocent victim". And the government and research community are throwing everything they have at this new virus. Contrast this with Freddy Mercury, Rock Hudson and thousands of others who kept their infection a secret until the end rather than face the shame and judgement imposed by society. And the failure of our government to respond in a meaningful way because, after all, we were all expendable.

I feel like sex is once again Russian roulette. Has an 80s vibe. I moved to NYC in 1986, and was terrified about getting infected with a virus. Better music back then. Bring back Mister Mister.

I’m a shut in now and won’t leave my house unless for a beach walk until the coast is clear. Willing to wait 6 months if necessary. Ordering everything in. And I never considered myself an extremist. More of a dilettante with a hankering for the beauty of men.

I feel the same way but back then we knew a condom was the way keep yourself safe but now we must practice "physical distance" as corrected by @latbear4blk .

Before PrEP having sex without condoms was an act of irresponsible madness... and yet so many did it and played the Russian roulette with their own lives. I wonder how long will this celibacy go on among us even considering most clients aren't young and healthy and might not be among the lucky 80% who don't need hospitalization.

One of the similarities for me:

There was a segment of the population in the 80s that raged against early suggestions to abstain, or for safe practices.

Today, there seems to be a segment of the population refusing to practice social distancing. California has had to close many state, county and local parks because they were overwhelmed last weekend as the first week of shelter-in-place came to a close. Record attendance.

Perhaps its a human need for control, to adhere to a routine, as normalcy feels like control.

I found myself recalling a scene or two from HBO's Normal Heart, with characters inspired by Kramer arguing about closing bathhouses, as, this week, I watched locals angered by the packed parking lots and shoulder-to-shoulder visitors at parks and beaches.

Although some similarities, nothing will ever compare with the horror of the beginning and the peak of the AIDS pandemic, before the meds came out in the early/mid 90's. Back in the 80's, getting infected with HIV was a death sentence to all infected. Add the fact that the US government virtually ignored the AIDS pandemic in the early/mid 80's added to the horror of that time. At least with COVID 19 getting the virus is not a death sentence for the majority (as acquiring HIV was in the 80's)....and with COVID 19 the US government and the world are jumping into action .....slowly in the beginning ......but not waiting years before they do anything, as they did with AIDS. I think it took then President Reagan 3 years before he even said the word AIDS. NOTHING will ever compare with the horror of AIDS in the 80's, as people will tell you who lived through it and lost friends, family, and lovers while the government virtually ignored it. Then add the stigma of having HIV/AIDS in the 80's, and there is no comparison. COVID 19 has no stigma.....is not a death sentence to most.....and is being addressed right away by the entire world. The true horror story was HIV/AIDS back in the 80's.

I think they are both horror stories in their own right. COVID is causing us to change the way we live. Its affecting every part of our lives and our society. People are living in fear on a daily basis. COVID is also spread easier than HIV. At the height of the AIDS crisis, i was a kid its true. But i do remember it. My parents and siblings didnt change the way they lived at all. We never knew anyone who was affected by AIDS. We all just went about our lives. No fear. Nobody we knew was afraid of catching it. I think AIDS was a horror story for the gay community, and i cant imagine living through that time as a gay person. (I didnt know I would be grow up to be gay during that time).

I cringe when I hear the comparison. Yeah, only if instead of celebrating your diagnosis on youtube they get ostracized by family, friends, and the medical community. A slap to the face from those who only experienced it from the side lines.

I imagine if someone walked into say synagogue and said Covid is our holocaust they'd get the shit kicked out of them.

Back in the 80s was interesting how the HIV crisis interacted with gay politics. The voices questioning the monogamic model imported from mainstream culture were put out, and unity around gay marriage and advocating for a well behave gay model got a definitive impulse.

I wonder how the COVID-19 crisis will interact with migratory policies and multicultural mindsets.

Hopefully once the tests become prevalent some travel will return upon proof of test.

Also, once the antibody test comes many people will learn they have probable immunity and can venture out.

Of course, but you are only thinking in the short term, in this specific crisis. I think we are going to have changes beyond that, like adding some kind of health check to add to the security check points ordeal, and with flash blocking of entries from whole regions of the world at the first sign of a new virus. And changes to everyday life like the extinction of hand shakes and cheek kisses as standard greetings. I would also expect the rise of anti Asian racism.

By the way, what is the word? Asianphobia? Xinophobia? (I am not misspelling xenophobia)

One of the similarities for me:

There was a segment of the population in the 80s that raged against early suggestions to abstain, or for safe practices.

Today, there seems to be a segment of the population refusing to practice social distancing. California has had to close many state, county and local parks because they were overwhelmed last weekend as the first week of shelter-in-place came to a close. Record attendance.

Perhaps its a human need for control, to adhere to a routine, as normalcy feels like control.

I found myself recalling a scene or two from HBO's Normal Heart, with characters inspired by Kramer arguing about closing bathhouses, as, this week, I watched locals angered by the packed parking lots and shoulder-to-shoulder visitors at parks and beaches.

I think it is because the directives weren't clear. A lot of people thought they were doing it right, but they werent. This weekend compliance is much better because the directives are clearer.

The young often engage in dangerous behaviors because they feel that the consequences they are warned about won't happen to them--whether it's AIDS, gonorrhea, addiction, rape or unwanted pregnancy. With COVID-19, the news is basically reinforcing the belief that they are going to be OK, because only older people are going to get really sick and even die. And many of the young never get wiser as they grow older, if they were lucky enough to escape those consequences when they were young.

Of course, but you are only thinking in the short term, in this specific crisis. I think we are going to have changes beyond that, like adding some kind of health check to add to the security check points ordeal, and with flash blocking of entries from whole regions of the world at the first sign of a new virus. And changes to everyday life like the extinction of hand shakes and cheek kisses as standard greetings. I would also expect the rise of anti Asian racism.

By the way, what is the word? Asianphobia? Xinophobia? (I am not misspelling xenophobia)

I think in many ways this will be one of those events that accelerates changes that were coming anyway. Why Amazon and Instacart are hiring 100,000 new permanent employees. Working at home and teleconferencing like Zoom make office buildings less and less relevant. If $20K college courses can be taught online what else can? Cheap electricity makes small personal vehicles prevalent and gas is cheap. People won't flock back to subways and buses. Goodbye movie theaters, hello streaming. Professionally-prepared food tastes just as good delivered at home and without the 20% tip.

All these remote activities were already growing before this latest world virus. This one will make them prevalent.

Automatic border screening for virus when a pandemic strikes should be the rule in the future. And travel from hotspots should be automatically barred until there's a test for the new virus.

I think in many ways this will be one of those events that accelerates changes that were coming anyway. Why Amazon and Instacart are hiring 100,000 new permanent employees. Working at home and teleconferencing like Zoom make office buildings less and less relevant. If $20K college courses can be taught online what else can? Cheap electricity makes small personal vehicles prevalent and gas is cheap. People won't flock back to subways and buses. Goodbye movie theaters, hello streaming. Professionally-prepared food tastes just as good delivered at home and without the 20% tip.

All these remote activities were already growing before this latest world virus. This one will make them prevalent.

Automatic border screening for virus when a pandemic strikes should be the rule in the future. And travel from hotspots should be automatically barred until there's a test for the new virus.

Absolutely. Besides teleworking and communication platforms, imagine the kick for eSports and VR. If I had money I would be investing in those fields.

I was in high school from 82-86 and at college in NYC from 86-90...

Not the most straightforward time to come out of the closet. All the comments above remind me how crazy it was.

When I cam out, my was consumed with fear that I would shortly die from 80s. I’m sure many of you guys in my generation can concur. Spent the 90s in medical school and residency, so mostly avoided the gay scene due to lack of time, emerged in 2000 to finally enjoy being life as an out gay man.....

Every generation has their story to tell....

Professionally-prepared food tastes just as good delivered at home and without the 20% tip.

I'm certain I'm misunderstanding this, because I *know* you wonderful humans are tipping your deliveryfolk well given that they are 1) taking time to deliver your food/goods, 2) costing gas and vehicle wear and tear to do so, 3) essential workers putting themselves at risk, and 4) probably not wealthy, hence why they are taking the risk.

I'm guessing the actual meaning here is that you good folk are tipping some other amount, just not 20%. Right?

Edited by Aaron_Bauder

I'm certain I'm misunderstanding this, because I *know* you all are tipping your deliveryfolk well given that they are 1) taking time to deliver your food/goods, 2) costing gas and vehicle wear and tear to do so, 3) essential workers putting themselves at risk, and 4) probably financially unstable and forced to work, hence why they are taking the risk.

I'm guessing the actual meaning here is that you good folk are some other amount, just not 20%. Right?

Yes. 20%+ had gotten to be a factor in going out anyway. Somehow delivery seems more of a lower-set-tip business. Getting away with a $5 or $10 tip on a $100 meal seems a bargain. I usually do carry-out and having just a tip-jar is really a bargain.